DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

NXT guys don't need 80's WWF gimmicks.  That's the problem with Crowe.  Owens and Zayn are successful in part because they have subtle gimmicks.  Contrast that with Crowe and Breeze.  Breeze is decent in-ring but the model shit is fucking dumb.  So is the hacker stuff with Crowe.

The big difference between the two gimmicks: you can easily communicate and personify being a model in ring whereas a hacker would require Coachella hologram smoke & mirrors to work in ring.

Please stop with the slurs

Or I will stop them for you

Either they got edited out, or there's some slur being used that I'm not familiar with, because this confused the hell out of me.

"Tranny"

I apologize; that was definitely insensitive.  I honestly didn't mean to malign the trans community, just HHH's taste in women.  I could have and should have chosen a better turn of phrase to get that point across though. 

NXT guys don't need 80's WWF gimmicks.  That's the problem with Crowe.  Owens and Zayn are successful in part because they have subtle gimmicks.  Contrast that with Crowe and Breeze.  Breeze is decent in-ring but the model shit is fucking dumb.  So is the hacker stuff with Crowe.

The big difference between the two gimmicks: you can easily communicate and personify being a model in ring whereas a hacker would require Coachella hologram smoke & mirrors to work in ring.

They could get him more over as an anarchist if they had him be a much larger disruption to the show then just messing with the feed during his entrance.  He could then work a chaotic brawling style that doesn't emphasize winning or losing so much as causing havoc.  The hacker character could then develop holier-than-you-sheeple attitude as a primary characteristic to get heat.  Granted this is a lot like CJ Parker's character but he's gone anyway.  This really doesn't work as a face character at all though unless he's doing it against an evil authority figure that NXT doesn't have.  Also Crowe hasn't really demonstrated he can cut the promos this would require. 

Does anybody know when the next set of tapings are to happen? We are now through all the stuff taped at Full Sail way back in February. Is there another taping scheduled for early next week? Or will the next episode possibly be footage from the CA house show they had over Mania weekend?

Crowe stinks. At least in this version of him. They wanted to go in another route from him, if those leaked promos were the case. It looked like he was a cyberpunk Clockwork Orange thing with a cool computer set-up. He sounded illiterate.

• Like 1

Next week's episode will be the last week of old footage taped in Feburary.  Next taping is a week from today.

Supposedly featuring Samoa Joe. But the Briscoes are staying with ROH. Sad face.

Dana looked rough, and a lot of that has to do with the fact that she was way too showy. One of the things that made me think it's only a phase is that there's been plenty of people to come through NXT that had a lot up front, but then they scaled it back and were fine. I think she has the chance to do that. The H50 was a nice finish, too. Right now, it's like there's a bunch of cool puzzle pieces on the board, but it's a big puzzle to be put together. Soon enough.

Rhyno looked really good. He always had some good spots and knew how to work a bit, and I wonder how long he'll be active before becoming a trainer, which it looks like he'll become soon.

They need to figure out something with Corbin. Don't get what the hell is going on Riley at this point, either. He can't go over Owens unless they throw out some non-title situation where Zayn interference gets him a pyrrhic victory. Show has been a bit muddle of late, but that should shore up with the new tapings, though, especially if new talent gets introduced.

Like Samoa Joe.

I feel like they're getting closer with Crow. Just drop the hacker stuff and just make him a tiny wrecking ball Tajiri buzzsaw tazmanian devil that you shouldn't get near. Just let his character be his reality: that he is a tiny thing that will eat your arm.

CJ Parker is going to one hell of a centerpiece in the indies. Wish the dude well.

I really dug Shoot Nation. I have also realized the one thing that the Enzo/Cass/Carmella trio needs:

A small boy in a Newsies cap from 1920's New Jersey. "And this here is The Kid, and he's from 1924. And you can't teach that." And the Kid just acts adorable and then passes a wrench to Enzo to brain guys.

And then WWE makes a billion dollars. 

I love BLUE PANTS and I love that she is adapting to the WWE style even with her goofy character and music. The hardcam pose was delightful. 'The Narcissist' Sex Luger is green as hell, but she'll get there. She's no worse than Ryback when he showed up. I love that she just talks shit like a 90's Capcom game bad guy. 

Someone a couple pages back, I can't remember who it was, said that Brooke should be off TV to get more ready. I think that comment shows the issue with NXT becoming more popular and being pushed more by the company, and to a lesser degree, with the influx of near-finished or totally-finished products like Zayn, Owens, Itami, etc. coming into NXT recently.

Brooke shouldn't have to be polished to be on NXT. The whole point of NXT for people like her is to get them used to working on television, playing to the hard cam, figuring things out in the ring, etc. I don't want to assume why the poster made the original comment, but it seems like maybe people are expecting too much from some of the raw products on the show because of how the NXT brand is changing into this sort of indy/Japan dream match brand and because of how bad raw wrestlers like Brooke look next to the vets coming into NXT. 

I don't know what the solution to this issue is, but as far as Brooke herself goes, I expect Sara Del Ray to work some more magic on her over the next few months. 

• Like 3

I think CJ made a good call ducking out so he can go get some road flavor.  I really think he's got some pieces that could turn into money but he's not going to get that chance in NXT right now as enhancement talent.  Its a good move for him to get out before he's got too much jobber stink on him.

Solomon Crowe came off so much less than Parker.  Parker came off more aggressive and more on point than Crowe despite Solomon's spring board clothesline.  The tope afterward don't mean shit because everyone does those now.  Drop it from the act, it comes off as perfunctory.  Parker's stomps didn't look good but he made up for it with a nice layout senton.  The call back to the spot later was appreciated with a pretty unique counter.  Stretch muffler finish was ... okay.  Crowe sucks.  Like I don't care about him at all... and I care about everyone.  What a terrible actor this guy is.  What terrible character work.  Yuck.

Baron Corbin needs some direction.  They've spun his wheels too long after the Bull feud and its wrecked his heat.  End of Hairline is impressive on these thick guys but we need some actual development now.

I love the Sami Zayn promo continuing the overarching 'jumping the line' story with Kevin Owens and now with Rhyno.  I like the continuity.

How you doing?  I wish they'd just bring out Shoot Nation and do the thing since it would get 5 guys some direction really quickly.  Sawyer looked good here with some nice low impact 'wrestling' stuff that wasn't overwhelming.  Dawkins didn't do much and comes off like just a guy in a singlet.

Dana Brooks didn't come off so badly to me.  She was okay for just starting out and sold the Blue Kicks just fine.  She's a project obviously but I don't see a reason to be super negative other than some strikes that were off point.  She wasn't as annoying as Jig Dancing Becky Lynch by any stretch.

Sami Zayn and Rhyno set out with a very deliberate pace and it kind of stayed there.  I feel like Rhyno was going slow so he didn't blow up but it made the match kind of drag.  They could have cut minutes out of this match and picked up the pace and it would have been an improvement.  The 2-segment main event just seemed too long. 

• Like 1

Dana didn't look awful, just really uninspiring considering the hype.  They either need to stop bringing Leva in as the female jobber, or just sign her already because she always comes off looking 100x better than the women she's putting over.

Someone a couple pages back, I can't remember who it was, said that Brooke should be off TV to get more ready. I think that comment shows the issue with NXT becoming more popular and being pushed more by the company, and to a lesser degree, with the influx of near-finished or totally-finished products like Zayn, Owens, Itami, etc. coming into NXT recently.

I think you missed the point. Brooke doesn't need to put the work in off-camera because she's "unpolished". She needs to put the work in off-camera because she doesn't yet know how to have a wrestling match. This isn't knocking her, or claiming she'll never be ready. It's that she's very green, and while NXT as a whole is about training wrestlers, NXT TV is about bringing workers to that last step, where they'll be ready for WWE TV.

Brooke doesn't need to be learning about hard cams and what to do during commercials, that's later. Right now she needs to learn moves, pacing, psychology, etc. It was too soon to put her on TV.

Hmmm, you misunderstand. I didn't miss your point at all. I understand your point and think it to be wrong-headed. I don't see that Brooke was so bad that she needs to be off TV, which maybe is where our real disagreement lies. I've seen people just as raw and rudimentary in their work on NXT television, and I don't typically think that those folks need to be pulled from TV either. 

They could get him more over as an anarchist if they had him be a much larger disruption to the show then just messing with the feed during his entrance.  He could then work a chaotic brawling style that doesn't emphasize winning or losing so much as causing havoc.  The hacker character could then develop holier-than-you-sheeple attitude as a primary characteristic to get heat.  Granted this is a lot like CJ Parker's character but he's gone anyway.  This really doesn't work as a face character at all though unless he's doing it against an evil authority figure that NXT doesn't have.  Also Crowe hasn't really demonstrated he can cut the promos this would require. 

At this point he should go full Raven and gather like minded lower card guys (Marcus Louis is a perfect candidate). They could just do packaged promos backstage for his recruitment drive.

They could get him more over as an anarchist if they had him be a much larger disruption to the show then just messing with the feed during his entrance. He could then work a chaotic brawling style that doesn't emphasize winning or losing so much as causing havoc. The hacker character could then develop holier-than-you-sheeple attitude as a primary characteristic to get heat. Granted this is a lot like CJ Parker's character but he's gone anyway. This really doesn't work as a face character at all though unless he's doing it against an evil authority figure that NXT doesn't have. Also Crowe hasn't really demonstrated he can cut the promos this would require.

At this point he should go full Raven and gather like minded lower card guys (Marcus Louis is a perfect candidate). They could just do packaged promos backstage for his recruitment drive.

Would Crowe still be a hacker? I'd like a Crowe's Nest of hackers.

I think you missed the point. Brooke doesn't need to put the work in off-camera because she's "unpolished". She needs to put the work in off-camera because she doesn't yet know how to have a wrestling match. This isn't knocking her, or claiming she'll never be ready. It's that she's very green, and while NXT as a whole is about training wrestlers, NXT TV is about bringing workers to that last step, where they'll be ready for WWE TV.

Brooke doesn't need to be learning about hard cams and what to do during commercials, that's later. Right now she needs to learn moves, pacing, psychology, etc. It was too soon to put her on TV.

I don't really agree with your assessment of Brooke's limitations at this point.  I think she told a pretty basic story with Pants that she was bigger and stronger and had more physical tools.  Pants was able to knock her off balance with the kicks but couldn't put her away before she got caught.  That's a perfectly reasonable story for the biggest, most muscular woman in the promotion.  I don't think her pacing was off either and she bumped pretty well for Bates in the process.  Moves are one of the last things anyone should really be working on in terms of building their skillset to be honest.  Make sure your stuff looks good and you only need 2-3 things to stand out and you build from that.  Again, weakest issue was with her strikes which will need the most work but it won't kill her permanently.

Compare her with the much maligned Mojo Rawley and she seems much more natural in the 'I'm more physically impressive' role than Mojo is in his 'energetic nice guy'.  Also being liked is a lot harder than being hated and Brooke won't have a problem with that.