DVDVR Message Board

JCP "The Good Old Days" documentary

I saw this at the "world premiere" late Friday night at Fanfest. I was blown away by it & honestly think it's probably the best documentary I've seen on wrestling. I'm biased due to the subject matter being the promotion I grew up on for sure but this was SO well done. I only have a few minor quibbles with it, one being that they reused a lot of the same pictures over & over in the B-roll. I think I would have rather them just keep the camera on whoever was talking for longer rather than showing the exact same picture of Crockett Sr. for the 15th time. Maybe they could have gotten scans of old posters or newspaper ads for shows to spice up the B-roll a bit. My other complaint is I thought the ending part of how the promotion died, what the money issues were, who was "at fault" etc. dragged on a bit too long. Cutting 5-10 minutes out of that segment would have made the movie much more concise. I don't think it's an exaggeration that the last 20-30 minutes were spent on the end of the company so the movie clocked in at around 2:15.I take my hat off to the producer for bringing this in on time though. I was among a group that talked to him after the screening & he had 3 days after getting home from interviewing Crockett Jr. until the deadline to get the film edited, etc. to be sent to the duplicator. It would have been a very different movie without Jim Jr. or even David & Jackie Crockett. The way I understand it he may not have had any Crocketts at one point.The DVD set has arrived at my house but haven't watched any of the extras yet. The doc will enthrall you though & it's easy to sit thru the whole thing in one sitting. Highest possible recommendation.

The inclusion of interviews with the Crocketts and match footage really helped put it over the top and into the upper echelon of wrestling documentaries. Definitely makes my top 5.

David was interviewed for Rise & Fall of WCW or Best of Starrcade or one of those other DVD's that WWE produced in the past 5 years so I would assume he is on decent terms with them.

I so want that poster in JJ's house, with the Horsemen in suits toasting behind two bloodied jabronies and a busted table. So sweet.

I still have mine, as well as my "Roos" poster with Animal, Sting, Flair and RSteiner modeling their fine footwear.hoarder,RAF
They've got pockets

watched the doc tonight.

very entertaining, but perhaps harmed a little by not being able to interview Dusty and Flair, having to rely on old shoot interviews. It would have been interesting to hear Dusty answer all the critics who seemed to blame him as much or more so than Jim Crockett for the downfall of the company.

And while a great many people are interviewed, I was curious about some of the people not taking part, such as Nikita Koloff, Greg Valentine and a few others. Did they not want to do it, wanted too much money for the interview or under a WWE Legends contract, like Flair, Dusty, Arn and Windham?

Hopefully watching the extras tomorrow.

"Make it good," is one of my favourite things I've gotten from wrestling after all my years of fandom. Not just a great angle but with such a wonderfully hilarious punchline. Whenever a friend or I is about to do something stupid, we give a "MAKE IT GOOD!" Dusty shout.