DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2016 Edition

Kevin Wilson

Looking for the best matches from Jamal (Umaga) from Japan. Interested in seeing how he worked over there. I ask because I am

Currently listening to the interview with Jey Uso on the LAW. Feb. 15 Edition of The LAW feat. Jimmy Uso, Dave Meltzer - Fight Network https://fightnetwork.com/news/53924:feb.-15-edition-of-the-law-feat.-jimmy-uso-dave-meltzer/

This year's Champions Carnival lineup (via purolove):

- Go Shiozaki (Triple Crown Champion) 
- Kento Miyahara 
- Suwama 
- Joe Doering 
- KENSO 
- Kengo Mashimo 
- Yutaka Yoshie 
- Zeus 
- The Bodyguard 
- Akebono 
- Jun Akiyama
- Takao Omori 

Pretty much what you'd expect--which is to say, pretty dull. Pretty sure it's essentially the same as last year, except instead of Nishimura and Kashin you get the Bodyguard and Kengo Mashimo.

I don't think any Puroresu group will ever go under. They will just split into more smaller groups.

It's amazing how Zero-1 is still a thing and they still have the same roster of the same 6 or 7 guys they had ten years ago.

This year's Champions Carnival lineup (via purolove):

- Go Shiozaki (Triple Crown Champion) 
- Kento Miyahara 
- Suwama 
- Joe Doering 
- KENSO 
- Kengo Mashimo 
- Yutaka Yoshie 
- Zeus 
- The Bodyguard 
- Akebono 
- Jun Akiyama
- Takao Omori 

Pretty much what you'd expect--which is to say, pretty dull. Pretty sure it's essentially the same as last year, except instead of Nishimura and Kashin you get the Bodyguard and Kengo Mashimo.

I'm very cool with Kengo Mashimo being added.  However, all of that is pretty much negated by The Bodyguard.  It's a wash.  

The line-up isn't surprising, as it's essentially their current roster.  They really should have added Shigehiro Irie, though.  I'm not sure what's holding them back on pushing him more as a heavyweight, I'm guessing it may be his DDT commitments.  

I was holding out hope they might score Shingo Takagi for the Carnival as well.  

So yeah, I'm with you:  not great, not bad, just there.  

Japanese reading people, what is All Japan apologizing to Joe Doering for?  Google Translate didn't provide much help:

Over at SSS someone mentioned Doering complained about not being paid for the Kenta Kpbashi's show from last year on facebook. It seems to relate to that.

yeah, he's since retracted his comments more or less, apologizing to kobashi & explaining it was a miscommunication

This is sort of timely as the Bill DeMott situation is going on right now. Mecha Iketeru is a Japanese variety show. You may have seen clips of the show in the past that featured Japanese actresses/idols going up against two guys dressed like Bull Nakano and Dump Matsumoto. Anyway, the show will sometimes send out their cast members to complete various "challenges." In this case, they've sent out San-chan, a guy who got on the show mainly because he idolizes Takashi Okamura, to try to become a pro wrestler. San-chan isn't funny, he isn't talented. He's just there because he wants to be a "geinojin" (celebrity). So off he goes to train with Michinoku Pro Wrestling. But he's not in shape and can't pass their physical test. Since this is a TV show, he gets a chance to train with them to get in shape. There are no bumps or moves practiced. Just training. Still, it's Michinoku Pro on prime time TV and you get to see Jinsei Shinzaki looking all cool in his suit. Also next week, Honma and Makabe!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2iwxe6_%E3%82%81%E3%81%A1%E3%82%832%E3%82%A4%E3%82%B1%E3%81%A6%E3%82%8B%E3%83%83-%E5%A3%AE%E7%B5%B6-%E4%B8%89%E4%B8%AD%E3%83%97%E3%83%AD%E3%83%AC%E3%82%B9%E4%BF%AE%E6%A5%AD%E3%81%AB%E5%AF%86%E7%9D%80sp-150307_tv

I have a question about of all things streamers and their importance in Japan.

Obviously ROH loves throwing streamers at guys they respect.  And it supposedly started in Japan, right?  And I imagine ROH fans did that because it started in Japan.  I'd like to know when and how it started, does it still happen, and just how important they were/are in Japan.  I'd also be curious about when/why the tradition started with ROH and what Japanese fans/wrestlers think when they see that.

I don't think there's a big meaning behind it. I think they just throw it to show appreciation.

I don't remember, when fans started throwing them at ROH shows, but I remember when they threw toilet paper at Jimmy Rave. That was fun.

• Like 1

I don't know exactly when it started but it was common during the Japanese idol boom of the 70s to throw streamers during live performances so maybe wrestling picked it up from there.

Most groups still do it on a limited basis, more the women's groups than the men's though. I think only New Japan has banned them outright (except for special occasions).

Guest Edwin

Japanese fans have been throwing streamers since the 80's I believe.

I know they would throw them in the ring for Baba and Jumbo during their nutty entrances and in Joshi for the Crash Gals in the 80's. Maybe in the 70's too, but I don't recall them actually throwing them back then. But who knows, maybe I'm wrong and am confusing the 60's with the 70's.

Either way, it's been a tradition for Japanese fans to throw in streamers for the fan favorites over the years, namely in All Japan where they would throw in streamers for the big stars like Kawada, Kobashi and Misawa and for the fan favorites like Kikuchi. The bigger stars would get more thrown in the ring.

New Japan didn't get as many streamers thrown in the ring, but the fans would throw them in the 80's during wild brawls namely.

I recall ROH fans throwing in streamers for Samoa Joe back when he was the unbeatable champion and then catching it on from there. I don't think they threw any before that, not even for the All Japan invasion or various Japanese wrestlers that came in for a match.