DVDVR Message Board

2015 RING OF HONOR DISCUSSION THREAD

I'd like to see Joe vs Del Rio, if ADR isn't already finished with his dates for them.

Jay Briscoe vs Joe with the roles reversed could be good too.

I recently saw Joe vs Chris Hero at a JAPW show, and it was good. Nothing special but pretty fun. Joe was going around saying he can't do hard hitting, old-school ROH style matches anymore. Totally understandable, but he might be motivated to step it up a gear for a match or two.

I am very happy he's coming back.  When they come to Baltimore it'd be great to see him live.  Last time I saw him was in '05, so it would be great to see him post-TNA.

Speaking of Baltimore, he's advertised for their tapings yet I likely can't make it due to prior commitments.  I was bummed before about missing ROH tapings, now I'm trying to think of ways to weasel my way out.

Sadly, Da Meltz has said there's nothing to the Spike story.

RUMBLINGZ~!

The company has been in preliminary talks with both AXS and Spike. I don’t know how serious either are, past the point that they, in fact, both have taken place. ROH made a pitch to AXS and I don’t know that anything happened from there, as it’s nothing anyone is talking about. My impression is AXS is happy with New Japan. AXS, when it was HD-Net, aired ROH from 2009 to 2011, when HD-Net opted not to renew the deal. With Spike, the sides are talking right now although it’s premature to say they are serious, since key people in both companies weren’t even aware of the talks, but we have since gotten confirmation that talks are taking place. The idea would be a Friday night show that would air about once per month, with Spike having a regular rotation of Bellator, Glory, Al Haymon’s boxing and pro wrestling. That would be a big coup for exposure, since Spike is in 83 percent of the country and Sinclair Broadcasting syndicated stations make up 37.5% of the country (ROH has a few non-Sinclair stations so they are in close to 40%).

Finally got caught up on the last few months of ROH tv. The Briscoes/Kingdom feud has taken forever and gone nowhere. Also, the whole trend of jobbing out Mark so Jay can keep his singles streak alive is lame.

I really don't like The Decade either. It's just doesn't feel like it's going anywhere. Unless they actually pull the trigger on the Whitmer/Corino feud they're teasing it just seems like a waste. And they seem to have no idea whatsoever on how to get Adam Page over.

I feel like there is huge potential in an unlikely run for The Romantic Touch. I just really love that gimmick.

I like Elgin, but the current World Title feud doesn't do much for me. I feel like there are half a dozen better options for champion and challenger at this point.

Why isn't there a women's division?

ROH is in a weird place right now where all of their marque stuff is happening away from their titles, save for maybe in the tag division. I get they are building Roddy up to eventually challenge for the main title, but everything surrounding the TV Title main event on the last episode felt like so much more of a bigger deal than anything with the World Title, and the matches have been better, too. A lot of that is on Alberto, but Jay Lethal comes across as a legitimate main attraction. I just haven't been able to connect with this run for Jay, I guess. I'd buy Mark as an underdog champ, but Jay Briscoe just reminds me way too much of the shitty redneck jocks I went to high school with to ever be a face for me.

There's so much talent there, but the booking seems listless. With guys like Cedric Alexander, ACH, Sydal, Moose, Hanson, Jimmy Jacobs, and the rotating cast of NJPW gaijin you'd think they'd be able to showcase something a little more compelling.

It's fun to watch, but easy to forget about. With things like NXT around it's just so much easier to spot their booking and storytelling deficiencies even if the matches are usually all at least good.

This week's TV was just a preview of the 12th anniversary show this Sunday.   Was really impressed with Maria and Jay Lethal's promo setting up their match.   

I expect that El Patron beats Lethal tonight for the TV title but hopefully that leads to Lethal going for Jay's title.  I would rather see some newer fight for the heavyweight title then Adam cole again or Michael Elgin again.   

I was there live and boy what a fun show. There was over a thousand people there I'd say. The whole show was good top to bottom. I will say the main event did get a little wonky after the ref bump. Joe's return was crazy. After seeing Moose live I think he's gonna be a star. The two best matches of the night hands down were Styles-ACH and Young Buckss-reDRagon.

Yeah the crowd was silent and also I had to tell the poeple around me who Raymond Rowe was when he ran in. I thought ODB-Maria was pretty good and was alot better then I thought it was gonna be.

RedDragon and Young Bucks was fantastic.

Same for AJ and ACH.

Ciampa looked to legit fuck his shoulder on that bump to the floor. He was rushed to the back immediately after the finish. Any updates?

Awful finish to the main event. Makes Jay look unworthy to be champion right now.  I'm pretty excited for Elgin and Joe.

Saw the recap show, but not the PPV.

1) God damn, Mandy Leon is nice to look at.

2) God damn, Larry Mercer annoys me.

3) Maria and Jay Lethal both cut fantastic promos for their matches. Lethal gets a million cred points for the shooty comment about hand-me-downs.

Yeah, gotta add to the love for Maria's promo.  Thought she was going to scared the whole time, then the music stops and she got serious.  It was really great and amazing to think she used to act like the ditzy girl who didn't know what she was doing.  ROH has been the best thing to happen to her career.  Hell, she even found her husband there.

The PPV itself was great.  The opening video was top-notch, and Sydal/Alexander was a great start to the show.  The other good matches might get more attention, but it was a great showing for both of them.  Moose surprised the hell out of me, and that dropkick was maybe my favorite moment of the show.  It's hard to believe a guy that big pulled off a beautiful dropkick like that, but he did and it was wonderful to watch.

Since AJ regained the NJPW belt, is he once again forbidden from doing jobs in ROH and other non-NJPW companies?  Because I gotta tell you, nothing makes a match more enjoyable to watch than knowing the outcome ahead of time because of petty bullshit politics.