DVDVR Message Board

NXT 2015 THREAD

RIPPA

Wanna put Finn over huge? Turn him into a 'cool' heel.

The entrance will get a pop but he should continue that same movement and pausing in matches. He could have some great cut offs to hope spots.

Give him a new finish though. That top rope stomp has got to go. I get that he hits it well enough but the one he landed on Kidd was ugly as sin and fell almost as flat as Itami's "Trouble in Paradise" ripoff.

The lifting reverse DDT is ok as well but he looks like he would struggle to hit it cleanly on bigger guys if they dont help.

Use a shining wizard. Use a frog splash. Use the damn Stone Cold Stunner. Then bust out some poison mist with the face paint and away he goes.

Him wearing that face paint was awesome. But other than that, he is "guy who is really good at wrestling." I'll take Tyson Kidd as a "megalomaniac cat lover who is really good at wrestling."

He's a nice, humble, sweet Irish guy just happy to be competing here in America.... until you piss him off. Then he paints up like a demon and fucks up your whole world. He's Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde. That's his character.

Please don't tell Vince he's Irish.

Look, I Iike Itami/KENTA as much as the next guy but Finn is WAY more over and is only going to get more over. The "he's not blending into the WWE way of doing things" is a blessing because, if y'all haven't noticed as of late, the WWE way of doing things pretty much sucks donkey.

• Like 2

Sorry I didn't initially see Breeze. But I'm not thrilled that the homegrown dude with the awesome gimmick who can really work is ~BURIED OMGZ~ for your indie/New Japan hero.

On a serious note -- I want the fun, goofy dudes to get their time, too. Sami definitely counts, since his gimmick is he's a really nice ska-punk fan, aka the best possible version of 19-year-old me. The juxtaposition of fun-loving Sami going up against his ultra-serious business-only best friend is a great basis for a feud.

But NXT is the land of Bo Dallas and Bray Wyatt and Emma and even sleazy Corey Graves.  Bo Dallas running around Full Sail to avoid campus security is infinitely more entertaining to me than all of the All-Japan stuff I was into way back and essentially what I love about pro wrestling.

• Like 1

At least with NXT, I have some level of confidence that Breeze will get something new in due time.

If it happened on the main roster, I'd wonder if he failed to make eye contact with a random backstage agent for the appropriate amount of time and was being punished for it.

• Like 1

I don't really get the love for Finn. I've seen him as Devitt, and he wasn't really that entertaining then to me, and pretty much that's how he is now; seems like a guy that does lots of moves, but there's really not much there beyond that. I think his stomp looks awful, too. 

He DOES look like a guy that has "it" in the way that he jumps off the screen as a star. I don't quite know how to describe it. He looks like way more of a star than Tyler Breeze does, and I like Breeze way better. The thing about Breeze is that he should be taking Marcus Louis as a bodyguard or something. That act is fine as a midcard act where he's the small guy with the big bodyguard. If he gets stronger in the ring or more comfortable as a persona all around, you can do more with him or break him away from that. However, if you look at Breeze, his best matches are with Sami Zayn, which is kinda like having a good match with Bryan in the sense that Zayn right now is so good at EVERYTHING that it's more of an indictment if you don't have a good match with him. 

What's Breeze's best work after that? He had a solid match with Tyson Kidd IIRC (which, again, Kidd is really fucking good anyway). Then there's not much else there. His squash matches show that he's got pretty shitty, soft offense, and the Beauty Shot doesn't look like a insta-KO the way that they push it as one. I think he does an amazing job with that character, but the ring work doesn't back it up, necessarily. 

In terms of coming off as a star, though, Zayn is far and away the guy who does that as an all-around talent. That dude should, barring injury, be main-eventing WM at some point in the next decade. Finn looks like a star, but his work in the ring isn't that great. Then, we have a bunch of guys still getting acclimated or who look like they have the ceiling of a strong midcarder, which is no knock on them since the world needs awesome midcarders, but which won't help them in the midcard-averse WWE. 

I mean this in terms of the men only. On the women's side, Charlotte and Sasha Banks look like can't-miss prospects, and I suspect that Carmella and Alexa Bliss both approach that level as well when they start to get bigger pushes once the former two are gone to RAW. Sara Del Ray is clearly really good at developing wrestlers.

I was listening to a podcast recently, I forget which, and they made a great point.  NXT really works best as a last stop before WWE for top indy talent, not a starting point (or near the starting point) for anyone.  As more awesome indy guys come in, the difference between them and guys like Breeze, The Vaudvillians, Enzo/Cass, etc is just laughable. 

I've been saying for a while I think Breeze would make a great babyface. He's looked really good the times I've seen him work from underneath, and his rapid fire offense in the 4 way match was great. He'd be like a Dolph Ziggler with a better character, and less flopping around. Also duck face > ass shaking

I'm not sold on Charlotte outside of the cozy confines of NXT where she gets time to shine and has SDR putting her matches together. I could see her getting exposed on the main roster when she's thrown in some matches with iffy workers where the agents don't give much of a shit about making anything special.  Sasha and Bayley are ready now.

After seeing what a guy like Rollins is doing I'm willing to give Balor a chance to get his feet wet. I'm pretty sure Balor is more natural on the mic and charismatic than Neville, and Neville has really improved in NXT.

How would you guys book Zayn/Owens? I kind of hope they go the Sting/Vader GAB 92 route and give Owens the big win. It may shock and piss off the fans, but I think that's what Owens should be doing. Zayn could make things too personal, make a mistake, and Owens gets the big KO shot for the win.

I always prefer the heels go over first if it's going to be a long feud.

Shit, I forgot Bayley. They could print some money with her if they booked her right on the main show. 

I think Seth Rollins is actually not very good at this point as a singles wrestler (wrestles like a babyface even though he's a heel, no real presence on promos because he seems like he's reciting lines for a play), so if Finn's upside is Rollins, I don't feel great about him. 

I'm not sold on Charlotte outside of the cozy confines of NXT where she gets time to shine and has SDR putting her matches together. I could see her getting exposed on the main roster when she's thrown in some matches with iffy workers where the agents don't give much of a shit about making anything special.  Sasha and Bayley are ready now.

That will be a problem for any of the NXT women who get called up. And Charlotte is perfectly fine. She could improve more on the mic, but she is otherwise just as good as Bailey and Sasha.

I've been saying for a while I think Breeze would make a great babyface. He's looked really good the times I've seen him work from underneath, and his rapid fire offense in the 4 way match was great. He'd be like a Dolph Ziggler with a better character, and less flopping around. Also duck face > ass shaking

Duck face aside, I don't really see what he offers in this role that Ziggler doesn't.

I'm not sold on Charlotte outside of the cozy confines of NXT where she gets time to shine and has SDR putting her matches together. I could see her getting exposed on the main roster when she's thrown in some matches with iffy workers where the agents don't give much of a shit about making anything special.

AKA that throwaway match she had against Natalya on Raw the week of R-Evolution.

After seeing what a guy like Rollins is doing I'm willing to give Balor a chance to get his feet wet. I'm pretty sure Balor is more natural on the mic and charismatic than Neville, and Neville has really improved in NXT.

I think Ambrose might be a better comp in that while Rollins might be a more complete in-ring wrestler, Bálor's got a charisma/it factor about him.

How would you guys book Zayn/Owens? I kind of hope they go the Sting/Vader GAB 92 route and give Owens the big win. It may shock and piss off the fans, but I think that's what Owens should be doing. Zayn could make things too personal, make a mistake, and Owens gets the big KO shot for the win.

I always prefer the heels go over first if it's going to be a long feud.

I don't think you need to do anything too unusual with the match. Your typical match match with Zayn working from underneath, but Owens winning due to rulebreaking is fine. It'll put Owens over without harming Sami any.

Owens should squash Zayn like a bug.

Id have Sami refuse to fight him out of some misguided attempt at saving their friendship.

Owens puts Neville on the shelf with an Apron-Bomb and Sami reluctantly steps into the ring.

Cat and mouse for 5 mins, Sami getting the best of it, until Owens catches him. 10 minute beatdown follows. This should be Nexus debut levels of 'holy shit'. Owens has no remorse and no second thoughts about trying to cripple his friend.

Sami catches a single 'Helluva Kick' as a hope spot but Owens kicks out at 2.99 before hitting his corner senton and the sky high bomb for the win.

After the match he hits another Apron-Bomb that puts Sami on the shelf.

Owens goes through Neville and Breeze as challengers before a showdown with Finn Balor is set up.

During that match Sami does a run in and beatsdown Owens causing the DQ.

Triple Threat match sees Sami pin Owens to regain the title and leaves Balor the clear #1 contender.

Owens moves onto Itami and Sami has a series against Balor for the title, all while Baron Corbin watches from the shadows...

So what if he wrestles like a babyface? He's not getting babyface pops because of it. He's still getting heel heat.

OT, so I won't linger on this, but he looks stupid selling as if he were dying and using dynamic offense like a babyface when he's supposed to be working a Cerebral Assassin Redux gimmick, at least in my view. If other people can look past it, good for them. I'm not saying he has no heel heat, and he'd better after the way they have so heavily pushed him. I think his work still sucks, though.