DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Festival Concert Thread

Chaos

I bought tickets to see St. Paul & the Broken Bones at the Alabama Theatre in November. They are a band that I have had many opportunities to see over the last 18 months, but I have always ran into things where I was unable to make it. (One of the curses of having to drive usually 3-4 hours to see a concert). 

I also hope to pull off The Foo Fighters in October, so I can say that I have seen them live, and it looks like Umphrey's Mcgee is going to be doing a Halloween run potentially at the Tabernacle, which sounds like a can't miss party.

I got invited to a Phish show tomorrow night, but I rather chew off my own arm (even if there will be really good drugs there).

I almost went to the Phish shows in Atlanta/Tuscaloosa this weekend despite my reaction to them at Roo being "impressive light show."

I've been on a Jam Band kick as of late. Listening to Dead, Umphrey's, String Cheese, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Weird Al puts on a completely insane show. Highly recommended. At first I was frustrated by the costume changes (did he really need the Devo costume just for "Dare To Be Stupid"?) but I figure as short as most of them were it probably added up to the length of an intermission in a "regular" 2 hour show.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Saw Motley Crue and Alice Cooper a few weeks ago at Barclays. Fun show, so sad this is it for Motley as they are one of my all time faves. Alice was amazing and is a true legend.

The Scorpions and Queensrych play Barclays next month and Judas Fucking Priest plays Pru Center in November. Priest is just so great live, if you get the chance to see them go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Seeing Billy Idol tonight as one of the "late night" (although it starts at 8) shows by ACL bands. I was surprised to find out he isn't even 60 yet, given that he seemed eight thousand years old in THE WEDDING SINGER 17 years ago. But I loved the songs that got radio play when I was little ("Eyes Without a Face", "White Wedding", "Rebel Yell" and "Mony Mony" when I was a little older but not old enough to research actual R&B yet) and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to see him when it may never come 'round again.

I got invited to a Phish show tomorrow night, but I rather chew off my own arm (even if there will be really good drugs there).

I almost went to the Phish shows in Atlanta/Tuscaloosa this weekend despite my reaction to them at Roo being "impressive light show."

I've been on a Jam Band kick as of late. Listening to Dead, Umphrey's, String Cheese, etc.

Phish seems to have turned a corner since Bonnaroo. Not back up to 1997 standards, but they've played better this year than they have in, damn, probably 15 years. There should be a bunch of live videos of this year from the Live Phish webcasts on YouTube, if they haven't had them taken down.

Like moe.? They're fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Joe Jackson was a pretty amazing show. Half a dozen songs alone at the piano, then added drums for "Fast Forward", then bass for "Is She Really Going Out With Him?" and finally electric guitar for "Real Men." Played probably 90 percent of the songs I wanted to hear (and nothing that felt like a waste of a song) and just knocked it out of the park.

• 2 months later...

I went to a local band showcase Saturday night.  1 band from Columbus and 3 from Cincinnati.  The top 2 bands, The Yugos and Multimagic, were both really good and I would see either again.  

When the Yugos were setting up, they brought out 2 tube TVs that were playing static.  So, that was interesting.  But they put on a good show.  They sounded like a mix of The Killers, Real Estate, and The Drums.  They were very high energy; their drummer jumped on his kit and into the crowd.

Multimagic were very good too.  Dream pop stuff.

I went to a local band showcase Saturday night.  1 band from Columbus and 3 from Cincinnati.  The top 2 bands, The Yugos and Multimagic, were both really good and I would see either again.  

When the Yugos were setting up, they brought out 2 tube TVs that were playing static.  So, that was interesting.  But they put on a good show.  They sounded like a mix of The Killers, Real Estate, and The Drums.  They were very high energy; their drummer jumped on his kit and into the crowd.

Multimagic were very good too.  Dream pop stuff.

Jack White did something similar with the tvs for his last stage set up on his "Lazaretto" tour.