DVDVR Message Board

Raw 1-5-15

MGFanJay

Did Daniel Bryan even get mentioned this week? Recap of his announcement, discussion of his Royal Rumble odds, anything? I watched on fast forward so I don't know if I just missed it or if they legitimately didn't follow up.

Yeesh, first time watching this in months and it's, somehow, even more transparently haphazard than it was before. You come away from this show, completely confused as to what they're building, who they're pushing and why they're doing what they're doing. If NXT didn't have the same production style as the main shows, you could convince someone that it's a totally different company.

So the Ascension's gimmick is that they actually ARE third-rate Roadies/Demos. Very meta.

I went to sleep around 10:30 last night- doesn't look like I missed anything that wouldn't drive me nuts, although I do like the idea that they canned everyone BUT Cena. Setting them up to return as heels to get their jobs back, making Cena overcome the odds... ugh.

I think Court Bauer mentioned they're planning an English-language NJPW World app. I can actually speak/read some Japanese, but if that comes to fruition then I will drop the Network like a bad habit.

How I spent my Monday night:

Attempted to go to bed at 7:00 PM Central.
Got back up around 8:30 or so, let the dogs out for a bit.

Watched a few anime episodes.

Decided to watch Wrestle Kingdom 9 in the next few days when I have a bit more time.
Browsed Raw recaps/feedback, retweeted a few of the more amusing observations.  (Adam Rose main-evented Raw~!)
Finally got to bed.  Stupid insomnia.

maybe they'll have the Authority turn into the Skinhead gang from Breaking Bad, and they'll keep Cena as a prisoner and make him watch them do terrible things to the faces.

Triple H is Jack, Stephanie is Lydia, and we just gotta cast Todd now.

Rollins is clearly Todd in all this.

Cena = Jessie

Sting = Mike

Vince = Gus

Punk = Walter

Cabana = Flynn

Who gets to be Skyler? Nattie's persona on Total Divas reminds me of Marie.

The whole "Ambrose NEVER wins" thing is hilarious - he and Bray have been trading wins for weeks. The even-steven booking is what made this feud suck, not Ambrose being "buried." What the actual issue will be is if the real reason Wyatt went over is so he can be fed to a crippled Undertaker that should very clearly be retired by now - as much as that would disappoint the terrible fantasy bookers in the WM thread.

Has he actually pinned Bray or anything? Not being a dick, I honestly can't remember him winning a match in this feud.

Just to be clear: I don't think this is a great angle and an insanely great Raw moment. But it was fine. They have done SO MUCH WORSE stuff over the years. They haven't done something egregiously awful, to me, in ages. This era is way better than Heel Michael Cole, for instance. It's infinitely better.

The reaction to me reeks of last year when a lot of people were up in arms about Daniel Bryan's booking or etc. Not that I want to go down that road -- we've all said our piece on that, so let's not say it again -- but a lot of people are being really reactionary to a lot.

Now can someone please tell me if Dean Ambrose was buried by this Bray feud or if 50/50 booking killed them both. That I can't ascertain.

My thoughts: Two dudes I love had a really nasty modern era blood feud. Part 1: Bray tries to play head games with Dean. Part 2: Dean plays head games with Bray. Part 3: They just beat the hell out of each other for a while. It had one really dumb moment -- the TV exploding -- but was really good B-card stuff. And it also ended in a decisive manner.

(And a lot of people crapped on Dean/Rollins not having a decisive victory. Well, they just gave you one.)

• Like 2

Current product is worse than Heel Cole.

At least the crowd gave a shit about Heel Cole and didn't sit on their hands in disbelief that their heroes are all just big pussies.

AGAIN.

Cesaro is another thing that's fucked up. So in no particular order, these are some weird WWE fuck ups:

• Cesaro starts getting buried after Vince's weird millenials/brass ring shit
  • Ambrose loses every meeting with Rollins and gets his ass kicked multiple times by Bray, winning no matches against Bray that I can think of
  • Dudes in New Day re-debut and are immediately lost in the shuffle, right back to where they were before
  • Ascension debuts and gets buried by the announcers
  • Ascension banned forever...brought back weeks later by Cena
  • Cena's teammates get their asses kicked repeatedly in the lead up to Survivor Series and Cena doesn't help any of them
  • Big Show turns on his team and no one really gives that big of a shit about it
  • All the faces get fired, again, but they'll be back
  • Christian's retirement gets mentioned in an offhand comment by Heyman
  • Brock hasn't done shit, which is understandable, but Rollins has been a ghat to Brock and Brock has yet to smack him down
  • The constant, unending build to yet another Brock/Cena match, which helps no one except for Cena. Another example of name stars not helping build future stars

And there's plenty more, but last night's Raw illustrated quite a few of those points. It's very disappointing.

And if you're in NXT, why come up? I'm sure Sami, Owens, Itami, Balor, Enzo/Big Cass, Neville, Bailey and others can't wait to come up so that they immediately get buried after having promos dedicated to announcing their debut. Shit, Charlotte got the spotlight put on her away from an NXT ring just to lose to fucking Nattie. I like Nattie, but that's just fucking strange.

The saddest thing about the state of WWE today is how everything could be so easily fixed. They do have a really really talented roster.

It's like you have the cast of Breaking Bad, but the writers of Jersey Shore.

• Like 1

JohnnyJ, on 06 Jan 2015 - 09:19 AM, said:

The problem with Reigns is he's not the kind of guy who should be wrestling 5 minute plus matches on a regular basis. He should show up, hit something impressive and go home.

What I love about all of the Authority stuff is that for as long as it's gone on for outside of Bryan (which is debatable) who has it gotten over. You could say Rollins but he was getting much stronger reactions in the Shield. It just feels like an ego trip of two non-wrestlers leading to a showdown with another non-wrestler (Sting).

That being said, I did enjoy Steph dancing at the end. It wasn't Steph pantomiming Cenas theme song good but it still cracked me up.

Bryan was the most over guy in the company by a long shot before Hunter turned heel. I'd say the Wyatt stuff did more to put him into the stratosphere of overness than the Authority. The Authority stuff just reeked of HHH latching onto the most over guy to work with. The same material opposite anyone but Bryan draws crickets.

Now can someone please tell me if Dean Ambrose was buried by this Bray feud or if 50/50 booking killed them both. That I can't ascertain.

I'll agree with the argument that Dean is fine.  But that's the problem:  he's "fine."  He seemed poised to be a top guy with Roman out, and now he's been pushed back to at best the #4 face slot. The feud didn't bury him, but it didn't help him, and it didn't exactly make Bray look like a badass either. I feel like that even with beating Dean numerous times, he's almost exactly where he was to begin with, and now Dean is a step back.  So no, the feud didn't "kill them," but neither one is any stronger than they were before.  Though with me, the bloom has been off of Bray Wyatt for a while now. 

• Like 1

The whole "Ambrose NEVER wins" thing is hilarious - he and Bray have been trading wins for weeks.

Has he actually pinned Bray or anything? Not being a dick, I honestly can't remember him winning a match in this feud.

I read he won a hardcore match at Tribute To The Troops but I didn't watch that - as didn't most fans - so I can't confirm.

What I do know is by no stretch has Ambrose been "trading wins" with anybody he's feuded with since the Shield broke up. In fact, he didn't win one singles match on PPV over the entire 2014.

http://tinyurl.com/kshhezk

And before someone says "wins and losses don't matter" if that's true why hasn't Reigns taken a pin or even shown more than brief fleeting moments of weakness since the break up? Or why has Rollins has seldom jobbed? Sure Bryan rose above eating pins left and right but typically if you keep booking a guy to lose matches and feuds, eventually the crowd sees him as just another guy who's nothing special.

• Like 1

Another striking thing about the end: not only did the babyfaces not fight back, it wasn't even treated as a possibility. HHH and Stephanie showed absolutely zero fear. Again, can you imagine Attitude Era Vince throwing his weight around without being surrounded by an army of goons?

Honestly, the biggest problem with the Wyatt/Ambrose feud is that Wyatt fucking sucks and shouldn't be doing anything with anyone who matters. They should use him the same way they used Khali at the end of his run: only appearing once in a blue moon in backstage comedy segments.

The saddest thing about the state of WWE today is how everything could be so easily fixed. They do have a really really talented roster.

It's like you have the cast of Breaking Bad, but the writers of Jersey Shore.

THIS is exactly my frustration with the entire company. Look at the amazing roster they have at their disposal. It's not the in-ring workers, it's the writers, the agents, the "creative machinery" in the WWE that is broken. They are stuck in a horrible bland rut and management REFUSES to put the blame where it truly belongs. TV numbers are falling and live events with merch will follow.

And it's been long established that TttT doesn't count since the faces always go over.

Because it refutes your argument that Ambrose has done nothing but lose matches?

The feud ending this way was fine - Ambrose can recover easily. Bryan recovered from a similar loss rather well this time last year. The trouble is the rumor that Wyatt is being built up to be fed to Undertaker.

This show sucked, the main event angle was awful for the second week in a row, but there wasn't anything wrong with putting Wyatt over Ambrose to end the feud in and of itself.

ETA: Okay, now I understand Gregg's frustration, because they gave Ambrose a win that none of you were paying attention to and are now saying "doesn't count." If you want to be dissatisfied, WWE will always deliver in some way.