DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

Looking at Greggulator's recaps on womens matches from 2013, as much as like the other women on/from NXT I feel the most appreciation for Bayley.  No matter what else would go around her, she's been seen as the conscience of NXT that holds it together.  Her nerdy character could have died a death elsewhere, but the crowd loved her.  The recap is around the time I jumped in on a regular basis to watch NXT so it's been a helluva ride seeing her evolve.  She's still the same, but she not only got more aggressive but also earned the respect of everybody that faced her (save for Evil Emma and Dana).  The progress sure seems the most organic and when she gets the title it's going to be really rewarding.  Her fan following is so wonderful to see, and when she gets called up kids are going to love her.  It might not be a Cena-type level, but it'll be very close.

Regarding the whole ROH/Sinclair deal, if companies like Microsoft and AT&T got shot down from buying out competitive companies how would that not apply to WWE?  WCW was different because they were done for and on sale anyway.  But it's awfully suspect if they tried to buy out anything related to ROH.

• Like 1

Looking at Greggulator's recaps on womens matches from 2013, as much as like the other women on/from NXT I feel the most appreciation for Bayley.  No matter what else would go around her, she's been seen as the conscience of NXT that holds it together.  Her nerdy character could have died a death elsewhere, but the crowd loved her.  The recap is around the time I jumped in on a regular basis to watch NXT so it's been a helluva ride seeing her evolve.  She's still the same, but she not only got more aggressive but also earned the respect of everybody that faced her (save for Evil Emma and Dana).  The progress sure seems the most organic and when she gets the title it's going to be really rewarding.  Her fan following is so wonderful to see, and when she gets called up kids are going to love her.  It might not be a Cena-type level, but it'll be very close.

Regarding the whole ROH/Sinclair deal, if companies like Microsoft and AT&T got shot down from buying out competitive companies how would that not apply to WWE?  WCW was different because they were done for and on sale anyway.  But it's awfully suspect if they tried to buy out anything related to ROH.

I've been using the PW Torch NXT recap as my way to see what episode is worth tuning in to. One of my favorite parts is the dope who writes the recaps. He first trashed Emma's character and said it wasn't going to work and was embarrassing. Next episode, she's insanely over. He absolutely hated Bayley's character, too, and preferred her as the ass-kicker she was in the three minute matches she had where she put over Paige or whoever. He also hated the Emma/Santino vs. Summer/Fandango comedy match that's coming up in a few weeks. And he hated the Emma/Summer dance-off, too.

Seriously, dude? Emma's bit didn't get over on the main roster but it seriously worked on NXT. God forbid there should be fun and silly in our professional wrestling. And Bayley, as you said, has been the moral anchor of the woman's division. Everyone at some point has turned on her and/or treated her like garbage. But no matter what, she stays the same and absolutely does not back down from the bullies who try to make her life miserable. I also love her relationship with Charlotte -- it's a great love/hate thing.

• Like 2

Regarding the whole ROH/Sinclair deal, if companies like Microsoft and AT&T got shot down from buying out competitive companies how would that not apply to WWE?

1) Because nobody gives a shit about wrestling

2) ISPs, phone companies & large software manufacturers are much more relevant to the public interest and need to be scrutinized/regulated

3) WWE buying out ROH is not like, say, Comcast buying Time Warner.  It's more like Coke buying out Faygo.

• Like 3

Government doesn't regulate every industry or every sale within regulated industries.  Government basically regulates industries and sales/mergers where non-regulation would greatly impact the general public.  There's no reason a for-profit company can't buy out a competitor.  Happens every day.  Industries are generally regulated for a couple reasons - ( 1 ) because non-regulation would probably present some sort of safety or environmental issue (i.e., if you don't require auto manufacturers  to adhere to safety standards, carmakers will save money by eliminating safety features and building rattling deathtraps) or  ( 2 ) because permitting the sale or merger of two companies would potentially create a monopoly of some essential/vital service.  Government hates monopolies because lack of competitors usually leads to poor service or overpricing.  Government doesn't want the largest health care providers to merge, for example, because that would limit consumer options and ultimately impact consumer care.  Also, since no viable alternatives exist in the marketplace for most consumers, patients would have to pay whatever outlandish price Big Medical  Company wants to charge.

Not even sure what industry pro wrasllin' falls under (entertainment?  Sport?), but I don't see WWE acquiring ROH as a public concern, so it doesn't really matter.

Eva is still not very good, but I at least saw effort and a massive improvement over where she was.  Her execution was fine, but her placement and movement were way off.  On the right track though.

Praise be to white Jesus, Joe finally got some good music.

• Like 1

I'm really surprised by how good Balor's promos were tonight, the first time I saw him do a promo in New Japan I thought he was mentally impaired and he's improved ridiculously, this was probably his best speaking performance in WWE. Charlotte, however, is still every bit as bad as she was months ago. Eva more than looks the part now and he first match wasn't bad, it wasn't good but it's a huge step in the right direction and she showed considerable progress.

The real star of tonight's show was whoever the non-Alexa blonde in BAMF is and his all-time awful hair. I can't believe they let someone on TV looking like that.

Re-doing the Sami Zayn "beat the people I couldn't beat before on my way to the championship" angle with Bayley = great. 

The problem with Eva Marie is that Dana Brooke is also filling the "woman people hate because of her look" role quite nicely. Eva Marie just has no personality. I don't like or dislike her so much as I'm bored by her. She reminds me of the Asian girl from the fashion club on Daria with her spaced-out, dopey way of talking. 

I am so not into Finn Balor. Owens is going to look like a chump losing to Cena and Balor cleanly four times in three months.

This show really misses Sami Zayn.

On the other hand, I am ready for the reign of Baron Corbin as soon as Corbin loses the End of Days and just starts powerbombing motherfuckers. 

Eva Marie is one of the most unnatural wrestlers I've ever seen. She just doesn't look comfortable at any aspect of pro wrestling. Dana Brooke and Evil Emma were the best part of the show.

The real star of tonight's show was whoever the non-Alexa blonde in BAMF is and his all-time awful hair. I can't believe they let someone on TV looking like that.

His hair reminded me of He-Man. Those two are seriously the biggest dopes in WWE.

Eva Marie is one of the most unnatural wrestlers I've ever seen. She just doesn't look comfortable at any aspect of pro wrestling. Dana Brooke and Evil Emma were the best part of the show.

I appreciate how hard she's trying. Her timing isn't very good, as someone said, but she's not a complete disaster. 

That's where I sit with Eva.  I really, truly appreciate the effort, even if it doesn't work out. I mean, she could have tried to skate by on her looks, but she took the initiative to get trained properly.  I get the feeling that a higher level worker would have her looking like a million bucks, just by pointing her in the right direction during her matches.

• Like 1

His hair reminded me of He-Man. Those two are seriously the biggest dopes in WWE.
That's why I love them.

I appreciate how hard she's trying. Her timing isn't very good, as someone said, but she's not a complete disaster.

There isn't one second of her working where you can't see every gear spinning as to how every sequence goes. Whatever the opposite of ring fluidity is, it's her.

• Like 1

I was joking about Eva using the Sliced Bread #2 as a finisher last weekend, and I'll be damned. I thought she looked pretty passable out there. Room for improvement, yes, but it was night and day from her brief and horrible appearances in those early Total Divas tags. Unfair though it may be, she'll have to work double hard to overcome her reputation (maybe she can ask Roman Reigns for some advice on that), but I think if a brand new woman turned in that same performance, it wouldn't be viewed nearly as negatively. I say give her a shot.

Cassie looks like she could be really good too, hopefully they find some other jobbers so she doesn't get too much jobber stink on her.

Lots of squashes on this show. Felt like an episode of Worldwide, but not in a bad way necessarily.

Wesley Blake's haircut should be like Miz's outfits in that it's so awful, it should make him a heel instantly. Unfortunately you still need some personality to parlay that into actual heat.

Dana and Emma had a nice heel promo. Does anyone else like Devin as an interviewer? She always has the best "God I hate my fucking job" expressions when heels treat her like shit.

She definitely improved but she's still lacking confidence in what she's doing. She looked fantastic in her new robe and ring gear. Her facial expressions have gotten a bit better. I definitely agree that she should have just working house shows and debuted towards the end of the year or at least until after Total Divas was done for the season.

The best way for her to improve her confidence is to keep turning it decent performances and improving gradually so that she can actually *be* confident in what she's doing. It'll also help when she settles into a role, whether it be face, heel, or the John Cena style "Love it or hate it I'm me." Her match with Cassie showed me that she has enough of a foundation that I'm ok with letting her iron out her act on tv, similar to Dana Brooke.