DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAMES (2015 & Beyond)

RIPPA

Also, WHO CARES! Sometimes games are shit. Typically, if a game takes that long to produce, chances are even greater that it's shit. That's not a bad thing and I get how that may disappoint folks, but the best thing that any gamer disappointed with bad word of mouth for a game or has distrusts for those views is to play it yourself. 

This is my almost my exact opinion. I can't for the life of me understand people being mad about finding out a game sucks before they waste their money on it.  People are pissed that The Order: 1886 is getting terrible reviews, and I'm glad because I found out it sucked before I bought it.  Not only that, there are  huge sales on both PS4 and XBone so I can play actual good games with the money I saved not buying that crap.  Odds are if it sells poorly you'll be able to get it on PlayStation Plus if you're still interested.  Games are supposed to be fun, but people take this shit too damn seriously.  There are so many great games to play, why is there so much focus on the games we don't want to play?

• Like 2

Well that's dumb because Giant Bomb shit all over AC Unity, continues to shit on AC Unity, does their reviews out of 5 stars, and they gave it 2 out of 5 stars.

Maybe know what the fuck you're talking about.

Are you dating Giant Bomb itself?  Fine, replace "Giant Bomb" with "Gamespot", realize that he's making a broad generalization on a message board about inconsistency in "games journalism" (lol) rather than a presentation of factual evidence in a deposition, and maybe stop being so tightly-wound about irrelevant bullshit.

Yikes, I wasn't aware my comments invoked this much of a reaction.

I lump Giant Bomb in with other sites because I don't really see any actual critical assessment of video games anymore. I do see a double standard taking place however: if a game is from a well-established franchise or developer, it almost gets a free pass. Then the sites seem to be perfectly fine with functioning as the marketing components of publishers. It would like if TIME magazine was stopped giving books for reviews by Knopf because they didn't like their last review. 

Albeit it's starting to happen less at the start of the PS4/XB1 gen because let's face it -- there's no getting around a broken game being released.

The Order: 1886 isn't a broken game at all (there's no or very little technical issues and it runs at a steady 30 fps per Digital Foundry), it just has the unfortunate position of being a not very exciting or interesting game and doesn't have anything new to offer other than to be a graphical showcase.

And I'm well aware that I'm on the wrong side of this and I'm backing the wrong horse but oh well.

• Like 1

Also, WHO CARES! Sometimes games are shit. Typically, if a game takes that long to produce, chances are even greater that it's shit. That's not a bad thing and I get how that may disappoint folks, but the best thing that any gamer disappointed with bad word of mouth for a game or has distrusts for those views is to play it yourself. 

This is my almost my exact opinion. I can't for the life of me understand people being mad about finding out a game sucks before they waste their money on it.  People are pissed that The Order: 1886 is getting terrible reviews, and I'm glad because I found out it sucked before I bought it.  Not only that, there are  huge sales on both PS4 and XBone so I can play actual good games with the money I saved not buying that crap.  Odds are if it sells poorly you'll be able to get it on PlayStation Plus if you're still interested.  Games are supposed to be fun, but people take this shit too damn seriously.  There are so many great games to play, why is there so much focus on the games we don't want to play?

Here's my question...is it that the game sucks or that the game is 'short'?

Disappointed about The Order.  Game looked like it had potential.  

All this nonsense about quality and all this nonsense about how they scanned cloth from the 1800s to make it look authentic in-game.  It's like they forgot to make a great game.

Guest The Magnificent 7

I think reviews are fine, but to further stomp POE's idea in the ground, Giant Bomb continues to get further and further away from reviews because it's tedious and as they mentioned on their most recent Bombcast, they apply their opinion to nearly everything on the site. I think the Quick Looks are one of the most honest "review" formats out there. Someone sits down with a game that they've already been playing for awhile with another member from the site. The person who is not as familiar asks questions I feel most consumers would ask while the person who is experienced with the game plays it anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour and a half. That's pretty much their review. Sometimes they just leave things with a Quick Look and other times they wind up publishing an actual review for whatever reason. In the case of the Order, they did both.

Ain't nobody got time for that. 

When I want to read (or watch) a review of a game it better not be 45+ minutes.  And how do they label it a Quick Look, if it takes an hour and a half?  That's Nutnfancy-like where the person just likes the sound of their own voice too much.  If you can't tell me in a page or two or in 5 minutes or less why a game is good or not you aren't cut out for the job. 

Their podcasts go 2-3 hours. There is a whole subset of gamers out there who spend more time critiquing games than actually enjoying them. The pompousness and entitled self righteousness of many game "journalists" and sites like NeoGaf is such a huge turn off for me.

• Like 1

Here's my question...is it that the game sucks or that the game is 'short'?

The consensus is that it is short, gives you no freedom, the gameplay is too reliant on quicktime events, and the graphically user interface seems to be only interested in looking good even when it comes at the expense of playing the game.  I've read multiple places that it is essentially a non interactive movie that added gameplay elements to it.  It is basically a tech demo that shows how beautiful games can look on PS4, but does nothing to show how good games can play on the PS4.

The longest video game thing I have ever watched was the speedrun of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link in like an hour and 6 minutes and it was fucking amazing. But if it had a dude talking I would have turned it off 5 minutes in, so that's just where I'm at.

EDIT: I guess "The King of Kong: A Fistfull of Quarters" would actually be the longest video game thing I've watched. And it was awesome. One of the best random documentaries ever.

a small thing to remember here, while we're all "UGH VIDEOS OF GAMES BEING PLAYED" is that 1) the combination of press access and unique video hosting allows Giant Bomb to play new games in actual gameplay settings free of press restrictions of what they can and can't show. 2) Gameplay speaks better than reviews. 3) no one reads anymore anyways lol

The longest video game thing I have ever watched was the speedrun of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link in like an hour and 6 minutes and it was fucking amazing. But if it had a dude talking I would have turned it off 5 minutes in, so that's just where I'm at.

EDIT: I guess "The King of Kong: A Fistfull of Quarters" would actually be the longest video game thing I've watched. And it was awesome. One of the best random documentaries ever.

The King of Kong was awesome. I always thought my dad was a badass at Mrs. Pacman b/c he could get up to about 60 boards but those guys blew me away. It was also hilarious to see that the one guy who was the best Pacman player was branching out into bbq sauce. The segment of him going into grocery stores and moving his sauces into more advantageous positions on the shelf was pretty funny.

• Like 3

Typing '[name of game] longplay' into youtube and then zipping around the progress bar is still one of the most influential things for me when it comes to deciding whether to buy a game or not. Never felt the need for people to add words over the top, but to be fair I've most likely already read words before getting to that stage.

• 2 weeks later...

Amplitude is looking pretty sweet on PS4. It's a shame they don't have the music budget they did under Sony's auspices in the PS2 era, but still. Probably my most anticipated 2015 game (and I only put $30 into the Kickstarter, so it's not like I'm one of those crazy invested people.)

• Like 1

In a shock to no one...

Harmonix has made Rock Band 4 official

The highlights so far:

- nearly all, if not all, DLC will carry forward (for free) within the same ecosystem (360->XB1, PS3->PS4)

- tough noogies on the on-disc songs

- so far, tough noogies on using your old instruments though this is being worked on

- ixnay on the keyboard stuff

Check out the video in the above link.  It's a nice look at the folks making the game.

• Like 1

I think they said no to the RB3 on disc songs...I thought the first two were still on the table.

I think you're right.  That's probably because they already have some "carry it forward" deal on the songs from the first two games but don't on the third.  So the on-disc stuff from 1 & 2 are essentially DLC as far as #3 is concerned, thus it gets carried forward.

I guess I'm ok with that because I bought the RB 3 disc, but never used it. I have soooooooooooooo much DLC though, and I'm really, really stoked that RB 4 is coming to the PS4 and XBone. More than Halo 5, this may actually sell me on an XBone just because all of my current RB content is on the 360.

I'm not that upset. Between the aforementioned ARKHAM KNIGHT, MGS5, the next AC game, whatever big thing DESTINY has coming this fall, and whatever else I'm forgetting, my schedule of AAA games was already pretty stacked for the rest of the year.