DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

I'm perfectly fine with rehearsing matches, but everyone NEEDS to know how to call it in the ring.  If you rehearsed a match that is flatlining with the crowd, don't keep having the same shitty match.  Change that shit up.  Everyone needs to know how.  Honestly, the most rewarding matches I ever had were the ones that were called in the ring, because I had a greater feeling that we really took the fans on a ride.  There is a place for both, and I won't damn one over the other.

• Like 1

And the SASHA/BAYLEY SUCKED BECAUSE THEY PRACTICED IT!!!! bullshit is one of the dumbest things going today.

None of you fuckers bitched when Undertaker practiced his Mania matches forever.

TAKER! MICHAELS! MANIA! JIZZ! JIZZ! JIZZ!!!

Yeah, surely the women aren't the only ones in NXT practicing. So what is Crowe's excuse?

• Like 1

I'm fine with rehearsed matches so long as they don't come off as over scripted like some of those Jerry Lynn/RVD matches. And obviously they should be able to switch things up on the fly if nothing's connecting with the audience. That's where the real talent lies, in being able to work a match that works best for that crowd.

I'm legitimately lost here.

There's been a lot of argument lately about Sasha/Becky/Charlotte/Bayley/etc. having such good matches in NXT because they're deeply scripted and they have weeks to rehearse it, which would, in part, explain why the main roster matches, even when given time, aren't as good, and that it's smoke and mirrors making them seem as good on the idea that with that amount of time and practice, inexperienced wrestlers can do that sort of thing.

Mr. Shunna was cruelly dropping that into this thread.

I followed all that. I didn't understand dropping my name in. I'm a lifelong supporter of "I don't care how that made the match good, just if they made it good" and defender of DDP.

All y'all are acting like Savage vs. Steamboat wasn't a thing.

I'm legitimately lost here.

There's been a lot of argument lately about Sasha/Becky/Charlotte/Bayley/etc. having such good matches in NXT because they're deeply scripted and they have weeks to rehearse it, which would, in part, explain why the main roster matches, even when given time, aren't as good, and that it's smoke and mirrors making them seem as good on the idea that with that amount of time and practice, inexperienced wrestlers can do that sort of thing.

Mr. Shunna was cruelly dropping that into this thread.

All y'all are acting like Savage vs. Steamboat wasn't a thing.

Yes but Steamboat and Savage were also producing entirely different good matches on house shows. 

Savage scripting his own matches seems more to do with how much of a madman he was.

I don't have a problem with it EXCEPT for the fact that this is still supposed to be developmental. It's morphed into something different where they want to have blowaway matches. It seems like it'd be a perfect learning experience to put them out there in front of that crowd without a heavily scripted and rehearsed match.

As much as most of us probably agree that things would be better if everyone on the roster had the ability to go out there and call stuff on the fly, we live in the age of tv wrestling where everything has to meet time for breaks and everything. Granted they are run by a madman who cuts everything at the last minute...

I think the more general argument (as opposed to the dismissive bs) is that people expecting Sasha/Becky/Especially Charlotte to come up and suddenly have even NXT TV level matches, even when paired with one another and not a Bella, are in for a rude awakening, and there'll be a learning curve which makes the way they were brought up all the more of a mistake/misfire, and may have doomed it for a time, etc. 

But there's a ton of speculation in this from the get go. 

• Like 2

Questions:

First, are the matches completely scripted on the NXT specials? Stuff like Sasha stomping on the hand seems improvised. Not that it matters in the end because it was awesome either way.

Second, are the matches on the NXT tapings also rehearsed? Do those give us a better idea of the women calling it on the fly?

Savage scripting his own matches seems more to do with how much of a madman he was.

I don't have a problem with it EXCEPT for the fact that this is still supposed to be developmental. It's morphed into something different where they want to have blowaway matches. It seems like it'd be a perfect learning experience to put them out there in front of that crowd without a heavily scripted and rehearsed match.

Maybe they call it at house shows? But yeah, letting them do so at a big show or two would be conducive to them working on PPV each month. 

It's not about calling it in the ring or pre-planning.  Familiarity is what's benefited the NXT yaks.  They've worked with each other for a couple years constantly either in class or on the road.  Now their weaknesses have been exposed on the main roster working with girls they aren't best friends with.  Someone getting hyped as top five in the world should be able to carry anything with a pulse and that includes Brie Bella.

• Like 1

Who's the male equivalent of Brie Bella? There's certainly not anyone that bad on the male roster in WWE. Maybe Mojo in NXT, and I don't think Owens, Balor or anyone else could carry him to a great match.

If the NXT women coming up had even Cody Rhodes level workers to face in the women's division they would be more than fine. Before the recent call ups the best female wrestler on the main roster(Paige I guess) wouldn't make the top 30 or 40 if the men were included.

The biggest jobbers on the male roster(Bo Dallas, Heath Slater, Fandago etc) are by far more competent pro wrestlers than the Bellas. There's nothing for these girls coming up to work with. Now when the next wave of call ups are ready and Sasha, Becky, Charlotte, and hopefully Emma are established then they should be fine, but for the recent call ups it's rough waters.

Yeah and those matches with Dana and Carmella certainly aren't going to sell anyone that a revolution is taking place. It's going to take them letting Sasha and Charlotte or Becky to tear the house down to get the angle over.

The Revolution needs more time. It's been one friggin' month with one PPV match, which was a six-man elimination triple threat. I don't even know if the Shield/Wyatts/Bryan+Cena+Cesaro could pull that off with it looking anything sensible.

Everyone is so quick to hate on anything that doesn't have IMMEDIATE RESULTS~! The first part of the process was introducing the new characters to a broader audience and why the audience should care. They have to get used to seeing Charlotte wooing, Steampunk Becky and Sasha.

Team BAD clicked immediately in terms of who they are, which is probably why they haven't had as much ring time lately. Team PCB had the disastrous initial name, which set them back a bit. We already know who The Bellas are, but what we know about them isn't so good -- the smart fans who tip the audience off range from outright hatred to complete lack of interest of that team.

The audience also had to get used to seeing longer women's matches (they frequently get the commercial break) and even two matches a show, along with some interviews and the like. They've done that and have done so in competitive matches in a round-robin setting. Everyone can beat each other and no one has really separated themselves from the pack quite yet.

Now that comes next. They're starting that tonight with the Beat The Clock challenge for Team PCB. Now the individual rivalries within the group setting can start, which leads to a one-on-one match for Nikki. Maybe it even ends up with some sort of tie, leading to a match between the teammates.

Then you can start having longer matches. Characters have been introduced. People are familiar with moves. Would the crowd, beyond those of us who are NXT junkies, care at all if the first match was Sasha vs. Becky replaying their Takeover classic? Probably not. As great as the work was in that match, there was also a personality clash and story (Becky was Sasha's former lackey) and a heated contract signing. They don't have a story to tell in that match beyond "I am trying to make you tap out."

Now they have an issue to move towards with this Beat The Clock challenge.

It takes more than four or five weeks to essentially rebuild a division. It's fine. It's right where it should be, actually.

• Like 2

On his podcast, Jericho said they brought up too many women at once. So instead of getting over one new woman, they have to get over three, all the while keeping their opponents strong too. Not sure if I completely agree that's the issue, but it is a good point.