DVDVR Message Board

Raw 1-5-15

MGFanJay

I actually haven't read anyone's reasons WHY they think the angle is bad. I've just heard "the crowd was dead" (no shit -- the villains won and music was playing loudly) and... well... Nothing else.

What was actually BAD about this?

• Like 1

Yeah, I have no idea why everyone is shitting on this angle. None. You guys could get Savage/Steamboat AND the Horsemen breaking Dusty's arm and Hogan turning and would hate it.

That you actually believe that tonight's show is in any way comparable to any of those angles is why it is so hard for me to take anything you say seriously.

Not that I watched the show, but I'm pretty sure Greg was being flippant.

Yeah, I have no idea why everyone is shitting on this angle. None. You guys could get Savage/Steamboat AND the Horsemen breaking Dusty's arm and Hogan turning and would hate it.

That you actually believe that tonight's show is in any way comparable to any of those angles is why it is so hard for me to take anything you say seriously.

Did I compare this angle to those? No. I'm stating that everyone has a knee jack reaction to everything on Raw these days. It's a yawn fest reading it, honestly.

People love the strong angles on NXT and Lucha Underground as they happen, so it's not a case of people being unreasonably knee-jerk on this board. 

I'm on Gregg's side here, I thought it was good storytelling and logical. I'm not convinced the pay off will be tremendous (most because taking Ziggler Rowan and Ryback off TV is a face move in my book) but I'll tune in for the journey.

Also, I'll even take it a step further and applaud the Ascension segment. They have been getting zero reaction. None. With one promo they have become the only people on the roster that all the announcers unanimously hate. It's great; if Cole and JBL can agree these guys are douches, they must really be douches. People love nostalgia, and I think this will actually end up getting them heel heat. Granted they are the absolute drizzling shits in ring so they won't be able to sustain it, but this angle of getting all the retired rasslers pissed off for disrespecting the biz is an inspired choice to get them some much needed heat. Killing jobbers alone clearly wasn't going to cut it.

• Like 1

Yeah, I have no idea why everyone is shitting on this angle. None. You guys could get Savage/Steamboat AND the Horsemen breaking Dusty's arm and Hogan turning and would hate it. The Authority has power back. They're vindictive shitheads. They punished those who dared opposed them throughout the show and strung them along to humiliate them and Cena at the end of the night.

This is setting up Sting's return. Hence why HHH name dropped him a few times during the course of the show. It's not coming yet -- Sting has to come in to REALLY save the day.

THIS IS WHAT GREGGULATOR ACTUALLY BELIEVES

• Like 6

It's great that the babyfaces act of defiance to getting fired was hanging their heads and pouting. That was like the pro wrestling equivalent of packing all your belongings in a box, saying "thanks for the opportunity, can I list you as a reference?" and shuffling out the door.

Or they come back next week and sneak attack The Authority into getting their jobs back or something along those lines.

And the fact that Sting saved the day once and they need his old wrinkled ass to save the day again because the WWE babyfaces are so fucking spineless and pouty to do anything about it tells you how fucked this entire period of WWE is. I love Sting. He's one of my all time favorites, but he saved the day once already and the WWE faces are so fucking inept that they need Sting to bail them out again? For real? Fuck.

• Like 2

So 2 people think its great, *everyone* else hates it universally. Clearly the majority is the problem.

Still waiting to hear why the angle was bad.

I'm not going to. If you're this delusional to not even understand why this is fucked, then I can't help you. ANY AMOUNT OF EXPLAINING I OR ANYONE ELSE GIVES YOU ISN'T GOING TO SWAY YOU, so what's the fucking point? 

Gee, you know what we haven't seen in a while? Heel authority figures firing faces and abusing power. Not like its been done ad nausm over the past 20 years straight. Let's not try something else.

• Like 1

And the fact that Sting saved the day once and they need his old wrinkled ass to save the day again because the WWE babyfaces are so fucking spineless and pouty to do anything about it tells you how fucked this entire period of WWE is. I love Sting. He's one of my all time favorites, but he saved the day once already and the WWE faces are so fucking inept that they need Sting to bail them out again? For real? Fuck.

But Sting's a legend. He's not coming out and doing this every week. He bailed them out all of once and is a mysterious force.

So 2 people think its great, *everyone* else hates it universally. Clearly the majority is the problem.

Still waiting to hear why the angle was bad.

I'm not going to. If you're this delusional to not even understand why this is fucked, then I can't help you. ANY AMOUNT OF EXPLAINING I OR ANYONE ELSE GIVES YOU ISN'T GOING TO SWAY YOU, so what's the fucking point? 

There are legitimately four pages on here of people saying "this sucked." There's not one thing I saw that's "This sucked and here's why." I am of a differing opinion. Heels won and humiliated faces. I have no idea what is wrong with this scenario.

I think the problem with the angle is the Authority coming back is a) too soon after their loss at Survivor Series, b ) was spurred by a weak angle where Cena could have just gone down and fought off the dudes threatening Edge, and c) the Authority running roughshod over the heels all summer was barely over enough as it was - the real heel with heat was Brock Lesnar, but because of limited dates, he was off TV and barely even mentioned as champ. 

So while Gregg is right that the angle makes sense structurally - bad guys ousted come back due to a nefarious plan and exact revenge on the faces that ousted them until a mega-face sets wrongs right - he is totally missing that the ways that the company put that story into motion are flawed. 

- The Authority is rapidly becoming heatless. 

- The nefarious plan to get the Authority back in power looks like Rollins and J+J Security drew it up with chalk on a sidewalk somewhere

- Sting probably isn't over enough with the current crowd to pull off the MEGAFACE AVENGER thing, but that's because they have mentioned him roughly as much as they have mentioned Brock Lesnar during Lesnar's title reign. Multiple hours of TV a week, and no priming of the audience to understand why Sting is a dude to rely on in this case

Those are three things off the top of my head that make this something that people probably find unsatisfying. 

• Like 8

The worst part about the Authority is Stephanie tbh. We fucking get it, you're a McMahon. The difference is that Vince wasn't afraid to look like a fucking idiot if it meant making money and given people a satisfied feeling of having to watch a 50+ year old match cry like a little bitch. People will state that Steph not being touched often makes when she does get something, it's more impactful. Bullshit. If you told your kid you were going to give them a treat and time after time, don't give them one, they are eventually going to stop fucking caring and pout. And when you finally give the little shithead a toy or something, they will won't be happy because they already think you're an asshole.

She might as well be given an old timey blade that they used to shave people with and have the guys lined up to get their balls shaved off. She castrates/neuters everyone she has a segment with. Especially when it comes to other women. Insecure booking is the worst. Even Dixie, as dumb as she is, is game to do something to get the fans to pop.

• Like 11

Gee, you know what we haven't seen in a while? Heel authority figures firing faces and abusing power. Not like its been done ad nausm over the past 20 years straight. Let's not try something else.

And at least at one point, they had two babyfaces who didn't take any shit and kicked ass when bullshit like this happened, even if it was a lose-lose situation.

Those two guys are responsible for WWE even being around today.

Hey, you know what people are really clamoring for? Faces that solemnly hang their heads low and do fuck all when this shit happens over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Gregg or the one other guy that thinks this bullshit can say that you save that moment for later, but that's not the point. The point is that this is the umpteenth fucking time they've done bullshit like this and this time it's even more egregious. In a so-called monumental move, Dolph and Sting rid the WWE of the Authority FOREVER...if forever is a matter of weeks that is.

This entire episode was an exercise in shitting on fans. Well, except for ebbie because she got hers.

Reason number one: If the Authority tried this shit in the 80's/90's, faces would be rioting, and laying out fools.

There's heels going over, and there's booking you faces as spineless cowards that don't stand for anything.

Hogan, Savage, Dusty, Sting, JYD, The Vob Erich's... They wouldn't suffer this shit.

• Like 1

I think the problem with the angle is the Authority coming back is a) too soon after their loss at Survivor Series, b ) was spurred by a weak angle where Cena could have just gone down and fought off the dudes threatening Edge, and c) the Authority running roughshod over the heels all summer was barely over enough as it was - the real heel with heat was Brock Lesnar, but because of limited dates, he was off TV and barely even mentioned as champ. 

So while Gregg is right that the angle makes sense structurally - bad guys ousted come back due to a nefarious plan and exact revenge on the faces that ousted them until a mega-face sets wrongs right - he is totally missing that the ways that the company put that story into motion are flawed. 

- The Authority is rapidly becoming heatless. 

- The nefarious plan to get the Authority back in power looks like Rollins and J+J Security drew it up with chalk on a sidewalk somewhere

- Sting probably isn't over enough with the current crowd to pull off the MEGAFACE AVENGER thing, but that's because they have mentioned him roughly as much as they have mentioned Brock Lesnar during Lesnar's title reign. Multiple hours of TV a week, and no priming of the audience to understand why Sting is a dude to rely on in this case

Those are three things off the top of my head that make this something that people probably find unsatisfying. 

FINALLY SOMETHING!!! Thank you.