DVDVR Message Board

Raw 1-5-15

MGFanJay

Did they mention if Rollins being put in the RR title match counts as his MITB cash in or is he still going to have the briefcase regardless of the result?

No cash in. He still has the case, for when Cena wins and gets destroyed by Brock, Rollins can cash right in.

Since someone asked, here are some things I'd try as to how to fix the Monday Night Product:

1. I watched "WWE Countdown" on the Network last week. IT's the one about the great Rumble moments. I believe #2 was Roman Reigns breaking the elimination record. There was a great segment with some of the other superstars questioning the validity of the record as one of the "Superstars" eliminated was El Torito. The end of that segment had Reigns trying to keep a straight face while defending El Torito as a performer. It was very "who are you to doubt el Dandy?" in its delivery. Let Roman go on tv and be that guy and I guarantee he'd be about 874X more likable than he is currently. I know the guy and I'm getting sick of it. I understand why people don't think he's ready. I'd also extend his "smolder" period. Let him break his own record in the Rumble and then get eliminated by some mid-card heel right after Reigns makes a big elimination. Then that heel can get an "oh shit" look on his face when he realizes what he just did. Have Reigns chase him a few weeks on tv, then destroy him at the feb. PPV.  Have him retire Kane at Mania. Build his aura the way you did so masterfully in 2013. By Summerslam or Survivor Series, he might be ready for what you want him to be ready for.

2. A cult leader without a cult is just a dude who likes to hear himself talk. After this feud with Ambrose, have Bray Wyatt "Rebuild" his family. Ryder, Axel, Emma. More of a "Raven's Flock" feel. Make him formidable again. When he was at his best, he had Rowan & Harper to do his dirty dirty for him, and he needs that again.

3. If you delay putting the title on Reigns, then Ziggler should be the first challenger for Rollins post-Mania. A heel champ Rollins running from a motivated Ziggler would be some compelling-ass tv. No matter what "The Authority" puts in front of Ziggler, have him overcome. Sound familiar? The way you build a new Cena is to treat someone like the old Cena. 

4. Dean Ambrose. It's odd, because I think part of his charm is that i find myself as a fan care less about him winning matches than i do about him getting his hands on those he feel has wronged him. After this Wyatt fiasco is over, I DO think he needs a decisive "win" in a feud with someone Authority affiliated, Del Rio would've been great for this. I guess Big Show will do now. Have him ready to go into Summerslam with heel Rollins again, this time for the big gold. 

5. This is all for naught because of the Cena Problem. No matter what you present, the shadow of John Cena will be hanging over everyone on the show that isn't him. Idk what the answer is, because there's no way Vince is gonna send the cash-cow off to Hollywood with a smile and pat on the back. Not gonna work. Maybe do him like Hogan when Hart was champ the first time and have Cena in feuds with guys like Rusev and other monsters you might want to build up. I honestly believe that Cena has enough cache with his audience that they're gonna buy the Cena merch no matter what he's doing on tv, so the question is how close to the margin you can slide him before his audience notices. Now might be the time to find out...

Thanks for answering this. I actually agree with a decent bit of it.

• Like 1

Notice he gave him #27, because that's the number that has won the most Royal Rumbles.

I am ashamed to know that I remembered that from last year's "Royal Rumble Numbers" vigniette they ran.

• Like 1

It wouldn't matter. Bunkhouse Buck would either end up an Authority flunkie or having his balls cut off by Stephanie.

Or both. But don't worry, it would be worth it because she'll dance and get the last word because she's a McMahon and thus above the usual Superstars.

I think the quickest fix for the show is to rip out the heel authority and just have a matchmaking committee that rarely makes air (and only for important events). Then, have everyone care about being champion. That immediately adds a high-stakes sense to the shows because right now, everything is low-stakes. Lose? You'll just win the belt back eventually. Get fired? You'll be back on TV in two weeks.

NXT sold to me that Sami Zayn might well lose and leave NXT forever. Heck, Bo Dallas has only been on NXT television once since losing his match to leave NXT, and that was under a hood trying to sneak back in. NXT's stips matter. Their belt matters. They don't need a heel commish because the stakes of being champion are enough for everyone's motivation.

Why does the NXT Women's Championship mean as much as the WWE WHC at this point? It genuinely does. That is a big problem. Same with the NXT Championship. Honestly, both belts would mean more than the WWE WHC were the gold not on a monster that never shows up. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure what's worse; Raw last night or the people on WWE's Facebook thinking Ziggler, Ryback and Rowan actually got fired.

Also, I suffer from insomnia, but Raw last night ended up being a temporary cure. No, seriously, I'm not even slighty joking here. Before last night I couldn't even remember the last time I got a solid 8 hours. Probably the last time I tried to watch an episode of Smackdown.

• Like 1

Yeah, I have no idea why everyone is shitting on this angle. None. You guys could get Savage/Steamboat AND the Horsemen breaking Dusty's arm and Hogan turning and would hate it. The Authority has power back. They're vindictive shitheads. They punished those who dared opposed them throughout the show and strung them along to humiliate them and Cena at the end of the night.

This is setting up Sting's return. Hence why HHH name dropped him a few times during the course of the show. It's not coming yet -- Sting has to come in to REALLY save the day.

Because it is a rehash of shit they have been doing for over a year. 

• Like 2

It wouldn't matter. Bunkhouse Buck would either end up an Authority flunkie or having his balls cut off by Stephanie.

stephanie-mcmahon-dancing.gif

I agree with Greg that Stephanie was the heel of the year last season.  Yall can argue whether that is a good or bad thing.

The whole "the in-ring quality is grand and better than almost any other wrestling era so I'm entertain" vs. "It's good and all but the character progression/storyline are dull so I don't care as much" sentiments  are interesting to me.  Fat Spanish was basically arguing this point with the Shield when they were tearing it up in 6 men tags, and I've been too since I'm not into the in-ring stuff as much as the characters/drama side nowadays.

Halfway Cena's corny in-ring speech I tuned out, I couldn't find the strength to continue to watch. The fact the whole ring was half full with the current roster (sans the Diva's and Authority flunkies) was pretty pathetic.

Not going to lie, I'll probably watch the Rumble and Mania, like I do every year, but I'm going to stick with watching Raw recaps on youtube.

Just as conceivable that the majority of those answers to the RAW poll are "no I didn't like what happened to Dolph Ziggler at all" so much as it is "no that show sacked because the guy I liked until everyone else likes him wasn't pushed enough "

The show sucks but regular viewers are still tuning in to say it sucks. No one's going to blink whilst that happens just as much as nothing happened tonight that anyone is truly going to say that's it I'm done. Whilst I'm confident in their ability to deliver a payoff, I'm not sure where Ryback and Rowan fit into Mania plan.

Using Breaking Bad as an example - complaining about the lack of or quality of wrestling on a wrestling themed entertainment show is like complaining there's too much focus on Walt and Jesse's relationship rather than them making the actual drugs. Or that the Voice doesn't value singing enough..They haven't promoted themselves as a professional sport in decades. Not since Brock - Rock and I can't think of the last time before that. Wins or losses mean absolutely nothing in comparison to furthering storylines - the culmination of someone's journey, someone having their wrestlemania moment or overcoming the odds or "standing tall". Plot devices...

The quality of the show is a reflection of an unsustainable content model not what's on the show. Cesaro winning more or Dean Ambrose getting the special guest star Heather Lockyear spot doesn't change anything. It's still a flawed but ultimately still profitable model that won't change until it's no longer profitable