DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 59: McGregor vs. Siver (1/18/2015) - Boston, MA (TD Garden)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_Fight_Night_59_McGregor_vs._Siver_Po

UFC Fight Night 59: McGregor vs. Siver

January 18, 2015

Boston, MA (TD Garden)

Conor McGregor (145) vs. Dennis Siver (146) - McGregor, TKO (elbows and punches), R2 (1:54)

Donald Cerrone (155) vs. Benson Henderson (156) - Cerrone, DEC (unanimous)

Uriah Hall (186) vs. Ronald Stallings (185) - Hall, TKO (doctor stoppage - cut), R1 (3:37)

Norman Parke (156) vs. Gleison Tibau (156) - Tibau, DEC (split)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:

Cathal Pendred (171) vs. Sean Spencer (171) - Pendred, DEC (unanimous)

John Howard (170) vs. Lorenz Larkin (171) - Larkin, TKO (strikes), R1 (2:17)

Lipeng Zhang (156) vs. Chris Wade (156) - Wade, DEC (unanimous)

Patrick Holohan (125) vs. Shane Howell (125) - Holohan, DEC (unanimous)

Johnny Case (156) vs. Frankie Perez (155) - Case, TKO (elbows and punches), R3 (1:54)

Charles Rosa (145) vs. Sean Soriano (146) - Rosa, SUB (D'Arce Choke), R3 (4:43)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Matt Van Buren (205) vs. Sean O'Connell (206) - O'Connell, TKO (punches), R3 (2:11)

Tateki Matsuda (125) vs. Joby Sanchez (126) - Sanchez, DEC (split)

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Lorenz Larkin
Performance of the Night: Conor McGregor

Fight of the Night: Matt Van Buren vs. Sean O'Connell

Attendance: 13,828

Gate: $1.34 million

Rating: 1.4 (2.75 million viewers)

Cancelled Bouts:

Norman Parke vs. Jorge Masvidal - Injury to Masvidal (Back)

Paul Felder vs. Johnny Case - Felder Moved to Another Card

Johnny Case vs. Frank Trevino - Injury to Trevino

Uriah Hall vs. Costas Philippou - Injury to Philippou (Rib)

Benson Henderson vs. Eddie Alvarez - Alvarez Removed Due to Illness

Uriah Hall vs. Louis Taylor - Injury to Taylor (Back)

From what I can glean, should McGregor be victorious on Sunday, the UFC might move the Aldo fight to Vegas on 5/23. The Croke Park execs want the fight, but the Dublin City Council has a 11 p.m. curfew. That means the UFC would have to move the PPV to midday. Dave Allen, the UFC's EMEA brand director, is still working it out. Aviva Stadium (seats 51k) may also be in play.

Dana White promising a title shot to a specific winner usually ends in either disaster or the opposite of the desired outcome or it leads to a dull, disappointing fight.  

Yeah, I am going to say that's not true.

How is that actually going to work since the main card starts at 10:00 and the AFC title game IN NEW ENGLAND is at 6:30 on the same day?   Have they given up the idea of a crowd at this show or is Dana that naive to think that MMA fans don't really care about the Patriots?  Oh and forget about it if the Pats actually lose

I don't have now far Gillette Stadium is to the Garden but even if the game end at 9:00 the idea you are going to haul ass for 3 or 4 fights is nuts.  Especially given the prices of UFC shows lately.   Especially if my team lost.   But maybe I am wrong and there is a strong crowd of non Pats fans in the area

I don't have now far Gillette Stadium is to the Garden but even if the game end at 9:00 the idea you are going to haul ass for 3 or 4 fights is nuts.  Especially given the prices of UFC shows lately.   Especially if my team lost.   But maybe I am wrong and there is a strong crowd of non Pats fans in the area

I believe Simmons has said Gillette is like 45+ minutes from the city and that's under the best of situations and not game day/night.

Dana White promising a title shot to a specific winner usually ends in either disaster or the opposite of the desired outcome or it leads to a dull, disappointing fight.  

Yeah, I am going to say that's not true.

According to UFC President Dana White, heavyweight contender Alistair Overeem will get his chance to fight for UFC gold with a victory over Antonio Silva on the main card of UFC 156

I don't have now far Gillette Stadium is to the Garden but even if the game end at 9:00 the idea you are going to haul ass for 3 or 4 fights is nuts. Especially given the prices of UFC shows lately. Especially if my team lost. But maybe I am wrong and there is a strong crowd of non Pats fans in the area

I believe Simmons has said Gillette is like 45+ minutes from the city and that's under the best of situations and not game day/night.

Millions of people live in those areas. Everyone isn't going to the game. This isn't like when Glover fought in Belo Horizonte during a big local soccer game across town.

I don't have now far Gillette Stadium is to the Garden but even if the game end at 9:00 the idea you are going to haul ass for 3 or 4 fights is nuts. Especially given the prices of UFC shows lately. Especially if my team lost. But maybe I am wrong and there is a strong crowd of non Pats fans in the area

Millions of people live in those areas. Everyone isn't going to the game. This isn't like when Glover fought in Belo Horizonte during a big local soccer game across town.

I'm not really sure I understand your point. I understand millions live in the greater Boston area but the question what was brought up was someone going from the game to the fights.