DVDVR Message Board

R.I.P. Stuart Scott

Big Fresh

Stuart Scott was a big part of what's pretty much the gold standard time of SportsCenter. . .Scott & Eisen, Patrick & Olbermann. . .nobody since has even come close. He had a huge impact on the way sports is presented today, nobody can deny that.

RIP, Mr. Scott.

• Like 2

Like probably most of you, I grew up on Dan & Keith and Stuart & Rich on Sportscenter.  I still use "cool as the other side of the pillow" on occasion in conversation.

My single favorite thing in the history of sportscenter was probably Scott calling a Lakers Nick Van Exel highlight by breaking into Prince. "Knew a little guy named Nicky, guess you could say he was a point guard."

And Rich just barely held that together.  I can't imagine finding out your friend of 20 years died while in the middle of a broadcast.

Yeah, the Rich Eisen video is a tough watch for me.  One can only hope to have a friend speak as fondly as he did when we pass.

He use to get a decent amount flak for his anchoring/catchphrases, but I always thought Stuart Scott was a positive, good person.

I'm comically old and remember him doing the Sports Smash on ESPN2 when they were hiP aND eDgy wiTH thE grAPHicS anD wHAtnoT. One morning Olbermann threw it to "Stuart Smash with Sports Scott" to gales of laughter around the set... sure enough, next time Stuart popped up on-screen his chyron read "Stuart Smash." Too fucking funny.

espn_sscott_01_600x600.jpg

RIP Stuart. Peace, love and sport.

• Like 3

Rich Eisen and Hannah Storm reporting this live on the air was one of the most heartbreaking things I've seen on a sports network in a long time. They each did a wonderful job eulogizing him as best they could given the circumstances. As a kid I'd watch the SC replays all day when I was off from school, Scott, Eisen, Patrick, Olbermann, and Cohn were huge parts of my childhood. I can't believe he was only 49, I never realized how young he was back then.

RIP Stuart Scott, he leaves an amazing legacy as a broadcaster that will live forever.

I heard about Stuart's passing earlier in the day, but had to wait until I was alone to watch the tributes. My teen years were filled watching SportsCenter. On days off from school, I'd watch the SC replays all morning. It was incredibly hard to watch both Rich Eisen's tribute and Stuart's ESPY video. There are other things I'd like to say, but can't think of the right words at this time.

R.I.P. Stuart Scott

The clip of Hannah Storm announcing it on NFL Countdown is devasting

My girlfriend and I were okay until Hannah broke down on SportsCenter and then everyone in the house just burst into tears.

RIP to Stuart.  True to himself, true to the game, true to the fucking people.

I haven't watched any of the tributes yet, because I tend to cry when I see others crying. :(

Looking back at his ESPY speech, I can see where Scott knew that the end was near.  He saw that the tunnel would end sooner than later, and he had made peace with it.  To have that clarity in the face of your mortality--to be that brave--is something we all should hope for.

Rich Eisen did a beautiful tribute on NFLN by working all of Scott's calls into the highlight package

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/rich-eisen-fills-whole-highlight-package-with-stuart-sc-1677442800/+bubbaprog

I could have done with a little less of the chirping in the background, but that was hardly Eisen's fault.