DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

Please tell me someone else here played the Virtua Figher games as much as me and immediately thought "Jeffry" when that Valenzuela Jr guy showed up.

His finish should be a kick to the gut followed by a Powerbomb

Actually....that IS his finish lol(well, was).  He used a variant on the old Black Tiger bomb/hammer bomb.

Please tell me someone else here played the Virtua Figher games as much as me and immediately thought "Jeffry" when that Valenzuela Jr guy showed up.

His finish should be a kick to the gut followed by a Powerbomb

Been a while since someone's used a seated senton too.

Jeffry has a pretty good moveset, especially the powerbomb and the pancake, but Wolf Hawkfield was doing Scott Steiner's moveset, so really he should get a partner to tag with who steals that.. 

• Like 1

Alexa Bliss got off easy tonight. Why is it SO HARD for WWE to be consistent with its man/woman violence. Just don't have the women ever hit the men. It just comes off cheap if the man getting slapped cannot get his revenge by chokeslamming his slapper (man or woman) through a flamming table.

The "flamming table" bit really gave away that you're doing your "women hater" thing now as a gimmick to get some kind of reaction.

Yuck, you stink.

There's just something about Alias Samson that stands out whenever he's in a match. I mean, he's huge and he has a good look, but I think there's definitely something really there with him should/when they decide to go all in on him and start giving him a push

-Man, Valenzuela's character work, while not likely something WWE is looking for, was tremendous, the way he kept running from Jordan, then his screaming when they put him in the belly-to-black clinch.  Awesome look.

-Sampson reminds me, visually, so much of Sandow...maybe he could come up as Sandow's stunt double.  With how over that was, I'm surprised WWE hasn't re-done the stand-in angle.

-I'd like to see Dana Brooke in NXT for a solid year, at least.  I think she could be really quite good by the end of it, as long as they don't rush her to the main roster and give her a chance to develop.

-I have a sneaking/sinking suspicion that Bayley's presumed title reign is going to be very short and ended by Eva Marie.

-I actually really like the NXT commentary.  Graves is the obnoxious heel commentator who will give the faces their due when they do something outstanding, but doesn't randomly start cheering for them like JBL ("That's why I call him Big Match John!"), Brennan is the guy who calls the action but I don't feel like he's trying to get any catchphrases ("Mine is Vintage!") over or steer a narrative that isn't there, and Saxton is much better/more confident than he is on Raw where he gets steamrolled by the massive personality of JBL, I actually really like his comebacks on NXT like when Graves said he played D&D and Saxton said "Good game" like he didn't realize it was meant as a putdown.

That has always been something I love about Levis.  His stooging is off the charts.  He always did a good job of stooging, then flipping the switch to ass kicker.  It seems like he's going to keep working the same way he always has, which I like.

Didn't All Japan put a few guys in gimmicks that were Virtua Fighter characters?

There was a licensed AJPW for the Sega Saturn system that also featured two Virtua Fighter characters (Wolf Hawkfield and Jeffry McWild).  As a tie-in, AJPW had Jim Steele do the Wolf Hawkfield gimmick for a bit.

So far as I can remember, no one did the Jeffry gimmick in AJ.  Guess they couldn't find a rastafarian gaijin who looked the part.  Today, they would really roid Kofi Kingston up and give him the gimmick.

Edit: Big E could probably run with the gimmick.  A shame he's half as tall as Jeffry.  I also doubt he can throw a convincing roundhouse kick.

There's just something about Alias Samson that stands out whenever he's in a match. I mean, he's huge and he has a good look, but I think there's definitely something really there with him should/when they decide to go all in on him and start giving him a push

I'd be down for a slight name change to Alias Sandow. Reveal him as the long lost brother or something...

• Like 1

I know at some NXT house shows he does a country music singer gimmick, haven't seen it but anything is probably better than "generic jacked dude who jobs".

Didn't All Japan put a few guys in gimmicks that were Virtua Fighter characters?

There was a licensed AJPW for the Sega Saturn system that also featured two Virtua Fighter characters (Wolf Hawkfield and Jeffry McWild).  As a tie-in, AJPW had Jim Steele do the Wolf Hawkfield gimmick for a bit.

So far as I can remember, no one did the Jeffry gimmick in AJ.  Guess they couldn't find a rastafarian gaijin who looked the part.  Today, they would really roid Kofi Kingston up and give him the gimmick.

Edit: Big E could probably run with the gimmick.  A shame he's half as tall as Jeffry.  I also doubt he can throw a convincing roundhouse kick.

Jeffry McWild was based on Willie Williams, a karate fighter who wrestled Inoki, fought in RINGS and oddly, had a few appearances in late FMW.