DVDVR Message Board

Raw 1-5-15

MGFanJay

I concur with the people saying Dusty won't take this shit. He'd go and start dropping elbows on people. Starting with Stephanie.

Dusty would put a noose around HHH's neck and drag him around the parking lot from the back of a pickup truck while Dick Murdoch smiled in approval from the Great Beyond.

He would not elbow Steph.   That is a job for Baby Doll.

• Like 2

Problems with this angle:

1. It made the babyfaces look like total pussies who aren't worth caring about. Can you imagine how Austin or Rock would have reacted if Vince gave them a tongue-lashing and fired them in the middle of the ring? They wouldn't have just stood there hanging their heads in shame, that's for damn sure. Seriously, who would ever get behind such pathetic characters?

2. Who gives a shit if someone gets fired? I've lost count of all the times someone has gotten fired and ended not missing a single show. Not to mention that big stipulation that was rendered completely meaningless LAST FUCKING WEEK.

This is by no means intended to be an exhaustive list. Additions are not only welcomed, they're allowed.

The exact same thing was happening a year ago, only it was slightly more tolerable because Daniel Bryan was actually a sympathetic underdog that the fans wanted to get behind.  This time no one cares because it's Cena and 1. he's been the main player for a decade now and is beyond stale and 2. he's obviously going to overcome the odds and win.  While the Authority's actions make sense logically, they're carrying it out in the most excruciatingly boring way possible with tedious 30 minute promos and countless handicap matches featuring the same goon squad over and over.

I've never been a fan of Sting and there's nothing they could do to make me care about him.  I realize a lot of people do like him and want to see him do something, but, just like everyone who was calmmoring for an Austin comeback, don't get how anyone thinks he's going to be able to put on any type of halfway decent match.

I concur with the people saying Dusty won't take this shit. He'd go and start dropping elbows on people. Starting with Stephanie.

Dusty would put a noose around HHH's neck and drag him around the parking lot from the back of a pickup truck while Dick Murdoch smiled in approval from the Great Beyond.

He would not elbow Steph.   That is a job for Baby Doll.

Too bad none of the faces are likeable enough to do a hard times promo.

Is it too much for them to turn a guy like Titus face by going all "Listen up you pussies!" on the faces tonight? There's like no faces on the roster with a pair. I mean, Paige was the daringest (again making up words rule) tonight and all she did was push Brie or some shit.

When did the good guys start being pussies? :(

Steve Austin is turning in his grave and the man isn't even dead yet.  If Stone Cold were still around and this was going on, mother fuckers would be curled up in the fetal position and lying comatose in a pool of blood and beer.

Sting needs to lead by example and take dudes out Positively Canyon style.   RAW needs to begin with CC footage of Sting death dropping Kane in the parking lot while he is on the way to a shareholder meeting at WWE HQ.

how many products/sports/etc are consistently awesome for 3 hours in a row?

short of reviving crash TV for a short-term bump, there's not a way to have a 3 hour show that isn't gonna wear out a predominantly young crowd by the end of the night

People seem to be entertained by 4 hour long football games just fine. Maybe it's because football announcers aren't constantly shitting on their own product and Roger Goodell doesn't handwave games away and make everything meaningless after the games are played.

Gambling has more to do with that than whether everyone is really entertained with NFL product.

since the WWE isn't an actual sport, they can launch a gambling front and promote fans gambling money on the outcome of worked matches, right?

They should totally do some sort of FanDuel promotion.  It woud be more popular than the network.

Well they could freshen this angle up actually. Instead of Sting stopping the authority to avoid being redundant this time it can be Randy Orton.

They could easily avoid all of this with actual long term planning. Not throwing in a stipulation at the last second to let Cena bring them back. Stephanie has turned into a decent promo but has done nothing of value with it. Tonight she was just grating.

It was stupid that none of Cena's teammates from Survivor Series came out to help with Edge last week. You shouldn't have to turn your brain off to enjoy something. There should be a logical progression to what is happening. This is a blatant repeat not progression and the lack of heat is a clear reflection of this. I always hated the idea of X-Pac heat. It has been taken up a notch now with Authority heat. Where no reaction is a reaction.

I probably sound more bothered than I actually am though. I know I'm the fool for still watching this and expecting better or even different.

how many products/sports/etc are consistently awesome for 3 hours in a row?

short of reviving crash TV for a short-term bump, there's not a way to have a 3 hour show that isn't gonna wear out a predominantly young crowd by the end of the night

People seem to be entertained by 4 hour long football games just fine. Maybe it's because football announcers aren't constantly shitting on their own product and Roger Goodell doesn't handwave games away and make everything meaningless after the games are played.

Gambling has more to do with that than whether everyone is really entertained with NFL product.

since the WWE isn't an actual sport, they can launch a gambling front and promote fans gambling money on the outcome of worked matches, right?

They should totally do some sort of FanDuel promotion.  It woud be more popular than the network.

"Pick 5 guys and win $5K if they all win!"

*every ticket loses*

• Like 2

Maybe this is WWE's way of turning off fans 30 and older.

My father's been watching since the 70's and tonight between all the stuff that happened at the start of the show and Ambrose losing he said the hell with it. It's just not worth watching anymore.

The WWE goes out of their way to piss so many loyal fans off. But what really annoyed me at least from a creative standpoint it just how horrible the show is actually written. The main problem is the only person on the entire roster with any kind of balls is John Cena. Everyone else has been castrated as mentioned in previous posts. Only John Cena can stand up for the locker room. Well time and time again its been shown that he doesn't care about the locker room. So why does anyone in the locker room stand with him anyway? The worst part of all of this is Dolph Ziggler will probably be out until Wrestlemania when this current story probably is wrapped up.

Well I guess people will have no choice but to root for Roman Reigns if they get rid of anyone else the crowd likes.

"Pick 5 guys and win $5K if they all win!"

*every ticket loses*

Sounds like you've been to one of the Italian Stallion's raffles when PWF ran shows in Charlotte.  No one that wasn't immediate family of one of Stallion's workers ever won the free tickets to the next show.

Did I miss something? Didn't BNB return last week to a face pop and got the KO pin victory against Cesaro and now he takes the heel's route to victory against Ziggler with help from Kane's shenanigans?

And I'm 99% sure JBL even said How cool it was BNB's first match back was for a title

Maybe the booking is just a giant ploy to make people appreciate Sheamus more. At least he would've came out and Brogue Kick'd SOMEONE. Like Big Show at least.

I'd like to say Orton, but he has been shot down by the Authority too. Damn it.

• Like 1

I guess I fall somewhere in the middle.  While I don't share Gregg's enthusiasm for the Authority and it was the last thing I wanted to see, and clearly there are issues making it far less entertaining than it should or could be, I'd confidently bet money on two things.......

1) WWE is NOT a company that is fucked and going under. They're going to be around for as long as they want to be.

2) Dean Ambrose will be fine.  He's not dead and will continue to be over and will probably do awesome things for quite a while. 

I don't think disliking the show or the angles is what I would consider knee-jerk reaction.  But people swearing that the company is dead, rushing to the RAW thread to immediately tell everyone how much of Raw you didn't watch, etc, those things are far more baffling than Gregg just having a different opinion of what he enjoys watching. 

I watch now knowing that yeah, I really question a lot of it.  But there are always things I find enjoyable and I know there will always be enough to keep me watching.  That's just me though.  To each his own.

• Like 7

Only thing I caught was Reigns/Show. Roman comes off like a mid carder to me.

Roman's matches are a bit too structured for my liking. 

Nearly all of his spots have a signature mannerism before he executes.  It is like fucking Dragon Ball Z or Street Fighter where the dude announces what power he is going to use before he throws a fireball or something.

Once someone reels him in, he'll be just fine.

• Like 2

As bad as the final angle was, I thought Ambrose/Wyatt was much worse. I used to like Bray when he was in NXT and even the first couple months but he's just utter shit now. You give that entrance to a guy like Zach Ryder or Primo and it would get the same reaction. His promos suck and the matches are just boring. What was the point of Ambrose losing? To make him look even more like a geek?

The final segment was what it was. All I could do was laugh. Stephanie on tv makes me want to turn off the tv and never watch Raw again. The total silence during the whole angle was really telling. I don't even care if Sting comes in to save the day cause I know she'll be on tv for the whole year and it will probably be awful.

• Like 3

They don't even use the three hours effectively. It's recap after recap. Fuck all that. I don't go to Raws anymore because it's fucking boring. In Chicago it's boring to go to a Raw because your ability to survive through the slew of repetitive and boring segments is something more adequate for a Navy Seal. The one positive is not hearing the announcing, which on a night like time, spent their time burying the shit out of the Ascension. Good work fellas, way to get over your new talent.

Yeah, I mean, shit! At least throw some dark matches on during the commercial/recap segments.

I just had a revelation. I have not been to a RAW since August 9, 1999. Never been to a SD, and the last  PPV I was at, was KOTR "02. The last one where Lesner won it over RVD.

Not really much of a point behind my revelation, Just a bit jarring on how long ago it has been.

so, you're saying Reigns should have a match where he tips all his big moves and the heel avoids them. Followed by a rematch where Reigns just demolishes the guy without tipping. Like how Joe Louis lost to Max Schmeling, before crushing him in a rematch in 1 round?

But here's a good Q that I don't think has been answered on TV: Who is Roman Reigns and why should we care about him?

Yeah, I mean, shit! At least throw some dark matches on during the commercial/recap segments.

Bring back the Nitro Girls
  • Like 1

As bad as the final angle was, I thought Ambrose/Wyatt was much worse. I used to like Bray when he was in NXT and even the first couple months but he's just utter shit now. You give that entrance to a guy like Zach Ryder or Primo and it would get the same reaction. His promos suck and the matches are just boring. What was the point of Ambrose losing? To make him look even more like a geek?

Pretty much sums up whatever I was gonna post here. I thought for sure Ambrose would finally win this one but instead loses *again* as he is constantly booked to never win the big one. Rollins beat him at every turn, put him out of action and won that feud. Now the same thing, Wyatt wins all the big matches and Ambrose continues to be booked awfully. Worst part of the show for me easily.

But here's a good Q that I don't think has been answered on TV: Who is Roman Reigns and why should we care about him?

Roman is a good looking dude with a lot of potential, but he really hasn't had the television time to define himself like Seth and Ambrose have.  I think his charisma is his worst enemy and time away from camera because of the emergency surgery did not help.   He's in the upper card / main event way sooner than he should be, IMO.

He should be having the upper mid-card feud with Wyatt or Randy Orton to work out the kinks while Ambrose is in the main event blood feud with Seth Roilins.  I cannot blame Roman for this because the only person on the card that it makes sense for him to feud with is Seth Rollins.

He would not elbow Steph. That is a job for Baby Doll.

Until she turned on Dusty.

So it's been a couple of weeks....how is the NEW DAY stable going?

Are they doing anything outside yelling "New Day!" and dancing this week? The Raw recaps tell me "no" but maybe I'm not giving the writers the benefit of doubt.

I'm sure they will progress those characters in the coming weeks.  I'll check in again later

Unless you count Big E almost getting dropped on his head by Cesaro (yeah the lift was amazing but they almost fucked the drop up)... no. 

In other news, I can't wait for Randy Orton and Sheamus to come in as tag partners that hate each other to save the day!

He would not elbow Steph. That is a job for Baby Doll.

Until she turned on Dusty.

We would not book it that way. Baby Doll would rush to the ring dressed as a security guard and cuff Steph to the ring ropes while Dusty hogtied HHH and dragged him away to his doom. Sam Houston would be behind the wheel of the F150.

This is my vision. It is a good one.

Pretty much sums up whatever I was gonna post here. I thought for sure Ambrose would finally win this one but instead loses *again* as he is constantly booked to never win the big one. Rollins beat him at every turn, put him out of action and won that feud. Now the same thing, Wyatt wins all the big matches and Ambrose continues to be booked awfully. Worst part of the show for me easily.

He's been split from The Shield for only, what, 6 months?  And people hate hot shot booking.  But Dean Ambrose "never wins the big one" and is dead in the water.  In only 6 months. 

I just don't see it the same way as others I guess.  The sky isn't falling on Ambrose.