DVDVR Message Board

2015 TNA DISCUSSION THREAD

Woke up and TNA is on Destination America so I decided to see what it looked like. Taz call of Aries vs. Lashley says Lashley is doing MMA soon and he might feel like this is the same after the match... uuuuuuuugh. After the match, they announce "Coming up, Bully Ray puts Dixie through a table! But next, Great Muta and Tajiri versus James Storm and Sanada." bwahahahhaa

Ah, TNA, never change.

I've had the TNA marathon on all day long as I go about my day.

Still waiting for something that makes me want to watch this show. Also, Hulk Hogan with tattoos and True Religion jeans is ridiculous. I just need to see him in a blacked out Range Rover blasting Drake and he's a million aging millionaires in my neighborhood.

After the shitshow that's been RAW, I'm suddenly starting to hope that TNA goes into its every-other-year blind squirrel mode and starts kicking ass, for a few months at least.

• Like 2

From today's WON update (by Bix)

-- Not exactly much buzz for Impact, and you can't even blame the cold product for all of it. They've done a ridiculously small amount of publicity, mainly a handful of Dixie Carter interviews, including one on Jim Ross's podcast. It seems like they've mostly abandoned working with wrestling media, though, as Jeff Jarrett is still everywhere promoting Wrestle Kingdom replays and TNA has a minimal presence when I should be seeing Spud everywhere trying to get SOME kind of buzz going. Robbie E, who's coming off being on The Amazing Race for a full season, did one interview for a Huffington Post article...and that's about it for him. Dan Gelston of the Associated Press wrote an article that's pretty by the numbers but has a few interesting tidbits. Highlights:

This is actually in the article: "Carter said TNA wants to scale back on the crash-TV elements of a bygone era (like when a wrestler was kidnapped by ninjas) and return to quality matches and more sensible angles." For the many of you who didn't watch the month of clip shows that closed out their run on Spike, the ONLY angle that was continued on those shows was James Storm kidnapping Manik and putting him through some kind of ninja trials or something.

Dixie Carter on having their potential audience slashed so much with the move from Spike to Destination America: "Of course, it's a small concern. But the most important thing is, how important are we going to be to them and what are they going to do to build our brand using the muscle of Discovery."

Destination America General Manager Mark Etkind on the move to Fridays: "We felt there was an audience coming to Friday already looking for wrestling and we expect them to find 'Impact.' What we like about the wrestling audience is, it's an all-American audience." The first part officially confirms everything we've heard, that they think the SmackDown audience will be looking for wresting on Fridays. The second part...I have no idea what it means.

I actually feel like the iron has gotten surprisingly hot for them to strike over the last few days. I mean, it's TNA, though, but i'm half tempted to catch them on youtube tomorrow or something for the first time since the 2010 fiasco.

I have Destination America available if I upgrade. It is Fios so the upgrade will be really cheap. I'll just wait 1 week to see if they avoid a brand new evil authority angle. If so I will gladly upgrade since the last run of shows recorded at the Manhattan Center were really good. Plus they go to England soon and they always have good crowds. I am really tempted to just go for it now to see the Lashley match.

I see they signed Young back. Amazing that they brought Russo back after Young had the fishing show and he managed to escape being renamed the Master Baiter.

I am cautiously optimistic. That woman's division spoiler going after Taryn Terrell could turn out really good.

I think the shit show that was Raw is making people give TNA another try since it will be hard to be worst then this week's Raw.

As for the spoiler I hope she does go after Taryn and can only imagine what crazy bump Taryn will take in a gimmick match in the future.

After the shitshow that's been RAW, I'm suddenly starting to hope that TNA goes into its every-other-year blind squirrel mode and starts kicking ass, for a few months at least.

Well, one could dream...

For clarification, Destination America is on my Charter cable listing...but I pulled it up last night and it said I need to subscribe.

They're on a pay-more tier on Comcast here, too. No thanks.

So they drew about 350,000 for the first show, great for Destination America, but what, about 650,000 less than Spike? And going on Fridays is gonna help this?

Are they even gonna bother to do PPV anymore?

So they drew about 350,000 for the first show, great for Destination America, but what, about 650,000 less than Spike? And going on Fridays is gonna help this?

I'm wondering what the rating will be after a month or two. Moving to Friday probably will not help.  Airing taped shows definitely won't help.  Are they doing live shows (or live to tape) or will it strictly be pre-taped?

It is too early for Rippa to start thinking about where he'll move the TNA thread next?  Even a theoretical claim to #2 is starting to look dubious.  WCW might still be the #2 promotion in the US and they've been defunct for a decade and a half.

That picture of Borash is more hilarious every time I see it.  I think he's probably a live-action version of what Jim Ross' character would look like if Ross appeared on South Park.

SHOCKER! The ratings being reported by the sheets and whathaveyou are not correct. Destination America will be releasing the actual numbers in a press release soon.

I'm wondering what the rating will be after a month or two. Moving to Friday probably will not help.  Airing taped shows definitely won't help.  Are they doing live shows (or live to tape) or will it strictly be pre-taped?

Here's what Dixie had to say in an interview about both of these:

On Impact Wrestling moving to Friday nights:

“I think I’ll tell you in a few months if I like being on Friday nights. They presented us with a lot of research and felt very strongly about Friday nights being a potential for them. +3’s is how people look at ratings nowadays, it’s not overnight ratings. With your +3 numbers, you have a much bigger chance for your +3 number over a weekend versus only, like if we were staying on Wednesday, that would be Thursday, Friday and you would have part of Saturday. It’s just an overall strategy. They feel really strongly about it. Wrestling has been successful on Friday nights and is no longer there and so we’ll see how we’ll do.”

On TNA doing live television:

“I think that where we want to go from a production and a feel standpoint from the show does not work going live. It does not allow us to do the kind of things that we’re going to want to do because there’s just a lot of post-production time involved in it. So, we’ll have to see. We can always go live and it can be a show like it will be this Wednesday and it’s going to great action and lots of surprises and just be an amazing show that you’re not going to want to miss but I think where we’re going to try to take the show is definitely going to take post-production time and we’re not going to be able to pull off all the bells and whistles we want if we try to go live.”

There was a funny story on the Bryan & Vinny show where Bryan asked the people at Destination America if there was a way to watch Impact on other platforms like Hulu in the future and they sent a response telling them to contact their local public library.   Needless to say this isn't a progressive cable company we are talking about    :lol:

• Like 1

There was a funny story on the Bryan & Vinny show where Bryan asked the people at Destination America if there was a way to watch Impact on other platforms like Hulu in the future and they sent a response telling them to contact their local public library.   Needless to say this isn't a progressive cable company we are talking about    :lol:

Yeah it was great. I think they are better off just completely ignoring people. Rather deal with that than the computer generated answers with nothing to do with the question.

So, I get that this is nitpicky as all hell, but...Roode's finisher is a fireman's carry into a neckbreaker. Why is "bomb" in the name, exactly? I mean, yeah, the Bubba Bomb involves no powerbombing either, but at least there's alliteration. "Roode Bomb" just sounds like the Fire Pro version of a copyrighted name.