DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

I don't watch regular WWE much. Anybody have any thoughts about which women are capable of actually working a decent length match? From what I've seen I'd say Nattie and Paige (obviously) and probably Naomi and Nikki Bella. Anybody else?

Nattie, Paige, Nikki, Alicia, and Emma have all worked solid 10+ min. matches on Superstars & Main Event at one point or another. Naomi under her current character probably could as well.

I'd add Layla to that list as well. 

I thought I was going to miss my little fairy but heel Bliss is 10 times more awesome than face Bliss. Loved her promo and whole attitude change,

Count me in as enjoying heel Emma right now too.

Another fun show last night. I will point out that they better do something with Balor quick because he has become fast forward material. He's not even the "he's out there to have good matches" guy for me because his matches are very much paint by numbers affairs for me. I want to dig him but he's losing me quickly.

Heel Bliss is great. She went from having a faux-confidence about her character to having an actual confidence about her direction in one swift move. I also loved how Blake and Murphy were reacting to her comments. Neither of those guys are really good promos but do background flunkies really well.

Evil Emma using Bailey's hair against her was great. Dana Brooke is such a wonderful idiot.

Kevin Owens is putting up art. Total genius character. He's such a phony in all aspects of life. I do love him saying that he's a good person by getting rid of a SKA song. I also love how he says John Cena is insecure by putting up the title every week -- yeah, Kev, sure. He's so great at being a petty, transparent creep filled with jealousies on the inside but also capable of using those fears to cripple anyone in his way.

The great thing about the Itami thing is they don't have to answer the question yet. He's gone for a few months and who knows what the roster will look like. There's no point in it being KO if KO is on the main roster by then, since there won't be a payoff.

Very intrigued by Chad Gable.

God, Dana Brooke is fucking awful.  She had NO idea what to do even hanging around ringside, other than flexing.  She and Emma were not on the same page out there, and it led to a LOT of awkward moments, especially at the end.

I know NXT is developmental, but she shouldn't even be on TV yet, no matter how she looks. 

It feels like they've already given up on Crowe, especially now that they have Joe to use.  His loss to Owens couldn't have been much more definitive.  A shame, the entrance is good, but the look and hair need work and to me, he comes across like a second-rate Ambrose in his promos.

Another fun show last night. I will point out that they better do something with Balor quick because he has become fast forward material. He's not even the "he's out there to have good matches" guy for me because his matches are very much paint by numbers affairs for me. I want to dig him but he's losing me quickly.

That's a problem with most guys in NXT, though. Of all the things they're learning down there, the art of a fun squash match doesn't seem to be one of them. It's like if they're not going for the gold on a special, they all just run through their shit in the same order every time. Itami was almost as bad as Balor in that regard.

I watched Ultimate Warrior's DVD a while back, and I was shocked at how he changed up his squashes, throwing in little goofy bits, to keep them entertaining.

I guess I'm saying they should be studying more Ultimate Warrior videos in NXT.

• Like 1

Crowe just needs to be re-packaged. They've re-packaged Becky Lynch like four times already, so they can save Crowe. He doesn't even hack anything anymore, so his gimmick is aimless. 

Agreed that Dana should probably be off TV for now. I think she's regressed somewhat from where she was, actually, which isn't good. Let her work house show squash matches against local women for a bit so that she can figure things out. It's like "emote/gesture toward the hard camera" is the one thing that she's obsessively trying to do as much as possible, so much so that she's ignoring everything else. 

Alexa Bliss being paired with Blake and Murphy is a great idea if only because Bliss can and should do the talking for them. 

I thought I was going to miss my little fairy but heel Bliss is 10 times more awesome than face Bliss. Loved her promo and whole attitude change,

I'd like to see her do a gimmick where instead of blowing her sparkles into the lights like in her face entrance, she just comes into the ring and blows them in her opponent's face and uses the distraction to pin them. 

• Like 3

When Crowe mentioned "family man" did anyone else start singing it in their heads? And wonder if Sami would come back with some nails from Owens's "well-stocked garage"? Just me then?

I'd like to know what he has tattoo'd on his knuckles.  I just noticed that last week.

It's the initials of his two grandfathers

• Like 1

Dana's flexing comes off like a weird security blanket/nervous tic. As soon as she's aware there's a camera on her she goes to it. It was actually kind of sad when that was all she could think to when Emma won.

Dana's flexing comes off like a weird security blanket/nervous tic. As soon as she's aware there's a camera on her she goes to it. It was actually kind of sad when that was all she could think to when Emma won.

It was like when you do a tag match on a video game.  You win, and both you and your partner cop your pose.

• Like 1

Dana's far from the polished product but I'm not mad at her, she's been given a variety of pieces to use and it's up to her and the direction from the trainers to figure it all out. If it comes across inauthentic then they can repackage her down the line but let's not get it twisted, NXT as a pr0duct has such high standards that she stands out and we forget it's still a developmental show. I think that's also Crowe's problem, his gimmick just doesn't suit him either and he got totally dorked out by Owens on his accent in the opening promo which didn't help his cause.

Tying the "Dana Brooke sucks" stuff to the "Paige's character" convo- both can be boiled down to how it's not even just "WWE Creative is worse than NXT", but that "WWE Creative doesn't even WANT to be as good as NXT for the Divas."

The fact that Paige doesn't have much of a character isn't the issue- the issue is that, even in NXT, Paige's character can be boiled down to "she's ostensibly a heel, but the fans love her so much that everyone agrees she's a babyface by proxy". That basic core is absolutely in the wheelhouse of the current "Every diva's merely bitchy, and most are mentally unstable" gameplan people claim for them- and yet it still took the WWE until January to truly GET IT and be able to even start to write Paige the way NXT did. 

It actually ties into the same point for what Dana Brooke on TV. In the ring, she's not ready. At all. HOWEVER, even though she is this terrible- it should be mentioned that- for the last eight years now, since they broke out and became actual draws in TNA, WWE has tried to go to the same well, many different times, to try and get a WWE version of The Beautiful People going there. They've made numerous groups of cocky, arrogant mean girl heels over and over, and it's never truly taken.

It took Dana Brooke two weeks to truly GET what made The Beautiful People so great in TNA: "Take a legitimate women's division, which is popular due to being a legitimate women's division- then, once it's established as one, throw a stereotypical WWE Diva into the mix and watch her become the most hated woman in the company."  Dana's still not polished or ready, but she's still proof of how NXT destroys the main roster just on that.

It actually ties into the same point for what Dana Brooke on TV. In the ring, she's not ready. At all. HOWEVER, even though she is this terrible- it should be mentioned that- for the last eight years now, since they broke out and became actual draws in TNA, WWE has tried to go to the same well, many different times, to try and get a WWE version of The Beautiful People going there. They've made numerous groups of cocky, arrogant mean girl heels over and over, and it's never truly taken.

I really dug LayCool's take, the only thing that stopped them was ultimately McCool's retirement.

LIVE/EVIL, depending on which direction you read it.

That's not how reading works.

It's called a palindrome.

Actually, a palindrome is a word that reads the same backwards and forwards, like the word "level" or the name "Otto."

On the topic of Dana Brooke.

Yuck.

She's exactly what I DON'T want to see in the NXT women's division. Pose, flex, duckface, repeat. Ugh. If I wanted to see that, I'd watch the main roster "divas division."

• Like 2

I'd like to see her do a gimmick where instead of blowing her sparkles into the lights like in her face entrance, she just comes into the ring and blows them in her opponent's face and uses the distraction to pin them. 

If Alexa doesn't come up with a Glitter Bomb gimmick where she tags her opponents with said novelties after a pin, I'm going to be sad.