DVDVR Message Board

Last night, I went to Bunbury in Cincinnati. Tame Impala played in a torrential downpour and it made for a memorable experience.

Royal Blood also put on a great set, but they always do with the energy that they bring.

super pissed I'll be missing Royal Blood next week at Bonnaroo. I'm working traffic Wednesday night into Thursday morning and all day Friday, so I'll miss their set (3:45pm). Even if I wasn't working, I don't know if I could pick them over Between the Buried & Me, whose set is at the same time.

THURSDAY: Strand of Oaks > Iceage > The Growlers > Benjamin Booker

FRIDAY: Atmosphere > Run the Jewels > Flying Lotus

SATURDAY: Ralphie May & Jeff Ross > The War on Drugs > My Morning Jacket > Salad Days (Cinema Tent) > Slayer > D'Angelo

SUNDAY: Reggie Watts > Shabazz Palaces > Mo > Freddie Gibbs & Madlib > Caribou

I'm missing so much good stuff on Friday, it's killing me. But I can't complain about a free wristband.

I wanted to wish everyone a safe trip to Bonnaroo if you are going. I am bummed that I could not swing the farm this year, which means next year I will not allow myself to go three years without a high five going into the arch, an Amish Donut, or Spicy Pie!

• Like 1

super pissed I'll be missing Royal Blood next week at Bonnaroo. I'm working traffic Wednesday night into Thursday morning and all day Friday, so I'll miss their set (3:45pm). Even if I wasn't working, I don't know if I could pick them over Between the Buried & Me, whose set is at the same time.

THURSDAY: Strand of Oaks > Iceage > The Growlers > Benjamin Booker

FRIDAY: Atmosphere > Run the Jewels > Flying Lotus

SATURDAY: Ralphie May & Jeff Ross > The War on Drugs > My Morning Jacket > Salad Days (Cinema Tent) > Slayer > D'Angelo

SUNDAY: Reggie Watts > Shabazz Palaces > Mo > Freddie Gibbs & Madlib > Caribou

I'm missing so much good stuff on Friday, it's killing me. But I can't complain about a free wristband.

Iceage went from being one of my favorite bands to kinda sucking on their most recent album, so if you're looking for something like the first 2 LPs be warned.

Ended up getting off work early on Friday, and a note to self: Don't get in the pit for Between the Buried & Me. Holy shit.

The feedback I got from this year was very weird. I think a lot of people agreed that this was a better experience than last year, but it was very first-timer heavy and a lot younger. Also, not letting people experience walking under the arch was really dumb.

I know metal fans are usually the most opinionated, and the ones that don't welcome new fans into the fold for some bands - but my experience at BTBAM was pretty awful. I asked a few guys if they play anything from Colors, because that's the album I know more than any from their discography and I love it. All I got were eyerolls and being ignored. Not everyone that's a few feet away from the stage wants to be involved in a moshpit, either - and I didn't get into it voluntarily. I was 3 rows from the stage, and mostly all these neckbeard (I say that lovingly, as someone who used to have one until a few weeks ago) metal types rushed forward and just started shoving everyone, mostly the people trying to enjoy the music and not have their brain being beat from one side of their head to the other. I have blood vessels in my left eye that busted because the guy in front of me wasn't paying attention to his surroundings while headbanging. Dragging girls that weigh probably 90lbs, give or take, into the pit when they're just standing there isn't cool - it's not what Bonnaroo is about. Or used to be, anyway. Enjoy the music however you want, but don't fault me for not enjoying it the way you do.

Then, at Run the Jewels, I got a bunch of dirty looks and people telling me to participate because I was just standing in the middle of the crowd, enjoying the show Killer Mike and El-P were putting on for us. I don't like crowd participation, ie jumping up and down, hand salutes, etc. I prefer to just watch and listen and absorb it all.

This is the first year I've ever had experiences like this, and I'm going to blame it on the overly passionate fans of particular bands they brought to the farm this year. I don't know if Kendrick Lamar played it, because fuck him, but "Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe" would have been very appropriate this year, because the newbies and (overly) passionate fans were doing just that. The newbies less so, I encountered a lot while working there, and I think most 'Roo vets just want to help them enjoy 'Roo to the fullest extent and for them to have a good enough time to where they'll be 'Roo vets in a few years.

I know metal fans are usually the most opinionated, and the ones that don't welcome new fans into the fold for some bands - but my experience at BTBAM was pretty awful. I asked a few guys if they play anything from Colors, because that's the album I know more than any from their discography and I love it. All I got were eyerolls and being ignored. Not everyone that's a few feet away from the stage wants to be involved in a moshpit, either - and I didn't get into it voluntarily. I was 3 rows from the stage, and mostly all these neckbeard (I say that lovingly, as someone who used to have one until a few weeks ago) metal types rushed forward and just started shoving everyone, mostly the people trying to enjoy the music and not have their brain being beat from one side of their head to the other. I have blood vessels in my left eye that busted because the guy in front of me wasn't paying attention to his surroundings while headbanging. Dragging girls that weigh probably 90lbs, give or take, into the pit when they're just standing there isn't cool - it's not what Bonnaroo is about. Or used to be, anyway. Enjoy the music however you want, but don't fault me for not enjoying it the way you do.

Then, at Run the Jewels, I got a bunch of dirty looks and people telling me to participate because I was just standing in the middle of the crowd, enjoying the show Killer Mike and El-P were putting on for us. I don't like crowd participation, ie jumping up and down, hand salutes, etc. I prefer to just watch and listen and absorb it all.

This is the first year I've ever had experiences like this, and I'm going to blame it on the overly passionate fans of particular bands they brought to the farm this year. I don't know if Kendrick Lamar played it, because fuck him, but "Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe" would have been very appropriate this year, because the newbies and (overly) passionate fans were doing just that. The newbies less so, I encountered a lot while working there, and I think most 'Roo vets just want to help them enjoy 'Roo to the fullest extent and for them to have a good enough time to where they'll be 'Roo vets in a few years.

I realize that people enjoy different things in different ways, but I'm one who thinks it's weird when someone in the middle of the crowd is just kinda standing there while almost everyone else is dancing/jumping/waving their hands in the air like they just don't care.

I feel you on the metal/punk thing where being right up front equal wanting to mosh. I also pretty much hate the modern mosh pit and all the pit ninjas.

I realize that people enjoy different things in different ways, but I'm one who thinks it's weird when someone in the middle of the crowd is just kinda standing there while almost everyone else is dancing/jumping/waving their hands in the air like they just don't care.

I feel you on the metal/punk thing where being right up front equal wanting to mosh. I also pretty much hate the modern mosh pit and all the pit ninjas.

I was really high if that helps any :P

• Like 1

Quick reactions to recent festival lineups that were recently released.

Voodoo: This was weaker than their usual weak standards for lineups. I am oddly intrigued about seeing Ozzy on Halloween though.

Suwanee Hulaween: How can I convince my then wife that this will make for a fun weekend because that lineup looks insanely fun? Although an additional $200 for camping only the last two days of the festival = not cool.

Music Midtown: Wow, I never would have guessed they would have struck out this badly with a lineup. If you want a super-80s mish-mash lineup. I guess this is for you.

The Dead's "Fare Thee Well" 50th anniversary final shows start today in Cali. I'll be watching the three Chicago ones next week via webstream. I really wanted to go to Chicago to be there in person but, oh well.

The Dead was never really in my lexicon until recently. Outside of a couple tunes (Casey Jones, obviously). With the final shows coming up, I was hoping to find a good gateway into them; however, with bands like that, I find just listening to key bootlegs/live shows are better than proper studio albums. Would you have any suggestions of good ones to seek out?

The Dead's "Fare Thee Well" 50th anniversary final shows start today in Cali. I'll be watching the three Chicago ones next week via webstream. I really wanted to go to Chicago to be there in person but, oh well.

The Dead was never really in my lexicon until recently. Outside of a couple tunes (Casey Jones, obviously). With the final shows coming up, I was hoping to find a good gateway into them; however, with bands like that, I find just listening to key bootlegs/live shows are better than proper studio albums. Would you have any suggestions of good ones to seek out?

I will put together a list. With the Dead it's all about the live shows anyway, and almost every one they played over the course of 30 years was recorded and available.

That'd be great. Not much of a Jam Band guy. I still struggle with Phish/WSP, but some of these more recent bands like Umphrey's, Revivalists, etc. have started to get some play, and I will occasionally run through a Dead playlist on spotify that's just random live stuff, but I always prefer full sets because you get a feel for the peaks and valleys for a crowd.

There are so many people I know who are going to be at the Dead shows in Chicago. I couldn't swing the shows financially when they were first announced, and by the time they mentioned the Cali shows and the prices dropped way down, I had already made other summer plans and couldn't find the time off. Guess it wasn't meant to be. It's gonna be a crazy three days for a whole bunch of people.  

Chaos, I'm sure Johnny will have different opinions than me, but one of the fun things about the Dead is how available all the shows are in basically any format. I would say that if you want a good idea of what an entire show was like at close to peak form, listen to the Ithaca show from 5/8/77. Really there are a bunch of awesome shows from that tour. Talking to my dad about it, he prefers the Winterland shows from that same period. If you want to listen to an officially released live album, Europe 72 is pretty great, although it jumps around a bunch so you don't really get a feel for an entire show. One, Two and Three from the vault are all awesome, although I remember not liking two from the vault when I was young and my dad was trying to find shows to introduce me to the sound, so maybe it isn't the greatest introduction. There are so many good Dick's Picks. If you want something different from what you'll generally find recommended, the acoustic show from volume 8 is pretty cool. If you want them at their Jammiest, Dick's Picks volume 4 has three 30 minute plus versions back to back to back of Dark Star, Other One and Love Light. That's probably enough stuff to get you started for an evening if nothing else. 

• Like 1

Chaos, I'm sure Johnny will have different opinions than me, but one of the fun things about the Dead is how available all the shows are in basically any format. I would say that if you want a good idea of what an entire show was like at close to peak form, listen to the Ithaca show from 5/8/77. Really there are a bunch of awesome shows from that tour. Talking to my dad about it, he prefers the Winterland shows from that same period. If you want to listen to an officially released live album, Europe 72 is pretty great, although it jumps around a bunch so you don't really get a feel for an entire show. One, Two and Three from the vault are all awesome, although I remember not liking two from the vault when I was young and my dad was trying to find shows to introduce me to the sound, so maybe it isn't the greatest introduction. There are so many good Dick's Picks. If you want something different from what you'll generally find recommended, the acoustic show from volume 8 is pretty cool. If you want them at their Jammiest, Dick's Picks volume 4 has three 30 minute plus versions back to back to back of Dark Star, Other One and Love Light. That's probably enough stuff to get you started for an evening if nothing else. 

I never bothered to check if the Live Music portion of Archive had an iPhone app. Apparently, there is an E-Tree app, so I did download that.  Fun thing about these older tapes is that there are about 8 different versions of the same set list floating around. Front part of that 5/8 set is a good listen so far.

Look for Philly 89 from JFK Stadium, Landover 3/15/1990, basically any show from the Spring 90 tour. Especially 3/29 Nassau where Branford Marsalis sits in despite never before listening to them. The second set is magic.

The Dead Fare Thee Well shows from Chicago have been absolutely tremendous. Trey has fit right in and has brought his own style to things while honoring the music and without being a Jerry clone. And the boys just look like they're having a wonderful time on stage. Tonight's show is winding down, and something really cool happened. Two of my old Jersey companions who are there, Bobby and Erin, had their first baby this past year, an adorable little angel they named "Cassidy" after the Dead tune of the same name. Well, the band played "Cassidy" tonight in the second set.

• 3 months later...

After waffling all summer, Fun Fun Fun is officially my first major music festival. Medical expenses forced me to do Friday only (the two top acts I wanted to see being CHVRCHES and Cheap Trick, who are back to back on the same stage that day), unfortunately, but it's still crazy that it's taken me five years in Austin to go.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So...FFF day one.

I had never done anything like this before; I'd gone to all-day outdoor concerts that were *called* festivals (most notably a 1999 Earth Day festival sponsored by Enron and anchored by Barenaked Ladies), but a multi-stage multi-day Actual Festival with 3 bands, a comedy show and a wrestling show going on at any given time was new.  Early in the day, I made it a point to sit for at least 2 songs by every band; later in the day I had to pick and choose as the crowd thicked up.  I would never, ever have seen the Dwarves outside a festival situation, but I'm glad I saw at least one complete Black Stage set outside of the early-afternoon local acts.  Cheap Trick were a bit of a letdown after years of wanting to see them, less because of anything they did than because the mix was bad and Robin got drowned out on several songs. I had fun, but I want to see them outside of a fest environment now.  CHVRCHES, Viet Cong and Toro y Moi were all excellent sets.  Antemasque is pretty emphatically not my thing, but they did a Joe Jackson cover and seeing them meant I was six rows from the front for Cheap Trick and CHVRCHES, so I'm not complaining too loudly.

Having done it once, I really want to do the full-weekend experience for ACL or FFF next year but it would be contingent on convincing friends to join me.  Being alone in a crowd that size for 3 days solid would be bad news, I think.