DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2016 Edition

Kevin Wilson

You can, but you have no evidence to it :)  Without knowing the money they make now vs. then (the other wrestlers that left I mean, or if they want to go back either), if they even want Mutoh back, etc. its impossible to know what is going on behind the scenes. 

Well, Shiraishi did attempt on more than one occasion to sell the company back to Muto, and apparently for way less than Muto sold it to him. Muto had the financial backers and decided to start W1 instead. Akiyama stated in January that he didn't blame anyone who left for W1 and was ready to work with them and anyone else who was positive to working with All Japan.

On another note, Naoya Ogawa is in the press demanding Suwama and All Japan show up to IGF's show in Osaka on 5/5. Kazuyuki Fujita has been asking for it as well.

Guest Edwin

Keita Yano made his MMA debut yesterday at Real 2 and he got steamrolled by Carlos Toyota as he got KO'd in 17 seconds of the first round.

Ryuichi Sekine from K-DOJO has been fighting in MMA too recently. He's fought twice in GRACHAN and his MMA career hasn't been good as it's lasted a total of 28 seconds as he's gotten knocked out in both of his fights in really short time in both of his fights.

Cavernario is in Best of the Super Juniors? Cavernario is in Best of the Super Juniors!

Bárbaro Cavernario

Alex Shelley

Baretta

Bobby Fish

Chase Owens

David Finlay

Gedo

Kushida

Jushin Thunder Liger

Máscara Dorada

Kyle O'Reilly

Nick Jackson

Ryusuke Taguchi

Rocky Romero

Yohei Komatsu

Tiger Mask IV 0

Not a bad lineup, except for the fact that I have no use for Taguchi or Tiger Mask IV, but with their relationship with Noah I figured they'd add Ishimori or Sabre Jr. 

In trying to find something outside of NJPW to get into from Japan, this "This day in history" piece from F4W sounds amazing.  I'd love to see if there's video of this somewhere, or if anything confirmation that this was indeed wacky and awesome.

I have been watching some DDT: DNA

It is their version of NXT.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ddtofficial/videos

couple quick things re AJPW: 

AJPW is actually the only promotion I go out of my way to follow these days beyond just reading all the results. call it blind loyalty, but they've always been my favourite company. the most negative thing I can say is that Kento Miyahara has been a big disappointment and I don't see him ever being a convincing top guy, though I'm sure AJPW will continue to force it because they don't have anybody else. some of the young lions that debuted recent;y look real good, especially Naoya Nomura. 

i think they only really need to steal two or three big names to freshen up the roster and create some new match-ups. the obvious choice would be Sekimoto since he would make a good opponent for Suwama and Shiozaki, but I think he's pretty closely tied to NOAH these days. if i were Akiyama I would steal Manabu Soya back from Wrestle-1 and give him the whole New Hero push right away. it's sad watching him try to adjust his hard-hitting style to guys like KAI and Kono in W-1.  

I love the idea of an AJPW vs IGF feud, not that anybody would take notice. Suwama vs Fujita in a 10-12 minute super stiff brawl that ends with Suwama getting the win would make my year. 

• Like 1

I saw on Shinsuke Nakamura's wiki that the WWE was considering "borrowing" him so he could work in front of bigger crowds a while back, but has there been any recent interest in signing him by the WWE?

I just saw Nakamura/Ibushi from Wrestle Kingdom 9 the other day (I know, I know) and Nakamura just has "it" in spades. He just has an incredible amount of charisma and presence and everything you wanna see in a wrestler that it would be truly difficult for WWE to mess him up (though possible, knowing WWE).

It amazes me that the Match of the Year in 2015 was held on January 4. I'd love to hear someone come up with something better, 'cause I wanna watch it. Nakamura-Ibushi was just art, period. Tanahashi-Okada was great, too - what an incredible two-match combo that was.

He's 35, which is oldish for a wrestler, whatever, but that's not a huge deal. He may not be a star for 10-15 years, but how do you pass up a talent like that? If you can't make him work, it's your fault, not his. The "language barrier" is simply an excuse with a guy like this. Imagine Paul Heyman doing the talking for him.

I saw on Shinsuke Nakamura's wiki that the WWE was considering "borrowing" him so he could work in front of bigger crowds a while back, but has there been any recent interest in signing him by the WWE?

That little blurb is an incorrect rumor posted by Tokyo Sports around a decade ago. The person they were actually interested in at the time was Minoru Tanaka.

To be fair, Nakamura didn't get his charisma injection until about 2011 or so, so anything before that, he was kinda generic Japanese Striker.  

• Like 1

Not really. He always had a good deal of charisma. He just didn't have the personality to really make decent use of it until then. Before that he was very much influx stylistically trying to figure things out. Its been awhile, but I don't recall him being big striker at all.

To be fair, Nakamura didn't get his charisma injection until about 2011 or so, so anything before that, he was kinda generic Japanese Striker.  

Nakamura's character changed in 2009. He just started doing unorthodox arm gestures later.

Last night I dreamt of "The Bloody Hand Match", AJW Kong/Hotta 1/24/94. I hadn't seen it in at least five years, but I dreamt that I was attending a reception for a local film awards show (that IRL I failed to attend) and I was talking to my director/friend about the shared themes between modern feminist cinema and violent Joshi. Long story short, I watched the match again and it still stands as one of my favorites ever. One of the most unique and gruesome uses of body part psychology ever laid to tape. A cornerstone in the study of dramatic form in wrestling matches! This is some highbrow shit!

couple quick things re AJPW: 

AJPW is actually the only promotion I go out of my way to follow these days beyond just reading all the results. call it blind loyalty, but they've always been my favourite company. the most negative thing I can say is that Kento Miyahara has been a big disappointment and I don't see him ever being a convincing top guy, though I'm sure AJPW will continue to force it because they don't have anybody else. some of the young lions that debuted recent;y look real good, especially Naoya Nomura. 

i think they only really need to steal two or three big names to freshen up the roster and create some new match-ups. the obvious choice would be Sekimoto since he would make a good opponent for Suwama and Shiozaki, but I think he's pretty closely tied to NOAH these days. if i were Akiyama I would steal Manabu Soya back from Wrestle-1 and give him the whole New Hero push right away. it's sad watching him try to adjust his hard-hitting style to guys like KAI and Kono in W-1.  

I love the idea of an AJPW vs IGF feud, not that anybody would take notice. Suwama vs Fujita in a 10-12 minute super stiff brawl that ends with Suwama getting the win would make my year. 

--- Been doing some watching lately.. I think someone really underrated but can never be taken seriously is Zeus. His match with Go Shiozaki this year was really fucking good. Also, I too thought that out of all the guys who left Manabu Soya (and KAI) should have stayed as they definitely would have shifted a lot of the weight that Kento Miyahara has to prematurely carry on him. Suwama vs. Manabu would have been an awesome TC match (just as Go vs, KAI would have been).

I tend to lean more towards Yohei Nakajima than Naoya Nomura, but I do think it's time to start putting Nomura in a couple of veteran/rookie tags ala Suwama/Takumi Soya

Agreed on all counts, though I haven't checked out Go/Zeus yet. I was also a big fan of Yasufumi Nakanoue and would have liked for him to stick around and develop some more. Never really saw the potential in KAI (too generic for my taste) but I did like him better than Seiya Sanada. 

Also just watched the Carny final, and it's fun. Crowd is hotter/louder than you would expect considering how little attention the tournament got. Suwama did an STO at one point and it got a big pop...not sure if it was a direct dig at Ogawa or not but if they are gonna feud with IGF they could do worse than Suwama vs Ogawa as the key match. 

Does Suwama have any marketability as a freelancer at this point? He's one of the few top guys who never did many inter-promotional matches. I'd like to think people would be excited about something like Suwama vs Nakamura or Suwama vs Okada but I also feel like he's got that B-league stigma from being in an ailing company for so long (a la Booker T never really being taken seriously by WWE fans after WCW went under). 

Agreed on all counts, though I haven't checked out Go/Zeus yet. I was also a big fan of Yasufumi Nakanoue and would have liked for him to stick around and develop some more. Never really saw the potential in KAI (too generic for my taste) but I did like him better than Seiya Sanada. 

Also just watched the Carny final, and it's fun. Crowd is hotter/louder than you would expect considering how little attention the tournament got. Suwama did an STO at one point and it got a big pop...not sure if it was a direct dig at Ogawa or not but if they are gonna feud with IGF they could do worse than Suwama vs Ogawa as the key match. 

Does Suwama have any marketability as a freelancer at this point? He's one of the few top guys who never did many inter-promotional matches. I'd like to think people would be excited about something like Suwama vs Nakamura or Suwama vs Okada but I also feel like he's got that B-league stigma from being in an ailing company for so long (a la Booker T never really being taken seriously by WWE fans after WCW went under). 

I liked Nakanoue but I think he lacked a bit of charisma to be anything more than a tag guy. I was amped about KAI's return and he seemed super ready to mix it up with the NOAH guys. KAI/Go from the CC Semi's 2013 might be a carry job from Go, but KAI didn't make it too hard for him to be carried.

My crossover doubts of Suwama were squashed after he wrestled Nakamura/Okada at the big interpromotional show at Budokan. Fans love him and he definitely brings a big match aura when he's other places. He wants to wrestle other places as he absolutely loved working with the BJW guys for that year or so.

I am having a discussion with some folks about the drawing power of the Young Bucks.

1. Would you consider them a draw in New Japan?

2. True or False: ". The Bucks are accepted as main event level any where on this planet thats not VKM associated"

1. No. Junior heavyweights generally aren't draws in New Japan. Jr. Heavyweight tag teams especially.

2. Also no. They're not main event level by themselves outside of PWG.

• Like 1