DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

I think they are doing this show at the Barclay's purely just to mess with ROH who are doing their Field of Honor show at MCU in Coney Island at the same time. Lets be honest, ROH probably won't draw more than 1500-2000 for their show (I think thats what they did last year). But this just feels like the old days when the WWF would run a show up against the NWA in the same town at the same time.

NWA in Philly at the Civic Center...so WWF runs a show at the Spectrum.

Starrcade on PPV...Hey we just had this idea for a new PPV of our own...on the same night.

There are a couple of venues around Barclay's that they could have chosen for a smaller crowd. The old Paramount Theater that LIU had turned into an basketball court for their team (before they got a new gym) or the recently renovated Kings Theater which is a few blocks up from Barclays.

Barclay's does have the option to convert into a smaller theater. It's called the Cushman and Wakefield theater. It's half the arena and the top sections are tarped off so its about 4,500 people capacity. That seems a lot better then the whole building if that's what they are doing.

I'd really love if they made a series of NXT Funko POP!s. Painted Finn Bálor seems like a lay-up. But Breeze, Itami, Samoa Joe, Owens, and Zayn would be great too.

EDIT: plus Sasha Banks and Becky Lynch.

• Like 1

Hammerstein's about 2,000-2,500.

I'm sure the Barclays is a better bet to just play there three nights in a row - since it's less work with minimal crew setup for three nights, I'm sure they don't mind spending more money.

And why is WWE trying to drive a stake into ROH so much? Do they really see ROH as a threat? Are they pissed that ROH piggybacks off their shows occasionally by having events in the same area the same weekend as their big shows? I'd say that's more likely, but jeez. come on. Plenty of smaller bands play shows after a bigger band's show is over the same night, it's kinda the same thing.

• Like 1

ROH has been great at gauging where they are, being patient but persistent in growth, and not spending themselves into oblivion, which is unique among challengers to the WWE throne. If they got real national TV and one hot SCSA-style star they could be a threat one day and WWE would rather step on their throat now than later.

ROH has been great at gauging where they are, being patient but persistent in growth, and not spending themselves into oblivion, which is unique among challengers to the WWE throne. If they got real national TV and one hot SCSA-style star they could be a threat one day and WWE would rather step on their throat now than later.

Well, if that's all they have to do...

• Like 1

July 4 NXT Title Match Spoilers

With Balor now winning the NXT title and Owens likely now gone from NXT, who steps up as the main heel of the show? There really isn't one at this point. I'm struggling to think of any strong heels at all. So what do they do? Common thought is that Balor will eventually turn heel once Itami is back, being revealed as the guy who attacked him in the parking lot, but before then who do they have? Make Breeze the #1 contender again? Rhyno is there, but has been used as a stepping stone - as he should be - and isn't a real credible threat. Do a face/face series with Joe? Have Baron Corbin go on a strong heel run? He's probably been the most protected guy on the roster for months, so why hasn't he gotten a title shot? But is that something anybody really wants to see? I'm just not sure what they do from here, especially when they are trying to run a huge arena for the next Takeover special the night before Summerslam. Does Owens stick around in NXT for another month and a half to build up to the rematch at that show before finally leaving NXT for good? So many questions, but rather than being frustrated about the seeming lack of direction or bad booking like I might do in a similar situation on RAW or SD, I'm looking forward to watching how the shows in the coming weeks unravel and where they go with everything. I actually have faith in the NXT system to turn this in to something good whereas I don't have that same faith in the main roster.

I'm sure the Barclays is a better bet to just play there three nights in a row - since it's less work with minimal crew setup for three nights, I'm sure they don't mind spending more money.

And why is WWE trying to drive a stake into ROH so much? Do they really see ROH as a threat? Are they pissed that ROH piggybacks off their shows occasionally by having events in the same area the same weekend as their big shows? I'd say that's more likely, but jeez. come on. Plenty of smaller bands play shows after a bigger band's show is over the same night, it's kinda the same thing.

Yeah I think the whole piggybacking off the crowds WWE brings in is something they want to put a stop to. I can't say I blame them either. If there's extra money to be made off of the gathering of a bunch of smarks for big shows why not use your own product to make it?

Yeah I think the whole piggybacking off the crowds WWE brings in is something they want to put a stop to. I can't say I blame them either. If there's extra money to be made off of the gathering of a bunch of smarks for big shows why not use your own product to make it?

There are a couple ways to look at it from their perspective. Having other shows get some of the attention makes Wrestling more visible in the eyes of consumers, but then the WWE isn't in the "Wrestling" business. Contrary to that though, guys need some place to work before WWE so they can get noticed. But then, with the performance center, they have their own training ground. It really comes down to what WWE wants to do, be a showcase for the top wrestlers in the world or an entertainment company that happens to feature Pro wrestling. Recent years is leaning towards the latter.

I think everyone is reading too much into this.  WWE is trying to grow NXT as their own brand. There's going to be a lot of people in town for SummerSlam.  This is similar to them having their own show in San Jose though this time a bigger venue and broadcast live on the network.  I don't think it has anything to do with Ring of Honor.

• Like 2

I don't think it would take much to build up Rhyno as a credible threat to the title. He still looks like a beast, and it's not like he's been jobbing to Adam Rose or anyone like that.

And if nothing else, they can keep Owens around a little longer without interfering with his main roster duties. NXT only has TV tapings once a month, and he lives in Florida now. He can skip the NXT house shows.

I'm pretty excited about whoever they get to fill the uppercard heel spot(s). No one in particular really jumps out at me, barring a surprise turn (Itami, Balor, Joe). They have anyone coming down the pike that hasn't appeared yet who might fit?

I think everyone is reading too much into this.  WWE is trying to grow NXT as their own brand. There's going to be a lot of people in town for SummerSlam.  This is similar to them having their own show in San Jose though this time a bigger venue and broadcast live on the network.  I don't think it has anything to do with Ring of Honor.

I know I probably was looking way too much into it. But I was just saying it's something they have done in the past. The ROH Coney Island show has been known about for a couple of months now. It's just the timing that's coincidental.