DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2016 Edition

Kevin Wilson

I feel like Suzuki finally dropping the belt should have ended the storyline. Having Sugi join Suzuki-gun just waters down the upcoming title match and makes Sugiura look more like a henchman than a top guy in his own right. How much longer are these guys going to linger around NOAH? And who will finally get the tag belts, are they gonna put them back on TMDK?

Also I'm not a fan of his work over the past 10 years but would there be any upside to putting the strap on Yone finally, even as just a 1 defense transitional guy? He must have a sentimental fanbase accumulated by now, the same way Nakanishi did by the end of his tenure as Top NJPW Heavy Who's Never Had the Belt. 

TMDK & Takeshi Morishima's contracts expired with NOAH and they've left the company, according to Enuhito.

EDIT: Oh, and NOAH won't hold Morishima's retirement match or ceremony. But he also wants to wrestle more. So...

I feel like Suzuki finally dropping the belt should have ended the storyline. Having Sugi join Suzuki-gun just waters down the upcoming title match and makes Sugiura look more like a henchman than a top guy in his own right. How much longer are these guys going to linger around NOAH? And who will finally get the tag belts, are they gonna put them back on TMDK?

You're right, the story has to end at some point, but if they got rid of Suzuki and all the other New Japan guys, the roster would be incredibly small even with Shiozaki and Kanemaru returning. The only thing they could do is replace them with other New Japan guys. Shibata isn't really living up to his full potential in New Japan, but if they brought him into NOAH, he could easily be one of the top guys immediately.

TMDK & Takeshi Morishima's contracts expired with NOAH and they've left the company, according to Enuhito.

EDIT: Oh, and NOAH won't hold Morishima's retirement match or ceremony. But he also wants to wrestle more. So...

Well, that's probably the last confirmation we needed that TMDK is WWE-bound.

Wasn't Morishima forced to retire due to health reasons? I had no idea he still wanted to go.

Hopefully there's still someone around who used to follow the sleaze promotions in the late 90s/early 00s...

There was a gaijin - the only one, so he stood out - who used to work some shows, and he was so unremarkable he was remarkable. I always pretended to myself he was probably teaching English or something? Any ideas?

I think Foywonder posted two Zipang matches on youtube, really wish more Zipang made it to the west.

Just noticed it's Gentaro and not FM Taro in the second match, don't think I have actually seen Gentaro work as FM Taro. As far as I know FM Taro has always been Shin'ichi Shino.

Watching that great New Japan history video (hope there is a version 2) and amazed/baffled that New Japan was doing exploding barbed wire matches with Onita in 99.   What was the idea behind bringing him in and then doing these matches against guys who had really no business in these matches like Choshu and Chono.

Onita was using the last of his draw power (which had been severely depleted due to him coming out of retirement) and New Japan's business was starting its decline. The weird thing was, the Japanese  press raved about the Chono/Onita match. Onita really wanted to force Choshu and Inoki out of retirement but settled for just Choshu knowing Inoki, even if he did break his retirement, would never do that style match.

James

Inoki never coming out of retirement for a big match is one of my biggest life mysteries. I just assume he had some legit injury type issues he never disclosed. Especially when IGF first started, him coming out of retirement for 'one more match' against Ogawa or something would have done great business.

I think Inoki believed he had some kind of integrity left (in his own mind you understand). Coming out of retirmeent would make him lower than Onita and he would never want to be lumped together with Onita for any reason.

James

I think Inoki believed he had some kind of integrity left (in his own mind you understand). Coming out of retirmeent would make him lower than Onita and he would never want to be lumped together with Onita for any reason.

James

I mean 98% of retired wrestlers come out of retirement, I wouldn't think just a comparison to Onita would stop him, especially by the time IGF rolled around.

I think Onita also got a huge pay day out of it and NJPW got to show they were "superior" to garbage wrestlers in the process. At least that's my take on it.

Anyway, Daichi Hashimoto has finally found a home, he signed a deal with Big Japan after competing there the last few months during his sporadic and pointless IGF career which ended with Ogawa squashing him on NYE in 3 minutes. I assume that deal ended or is going to. That was a waste of like 2 years. At least they paid him well I'd imagine, unlike Zero-One could.

I can't believe NJPW wouldn't sign him. There has to be some kind of issue.

EDIT: Yeah well it's probably him yoking himself to Inoki and his father's indie so nevermind

He was however in the main event of that "Shinya Hashimoto's Death 10th Anniversary" show last July, that apart from himself only featured New Japan talent.

I wonder who promoted that.

Shinya Hashimoto Death 10th Anniversary "SHINYA HASHIMOTO EASTER", 13.07.2015 (Samurai! TV)

Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1,000 Fans

1. Jushin Thunder Liger njpw.jpg & Tiger Mask njpw.jpg besiegen Yohei Komatsu njpw.jpg & Sho Tanaka njpw.jpg(11:31) nach einem Vertical Drop Brainbuster von Liger gegen Komatsu.

2. Hiroyoshi Tenzan njpw.jpg & Satoshi Kojima njpw.jpg besiegen Manabu Nakanishi njpw.jpg & Captain New Japan njpw.jpg(9:39) nach dem Anaconda Vice von Tenzan gegen Captain.

3. Yuji Nagata njpw.jpg besiegt Daichi Hashimoto igf.jpg(16:16) mit einem Backdrop Hold.

Credit: Purolove.com

Holy shit, Shiro Koshinaka clearing house in 2015 and then teaming up with Taguchi (fellow flying hip attack user) was booking genius and a huge markout moment for me. 

MENG! HAKU! KING HAKU!