DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

Has any show -- not just wrestling, but ANY show -- been rebranded better than NXT? From the absolutely wretched garbage of the first few seasons (not withstanding Punk's MST3K commentary of the woman's season) to whatever the hell NXT Redemption was to everyone favorite hour of wrestling... What a weird arc.

It wasn't the reality-show "NXT" that was rebranded. That shit got dropped. It was FCW that got rebranded. And it went from being a WWE-run indy developmental a la OVW etc to being a kind of WWE-lite that has thrived in the absence of a lot of the BS that's holding the main shows back.

Regarding Brysynner's post in the Season 8 thread, I can't see it working.  It was one thing for Vince to invade USWA as there was no internet.  That made it very easy to do the face announcer in WWF/heel in USWA deal.  With Cena, people would find out somehow.  Especially with NXT getting more viewers it would affect to some degree how Cena's treated.  If only all this was around in the early 90s.

On that thing, NXT stuff can happen outside the WWE main roster bubble, e.g. Ascension getting the early push on Raw/SmackDown while putting Itami and Bálor over on NXT, but NXT viewers are likely almost all WWE viewers, so I dunno how someone having a different character there would work.

I live in fear of the day when Cole shows up as a guest commentator and reverts to his heel character.  *shudder*

"Sammi Zayne is such a nerd and anyone who likes him is a nerd! NEEEEEEEEEEERDDDDDSSSSS!!!!"

• Like 1

Has any show -- not just wrestling, but ANY show -- been rebranded better than NXT? From the absolutely wretched garbage of the first few seasons (not withstanding Punk's MST3K commentary of the woman's season) to whatever the hell NXT Redemption.

I absolutely loved Redemption. By the time they gave up on the "competition" aspect of the show, it was awesome. The Kidd/McGillicutty feud was terrific and Johnny Curtis became the most entertaining guy on TV. Curtis chloroforming Matt Striker to the horror of Maxine was golden.

I didn't realise Maxine was in Lucha Underground - another reason for me to fuck this RAW shit off for a bit and watch something new. But anyway, my spreadsheet says NXT Redemption was awesome.

First time I've seen this, and it's already more entertaining then anything on the main show since Zigglers run at Surviver Series.

Johnny Curtis and Derrick Bateman being left to their own devices on NXT Redemption was fantastic. Almost as good as Stevie Night Heat, until someone with power actually watched the show and squashed it.

Johnny Curtis and Derrick Bateman being left to their own devices on NXT Redemption was fantastic. Almost as good as Stevie Night Heat, until someone with power actually watched the show and squashed it.

Isn't it sad that when the wrestlers are left to their own devices the show is better so the powers that be decide everything should be written by people who have no ties to wrestling and a senile old man

• Like 3

Ok, so what was the payoff to the storyline? Who took Matt Striker? I NEED TO KNOW!

Tyler Reks and Curt Hawkins. They held him ransom to get Maxine to charm Regal into leaving them alone (Regal was the power on the show and was punishing them for reasons I can't recall). They even addressed Striker appearing on other shows by claiming WWE hired a doppelgänger to avoid the bad publicity for Striker's disappearance.

"The Database" is the name of an old POW camp repurposed to house wrestlers for the megalomaniacal Jarret's plans for world domination.

Also, I'm not sure that "Why do you have chloroform?" "Why don't I have chloroform?" isn't the best non-wrestling thing to ever appear on WWE "TV".

• Like 3