DVDVR Message Board

2015 Non-Festival Concert Thread

Chaos

I hope to see a few more shows in 2015. At the moment, I have the following shows on my tentative schedule.

1/25 - St. Paul & the Broken Bones - Pensacola, FL

2/6 - Umphrey's McGee - Ryman Auditorium - Nashville, TN

4/11 - The Decemberists - Atlanta, GA

4/26 - Wilco - Tallahassee, FL (Already have tickets to this one).

• 3 weeks later...

April 4th, Stevie Wonder (my favorite musician of all time) performing Songs in the Key of Life at the (horrible) Frank Erwin Center. I've only seen him once, at ACL Fest. I was close enough to hear him (they had sound problems and bleedover if you were more than a certain distance from the stage) and it was really good, but I hated the people around me and being packed in like a sardine. So this will be much nicer.

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to see Swans on Tuesday here in Cincinnati. I have never seen them live before and am pretty excited.

We have had a snow storm here everyday here basically every day in the past week. I wasn't going to go if it was snowing that night, but it seems like it will be clear on Tuesday. So, I am glad.

• Like 1

I am going to see Swans on Tuesday here in Cincinnati. I have never seen them live before and am pretty excited.

We have had a snow storm here everyday here basically every day in the past week. I wasn't going to go if it was snowing that night, but it seems like it will be clear on Tuesday. So, I am glad.

bring earplugs but take them out for the finale

you will know the finale because it sounds like a stooges song

Seeing Swans perform is a great experience. But be prepared to feel as if you're going to crap your pants from how loud it can get.

I'm going to see Cursive perform The Ugly Organ in a couple of weeks. Had no idea they were doing this until my friend offered me a free ticket. Haven't really kept up with them since their Mama, I'm Swollen album.

bring earplugs but take them out for the finale

you will know the finale because it sounds like a stooges song

Thanks for the advice. I went to the drug store and picked up a pair.

The show last night was awesome! I can honestly say that I've never experienced anything like it before. I couldn't just feel the music in my body, it rattled my bones.

I didn't know what to expect from the crowd on a Tuesday night, but it was pretty good. I'd say about 300 were there. I was talking to somebody there who saw them at Bonnaroo and said there were only like 30 people there to see Swans.

• Like 1

The show last night was awesome! I can honestly say that I've never experienced anything like it before. I couldn't just feel the music in my body, it rattled my bones.

I didn't know what to expect from the crowd on a Tuesday night, but it was pretty good. I'd say about 300 were there. I was talking to somebody there who saw them at Bonnaroo and said there were only like 30 people there to see Swans.

I think the year they played the festival was one of the two I went to for Bonnaroo. I think it was a year that saw a lot of conflicts around their set, so that does not surprise me.

There tends to be a hive mentality with Roo to where people start talking and going 'what shows are you going to see?" and end up changing their schedules to follow the pack.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw Cursive. Oh man. Great show. So glad they played "Excerpts from Various Notes" and "The Great Decay." Even more excited that Gretta Cohn was on cello duty. Out of the three times I've seen them over the past 10 years, this was easily the best. Tim was so happy!

Madsplash, I might go to the Converge show also. Not really into that type of music anymore, but I've always wanted to see Converge. I'd imagine they put on a very energetic performance, just based on recent clips. The vocalist still looks like a kid.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I went to see The Bright Light Social Hour last night. It was a really fun show. It was good crowd too; people were dancing and having a good time. They played a good mix of the more bluesy stuff from their first CD and the more electro stuff from their new CD.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm seeing the replacements tonight. They were probably my first "favorite band", and I just sort of assumed I would never get a chance to see them, especially after Wetserberg fucked his arm up a couple years ago. This is going to sound super hipster, but I think it's probably been about 4 years since I saw a show that wasn't either Swans or in a basement. I'm pretty excited. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Going to see John Anderson and Merle Haggard this weekend in Shipshewana, IN. Anderson is there Friday night and Merle is there on Saturday. Shipshewana is right in the heart of Indiana's Amish Country.

• 2 weeks later...

Both concerts last weekend kicked ass. Anderson didn't have an opening act and played for an hour and a half straight and started with "Old Chunk Of Coal" and finished with an encore of a new song "Y'all Are Beautiful". Really tight band and the crowd was really into it.
Haggard had an opening act, his son Noel(who is a spitting image of Merle) and is a really good performer. He played for twenty-five minutes with The Strangers as his backing band, there was a twenty minute intermission and then it was showtime. He came out wearing a black cowboy hat and shades, after a while the hat and shades came off and then went back on. The venue has video screens and when the cameras focused on Merle you could see him visibly shaking a bit as he sang and played guitar. It was hit after hit after hit after hit and then they played an instrumental on which Merle played fiddle. And I can't remember the name of the song for the life of me. They finished up with "Okie From Muskogee" and didn't do an encore. Again a great show and the crowd was really into it, Merle's youngest son, Ben, is the lead guitar player in The Strangers.

I'm glad I got to see both of these guys.

I was at a Confederate Railroad concert on Friday and witnessed one of those situations where you feel SO embarrassed for someone.  There was an early 20s, I’m assuming local, guy that opened for them.  From the little I heard I think he just did covers of popular current country songs but was selling a CD.  Anyway they had apparently arranged for him to join them on stage for a Waylon Jennings cover during their set.  Rather than enter from the side he just walked up to the front of the stage from the crowd & jumped on stage, looking totally impromptu to the audience.  One of the guitar players had to point him to where he was supposed to be.  He went over behind a mic & started shooting selfie video of himself.  This continued for at least a minute or 2.  He tried to sing along but appeared more interested in marking out & filming himself.  He was supposed to join in on a chorus & SANG THE WRONG SONG.  The lead singer, as nicely as he possibly could, kind of stopped & pointed out that he was singing the wrong song, that they had a discussion earlier where he said that he only knew one Waylon song, but that wasn’t the one they were planning to sing.  They told him this & he said he would go learn the proper song before show time.  All the while this dude is still filming himself at arm’s length.  So CRR realized they weren’t getting thru to this kid so started doing the song the kid knew.  He finally did put the phone away & sing as he was supposed to.  They were extremely tolerant of his actions including mugging behind him for his filming and even encouraged him on the way out.  But man, this was embarrassing.

• 1 month later...

Got tickets for Joe Jackson on 10/12 and the Cult on 10/28. That's two long-standing shows off my bucket list in under 3 weeks.  No idea what JJ's new album will be like, so I hope it's a "pop" album (and thus tour) and not more jazz, even though I'm sure I'll enjoy a jazz show.

This is shaping up to be the summer where I go to shows for the friends, not the bands.

I seriously have a ticket to a Five Finger Death Punch/Papa Roach concert.

At least Avenged Sevenfold was good last month. Not a great band, but really excellent live performers.

Every year the bbc takes over the royal albert hall for a month and a bit and does what's known as "the proms"

All terribly british, stiff upper lip and all that. land of hope and glory, sort of thing.

Except nowadays its really not. It still plays the classics but it's branching out into popular media with the dr who proms for example.

And this year - to celebrate Radio 1's partnership with ibiza and the dance music scene, they turned the royal albert hall into a nightclub.

Anyone with a penchant for dance music or would like to see something truly original needs to watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6yfeEJz1GY#

Pete Tong looks like a dog with two tails...