DVDVR Message Board

Royal Rumble 2015

Matt D

Watch that Out of Touch video a couple pages back, yo.

I ended up calling them to cancel my subscription. The person who answered appeared to be the voice actress for Consuela on Family Guy. She asked me "May I has your name and your last name?" and I knew we were off to a great start. She told me I didn't have to cancel because it was going to expire automatically in February. I told her I didn't believe her, and that I wanted it stopped now. We went back and forth on that for a while. Anyway, that's it for me and WWE for a while.

What have I missed in ROH since 2005?

"No.... no... no cancellation for you. Senor McMahon es no home"

• Like 2

I don't mind paying ten bucks for NXT and easy access to archived shows from NWA, WCW, World Class, etc. The Network is such a good deal even if the current main shows are utter rubbish not worth any money.

I'm glad that people are putting their money where they feel that it is worth it, though. I doubt much of the subscriber base is going to cancel, but I would chuckle if during the next quarterly report, WWE had to admit that they lost subscribers in total. 

I ended up calling them to cancel my subscription. The person who answered appeared to be the voice actress for Consuela on Family Guy. She asked me "May I has your name and your last name?" and I knew we were off to a great start. She told me I didn't have to cancel because it was going to expire automatically in February. I told her I didn't believe her, and that I wanted it stopped now. We went back and forth on that for a while. Anyway, that's it for me and WWE for a while.

Surprisingly, nothing.

If Vince sticks around long enough and realizes that Roman Reigns isn't the future, in a few years we can probably get a repeat of yesterday's show with Sami Zayn in the Daniel Bryan role and Baron Corbin in the Roman Reigns role... and Kane & Big Show in the Kane & Big Show role.

You know what didn't make Roman Reigns look strong? That double elimination at the end. Looked feeble, and more of a fluke/that the other two eliminated themselves/slipped than "Whoa! He just eliminated those 2 by himself". Even if you look at Shawn doing it to Yoko/Vader in '96, that looked more impressive. That just sucked because a) the other guys lost, he didn't win, b) you give them no spot/comeback at the end for the crowd to even try to get into it, or even to put into a hype video for the next few weeks. Instead, he was about to lose, then those 2 guys got side tracked and allowed him help them slip on a banana peel. Roman hasn't been booked as an underdog before now, and I don't see why they start trying now.

I didn't like that there was no end game for The Authority in the Rumble that extended beyond "Big Show and Kane". Especially when you have a character that prides himself on always having a back up plan or whatever (and by whatever I mean hitting a guy with a sledgehammer). Why was Bryan even allowed in the Rumble in the first place? How was Ziggler allowed to draw 30?

Given the lack of options, I'd have gone the bounty angle. Put offers of unnamed favours that can be cashed in for whoever eliminates Reigns, Ambrose, Ryback, Ziggler......maybe deliberately leave Bryan out of it, let the other babyfaces question Bryan's absence and how he got into the Rumble in the first place.....leading to a backstage comment being let slip that they just didn't consider him a threat and that they've underestimated him again. Plant the seeds for a Bryan vs. other top babyface match down the line. Give the other monster heels who did eliminate those guys something to do - a screwy loophole for Barrett to retain his title, Rusev gets a favour in putting his opponent in a 2 on 1 match before their big PPV match to soften him up. Bray gets the first crack at challenging Taker for Mania this year.

No-one buys Kane and Big Show as a threat in that context simply because no-one seems them headlining WrestleMania. Instead of doing that stretch, why don't you have them lay out Reigns backstage (remember Tenryu and Kabuki doing it to Luger in 1994?) and at the very least justify a shitty B-PPV main event instead?

One of the other issues I see as well is that I don't think Reigns has been pinned in a one on one match yet. Either that gets rectified, or you go all in with Reigns winning the title at Mania. Is the bigger story/obstacle for him at this point on the "road to Wrestlemania" whether he can beat Lesnar, or whether he can win the fans over? I think its the latter and the storyline should go in that direction accordingly. Realistically, they can go either way with Lesnar as a face or heel at this point anyway.

Surprisingly, nothing.
Not true. In 2006 alone, you've got the majority of Danielson's title reign, ROH/CZW feud, Aries & Strong's tag title run. There was Jimmy Loves Lacey and the Jacobs/Whitmer feud eventually leading to The Age of the Fall. Then comes Steenerico's feud with the Briscoes and much later the Steen/Generico feud. You have ROH working with Dragon Gate and NOAH. You get Morishima's title reign and Nigel's reign. I kind of tuned out after Gabe was fired. There's more I could have mentioned, but I figured this was a good starting point for someone that's been out of the loop since 2005.
  • Like 2

Canceling the Network won't send the message that you want to send. They'll react by putting up less archived footage because Vince won't get that the CURRENT product is turning people off.

Just stop streaming the current material and watch the archived stuff. They have to keep data on that stuff.

I don't have a problem with Reigns so it's been fun to read some of the more dramatic posts in here about his win.  Minus the random CM Punnk love/gloating parts. He always make his way into these threads somehow.

They didn't do Reigns any favors heading into it.  He had to be at least penciled in as one of the top guys to win it for the past year or so; you would think they have would have him heading into the Rumble with some epic storyline/buildup, especially since he wasn't riding a wave of surging popularity.  Nope.  Instead, he's heading into the Rumble off a dull Big Show feud.

Meanwhile, Bryan has a patent "returning from a career threatening injury Rumble" trope (see: Edge, Triple, Shawn Michaels, etc.) AND a strip of the title gripe in his favor.  His storyline writes itself, before you even factor in Bryan's live audience reaction Vs. Reigns's current live reaction.  Intentional or not, Bryan's storyline smoked whatever they were doing with Reigns heading into the Rumble.  He was going get booed anyway, but at least a good storyline would have gave him some purpose in it.  He had his issues with The Authority but he seem pretty far down their list of main concerns or focuses.  He was out there with nothing and they tried to use The Rock as a band-aid.  Bad form.

I think their best bet would have been having Reigns laying out The Rock.  It would have added some intrigue to the character and put some control back into their court.

Edited by _MJ_

Seriously, the number of people who keep saying "Cancelling the Network doesn't do anything for you" has boggled my mind. It's us paying for there shit. If this company is so dumb they can't put together that A: There big PPV's ending was  booed to hell and gone B: It was immediately followed by a lengthy run of people keeping a hastag about cancelling their subscriptions to their product and that C: A and B might have something to do with people unsubscribing, then.... Wow

• Like 2

Nah, for it to be WM9, it has to be a face saving Roman who has a minimal connection to him.

Like Daniel Bryan.

Or to make it more complex. Bryan comes out to stand up fof Reigns, gets challenged by Heyman, beats Brock.

Then Rollins comes out to cash-in on Daniel Bryan

Nah, for it to be WM9, it has to be a face saving Roman who has a minimal connection to him.

Like Daniel Bryan.

Or to make it more complex. Bryan comes out to stand up fof Reigns, gets challenged by Heyman, beats Brock.

Then, Hulk Hogan comes out to challenge Rollins.

Seriously, the number of people who keep saying "Cancelling the Network doesn't do anything for you" has boggled my mind. It's us paying for there shit. If this company is so dumb they can't put together that A: There big PPV's ending was  booed to hell and gone B: It was immediately followed by a lengthy run of people keeping a hastag about cancelling their subscriptions to their product and that C: A and B might have something to do with people unsubscribing, then.... Wow

I pay for The Network to get access to the awesome archived footage and NXT. I don't want mass cancellations to limit access to the former because Vince gets some crazy idea that fans don't care about the old stuff any more. 

As the Austin podcast and Vince's booking decisions show, he's not good at cause and effect even when the answer is fucking obvious. 

I hope they do a rehash of Wrestlemania 9, have Reigns come so close to beating Lesnar, only for Paul Heyman to throw salt in his eyes (?!?!) and cost him the win. Rock then comes out and avenges his cousin and beats Lesnar in a few seconds with a People's Elbow.

Heyman hits him with that giant old cell phone. He's been keeping it all this time for just such an occasion.

I pay for The Network to get access to the awesome archived footage and NXT. I don't want mass cancellations to limit access to the former because Vince gets some crazy idea that fans don't care about the old stuff any more. 

As the Austin podcast and Vince's booking decisions show, he's not good at cause and effect even when the answer is fucking obvious. 

You can get just about every NXT episode on Hulu Plus for 2 dollars less a month plus other TV shows

Like Daniel Bryan.

Then, Hulk Hogan comes out to challenge Rollins.

then WM ends exclusively on the WWE Network and they make fun of PPV customers

I honestly don't get the knee-jerk reactions and immediate cancellations threats, but I guess that's gonna be a constant issue in this day and age when people don't get exactly what they want.  Millennials...  

So what the Rumble didn't go the way you wanted it.  The championship match was still unbelieveable.  And even on the "worst" shows there's always something worth watching.  I'm not sure if there's anything they could possibly do that would make me unsubscribe, I love the WWE, always have and always will. 

• Like 1

It isn't "millennials." It's just that we live in a consumerist society. Consumers will try to influence the products they like however they can, and the internet makes it easier for that to happen. 

I also think that this reaction is a bit different than the typical "we didn't like the booking" reaction. I think there is some clear hostility between Vince and the core adult fans, or at least the core adult fans have this hostility and sense that like hostility might be coming back at them from Vince.