DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

Also the blue pants she actually wears are a costume from the Disney-owned X-Men, so WWE is wise not to try to sell merch worth them on it.

I'm not a lawyer (at all) but wouldn't cosplay fall under parody and thus be safe from copyright infringement stuff?

Also the blue pants she actually wears are a costume from the Disney-owned X-Men, so WWE is wise not to try to sell merch worth them on it.

I'm not a lawyer (at all) but wouldn't cosplay fall under parody and thus be safe from copyright infringement stuff?

Not sure, but I'd assume it's got a couple gray areas: On the indy scene, Bates's basic gimmick is that she's a cosplayer, so she's actively going after the gimmick (but not making money solely based on the gimmick, either.)

By contrast, in WWE, she is making money based on the costume she uses- but in WWE, she solely uses the gimmick of wearing blue pants, and it's only been mentioned once or twice that her outfit is a Kitty Pryde cosplay outfit (and only hinted, like "she looks like an X-Men character" once on commentary). 

Either way...it may be able to, it may not, but better to not risk it due to how Disney can or would hammer them.

My problem with the shirt is that they are fucking sweat pants.

I would rather not wear a shirt with a picture of the pants I would be wearing with said shirt

• Like 9

She just wears plain blue pants with a yellow waist band. That's not infringing on Disney's intellectual property.

Doesn't she actually wear Kitty Pryde pants? That might be an issue. 

I honestly didn't know that they were Kitty Pryde pants until someone here pointed it out. It's likely that if WWE bought her new and nearly identical pants, it'd be fine.

I fear what the WWE might do with Bayley when she goes to the main roster. All one has to do is look at Emma to see how they can screw someone over with their ineptitude. 

1. Again, not putting this on Bayley. Obviously has HUGE potential. But all those saying she'll draw: You really trust WWE with her? Really?

5 retweets9 favorit

And as I said in my repsonse "they will destroy her someday and I will weep". Just watching the moment where she hugs that little girl after beating Charlotte, there is something so genuine about Bayley. She could very well be the women's John Cena for them someday (except it's impossible to hate Bayley). But I just fear Vince's yes men won't get her whole thing and they'll change her and the last bit of faith in humanity will be gone.

Getting stuck with Santino also didn't help her at all.

Even the Santino thing isn't fair to be the cause of Emma's failure, since it neglects to mention: The WWE followed the fans' recipe perfectly with Emma, and it just didn't work. 

In 2013 as Emma was rising the card, literally every piece of fantasy booking for "how do you promote Emma" boiled down to "Have her come in against Fandango, thinking she's the better dancer, then feud with Summer Rae"- and after a notably good Emma/Santino mixed-tag match on NXT, the fantasy booking then became "Have her as Santino's partner in that feud." They did exactly that to the letter, it didn't take, and suddenly people start saying "It failed because the WWE hates us and wants every NXT person to fail because they just don't want us to be happy!" Maybe sometimes it's the case, but this time they did EXACTLY what people said they wanted.

Also, they didn't do any of the things that made her work in NXT.  It's just "hey, here's this chick that dances", and never let the fans develop an attachment.  It may have still failed, but at least you could say there was an honest effort.

• Like 1

There are many reasons why Emma failed on the main roster. They gave no backstory to Emma other than "Here's this girl from NXT who showed up in the crowd one day". They ran endless matches with Fandango/Santino/Summer/Emma for months. They did horrible "comedy skits" with her and Santino where she "friend-zoned" him. And, on top of all that, Emma just looked like she'd rather be ANYWHERE else whenever she was on camera and she was mailing in her performances. Evil Emma is a nice reboot of her character using her failure on the main roster, and I could see her re-debuting on the main roster with a similar act, being angry that she has not been any part of the Diva's Revolution.

Not everyone of these call ups will work. Let's give them a little slack here. This whole system for them is new. They haven't done it until two years ago.

Has anyone else beyond Emma failed? Summer Rae hasn't done much but that is more she hasn't had anything to do until this Rusev angle, which has been wonderful. The Ascension suck but they sucked in NXT, too.

The track record of call-ups is really fantastic.

Not everyone of these call ups will work. Let's give them a little slack here. This whole system for them is new. They haven't done it until two years ago.

Has anyone else beyond Emma failed? Summer Rae hasn't done much but that is more she hasn't had anything to do until this Rusev angle, which has been wonderful. The Ascension suck but they sucked in NXT, too.

The track record of call-ups is really fantastic.

Adam Rose? Bo Dallas?

• Like 1