DVDVR Message Board

I'm torn between my annual trek to Bonnaroo, or Austin PsychFest: Levitation. 'Roo will probably win out every year until I get a better job where I can actually afford plane tickets, but, man... that lineup for PsychFest is pretty incredible for a small festival on a ranch in Texas. Either way, I'll get to hang out with my Texas buddy and talk wrestling all weekend while seeing some good acts. Even if the lineup for Bonnaroo is underwhelming, anyone that's been knows how the experience itself is worth the price alone.

I'm also surprised we didn't get The Dead, especially since Trey from Phish is joining them as well. They would sell way more tickets with that as a headliner, for sure. Even though I have ZERO interest in witnessing that. I would check it out just to say I saw it.

I think we're talking about the Dead and Bonnaroo because there's a past connection there, mainly with Phil Lesh. I've gotta assume CappDawg atleast tried to book them for 'Roo, but I think Lesh is still heated at them for a lot of reasons. And the reason you mentioned: the Chicago shows are almost to the day of their final show way back when, so it's more fitting. I'm not even a fan of the Grateful Dead but they're a vast improvement over the headliners we ended up getting. I want Insider to come back on Inforoo and give some info on who they tried to book this year. Furthur was in the running in 2010/2011, along with Prince and Radiohead, according to her. I love little nuggets of info like that, it's really interesting.

I think we're talking about the Dead and Bonnaroo because there's a past connection there, mainly with Phil Lesh. I've gotta assume CappDawg atleast tried to book them for 'Roo, but I think Lesh is still heated at them for a lot of reasons. And the reason you mentioned: the Chicago shows are almost to the day of their final show way back when, so it's more fitting. I'm not even a fan of the Grateful Dead but they're a vast improvement over the headliners we ended up getting. I want Insider to come back on Inforoo and give some info on who they tried to book this year. Furthur was in the running in 2010/2011, along with Prince and Radiohead, according to her. I love little nuggets of info like that, it's really interesting.

There was a report that Roo offered the Dead members 3 Million to do Roo, which would have been a nice excuse to bust back out the Bobbleheads they apparently got rid of last year. I loved those Bobble heads. They were the perfect landmark for meeting spots.

Wait, were the bobbleheads supposed to be members of the Dead? I thought they were just random character designs.

My new meeting spot was the Hamageddon, and the Third Man Records schoolbus. But I doubt either of those will return. There's no reason the school bus shouldn't, though, what with their HQ being in Nashville and all.

Wait, were the bobbleheads supposed to be members of the Dead? I thought they were just random character designs.

My new meeting spot was the Hamageddon, and the Third Man Records schoolbus. But I doubt either of those will return. There's no reason the school bus shouldn't, though, what with their HQ being in Nashville and all.

My understanding was that the Bobbleheads had a Dead influence, but I could be wrong there.

My understanding was that the Bobbleheads had a Dead influence, but I could be wrong there.

If it's the Bobbleheads I just looked up on Google images, then no. Those just look like Three Dog Night.

I'm torn between my annual trek to Bonnaroo, or Austin PsychFest: Levitation. 'Roo will probably win out every year until I get a better job where I can actually afford plane tickets, but, man... that lineup for PsychFest is pretty incredible for a small festival on a ranch in Texas. Either way, I'll get to hang out with my Texas buddy and talk wrestling all weekend while seeing some good acts. Even if the lineup for Bonnaroo is underwhelming, anyone that's been knows how the experience itself is worth the price alone.

I'm also surprised we didn't get The Dead, especially since Trey from Phish is joining them as well. They would sell way more tickets with that as a headliner, for sure. Even though I have ZERO interest in witnessing that. I would check it out just to say I saw it.

Levitation does look pretty amazing, I'm hoping to win tickets and if not I'll at least get a one-day pass for the JaMC performance. Funny thing, the "ranch" is within the Austin city limits and about 1.5 miles from my office as the crow flies.

• 2 months later...

Found my festival for the year. Ink 'n Iron in Nashville. It's a weird lineup, but it has Merle Haggard, Coheed & Cambria, Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings, the Misfits, Suicidal Tendencies, Reverend Horton Heat, Wanda Jackson, Nekromantix, Nashville Pussy, Shooter Jennings and The Bronx/Mariachi El Bronx. It's like a music/car/burlesque/tattoo/20-50s fashion festival. Sounds interesting, and it's only $270 for a 3 day VIP ticket.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

ACL lineup is out. Headliners are Foo Fighters, the Strokes and Drake. There are bands I'd like to see, but nothing that adds up to a $250 festival that would probably require skipping Dragon Con.

I feel like ACL reset their previous bar for blandness with this lineup.

• Like 1

kinda feel like The Strokes and Florence + The Machine are weak top 3 headliner acts. Drake, sure. Foo Fighters? I buy it. Unless I'm missing something. Strokes were on late afternoon on a Sunday a few years ago at Bonnaroo, and I'm pretty sure they haven't released an album since.

I guess sometimes I'm just baffled by line-up placements.

kinda feel like The Strokes and Florence + The Machine are weak top 3 headliner acts. Drake, sure. Foo Fighters? I buy it. Unless I'm missing something. Strokes were on late afternoon on a Sunday a few years ago at Bonnaroo, and I'm pretty sure they haven't released an album since.

I guess sometimes I'm just baffled by line-up placements.

I think this year just had a weak headliner pool to choose from for Summer Festival season, which has been showcased by most of the lineups we've seen this year.

It's going to be a good thing for smaller festival attendance this year, as festivals like Shaky Knees, Wakarusa, etc. may seem more appealing for people trying to narrow their genre options since the larger festivals aren't pulling in those huge top billing acts in their top 3. That's what was disappointing about this year's Roo. I don't feel that their top 4 set my world on fire. I don't view Kendrick as a headliner yet. I've seen Mumford already and thing their mystique lessens with each album (Wilder Mind is about as underwhelming as you'll find), and Billy Joel just feels like a weaker legacy act for a festival who in recent years has pulled in Sir Elton, Sir Paul, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, original Beach Boys, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

FUCK. I have to come up with $200 before they sell out. I've been whining for years about how Cheap Trick always come thru when I'm outta town, and there are enough other bands I'd like to see to make it worth the money if I can scrape it together.

As far as I'm aware, FFF has never sold out. I think you're in the clear.

Although with that lineup, who knows.

Funny, tons of people online are bitching about the lineup. I think it's mostly metal/hardcore types though.

They've never sold out of 3-day passes as far as I know, but they have sold out (as in hit capacity) a couple of single days, like the first Slayer appearance.

Also they have a payment plan, so you don't have to come up with $200 all at once.

If they have an installment plan I am totally in. I have friends who are hardcore Murder By Death fans and will do whichever day they play, but I rather want the full 3 day experience of I go at all. Will see Venom, CHVRCHES, L7 and Cheap Trick, and fuck it. Anything else is gravy since my "travel" is 30 min on the Metro.

• Like 1

The Riot Fest line up's look pretty good, I really want to try to get to the Chicago one,it starts on my birthday so that would make it double awesome. Rancid, Motorhead, Iggy Pop, Snoop, Faith No More, Tenacious D, Bootsy Collins Rubber Band, Andrew WK, Flogging Molly, Ice Cube (reportedly doing Straight Outta Compton from start to finish w/guests), Merrle Haggard, De La Soul, Living Colour, Modest Mouse, the Damned...and they still have more to announce. Its a crazy lineup