DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2016 Edition

Kevin Wilson

Call me crazy, but I thought KUSHIDA vs. Omega was MOTN.

Crazy.

It could be, in a timeline that Shibata/Sakuraba and Okada/Styles didn't exist.

I would go Shibata/Sakuraba for MOTN. I was not even that enamored with Okada/Styles. I plan on watching that one back to make sure it wasn't just sheer exhaustion by the time I got to watching it.

KUSHIDA/Omega was just okay for me. The selling issues really hurt that match tremendously. Also, I am surprised people have not commented on Omega applying the figure four to the wrong leg.

Call me crazy, but I thought KUSHIDA vs. Omega was MOTN.

Crazy.

It could be, in a timeline that Shibata/Sakuraba and Okada/Styles didn't exist.

KUSHIDA/Omega was just okay for me. The selling issues really hurt that match tremendously. Also, I am surprised people have not commented on Omega applying the figure four to the wrong leg.

I'll have to go back, but I thought he did the Reverse Figure 4.

It looked like a regular figure four to me, but the exposed knee was the outside knee as opposed to the knee taking the pressure from the hold. It's a very nit-picky thing, and honestly my issues with the match has more to do with the leg work not really negating Kushida's offense at all down the stretch.

Thought the main event of Dominion was a special one - the Bullet Club stuff in the beginning was seamless and interesting, and most of their interference is anything but. I am also of the opinion that AJ made Okada look like a zillion bucks and really busted his ass to put him even more over. The finishing run was almost subversive - it wasn't exactly the Tanahashi/Suzuki "no nearfalls" routine, but it evoked it in the sense that once the finishing sequence started there was no back-and-forth nearfalls. The psychology of Okada's hunt for the Tombstone is consistently one of the best big-match sequences out there - here, once that tension broke, Okada and AJ started working like they knew the next big move to land was going to be the end of it. There are not enough stars in the sky to give to this match~

Also can't believe I liked KUSHIDA/Omega so much, as I can't stand Kenny's shtick and am a born-and-bred SELL THE LEG, MAN! type. KUSHIDA makes his matches high-stakes, it's important. You know what Japanese junior heavyweight wrestling needs? Japanese junior heavyweights who don't fucking suck.  I had some beers so I'm gonna rant.

The post-Liger IWGP Juniof Heavyweight progression of Japanese-born champions is literally Tatsuhito Takaiwa -> Minoru Tanaka  -> Masayuki Naruse-> Kendo Ka Shin-> Koji Kanemoto -> Tiger Mask IV -> Jado -> Ryusuke Taguchi -> Wataru Inoue -> Naomichi Marufuji -> Kota Ibushi -> KUSHIDA. Read that back from the top as many times as you need to. I know between 1999-2007 the IWGP title was shit, but even then. Damn. The Junior Heavyweight list is brutal.  I'm saying this as a Koji Kanemoto supporter and a Marufuji apologist. Seven and a half of those guys abjectly suck as singles workers if you count HEAT. Keep raiding the indies, Shin Nihon, it worked with Okada.

• Like 1

Can someone explain to me what a "captain's fall" match is? I see them in AJPW results all the time.

It's pretty much just an elimination style tag match with the addition that each team has a captain and the match is over as soon as he's eliminated.

The post-Liger IWGP Juniof Heavyweight progression of Japanese-born champions is literally Tatsuhito Takaiwa -> Minoru Tanaka  -> Masayuki Naruse-> Kendo Ka Shin-> Koji Kanemoto -> Tiger Mask IV -> Jado -> Ryusuke Taguchi -> Wataru Inoue -> Naomichi Marufuji -> Kota Ibushi -> KUSHIDA. Read that back from the top as many times as you need to. I know between 1999-2007 the IWGP title was shit, but even then. Damn. The Junior Heavyweight list is brutal.  I'm saying this as a Koji Kanemoto supporter and a Marufuji apologist. Seven and a half of those guys abjectly suck as singles workers if you count HEAT. Keep raiding the indies, Shin Nihon, it worked with Okada.

I think a big part of the watering down of the Jr. division world wide is that heavyweight wrestlers are much smaller than they were in the past.  Tanahashi, Kenta, Marufuji, etc. aren't exactly Baba, Jumbo, Kawada in size.  Those guys would have probably been Jrs. in the 90s, but since wrestlers are so much smaller they are credible heavyweights.

KENTA and Marufuji were juniors well into the 2000s, KENTA a couple years more than Maru

That is kind of my point.  Kenta looks tiny now that he is in NXT, and most of those guys aren't very big.  He was booked as a heavyweight in NOAH, and was seen as credible.  The fall of the Jr. division is because guys that size could be booked as credible heavyweights.  Devitt was on his way to getting pushed as a heavyweight before he left, AJ Styles is essentially a Jr., Ibushi was the Jr. Champion as recently as last year, and Omega is probably going to be pushed as a heavyweight going forward.  Those guys could and would have been a part of a great Jr. division, but they aren't going to stick around in the lower midcard to boost that division.  I'd like the Jr. division to be built back up, but if you are Omega or Ibushi why would you ever choose being a Jr. over being a heavyweight?

I will be conducting a G1 Climax: 25 on my copy of King of Colosseum. I will be uploading each day to follow along with NJPW's schedule. I just completed Day 1. I will upload each day upon completion.
I will be controlling Kota Ibushi only.

King Of Colosseum 2: G1 Climax 25 Day 1 - YouTube https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEWwQDhwSqdmGF3MSMqHHvj0MPcDJIvpF

• Like 1

Man, it seems like it's finally time to pay attention to NOAH again. I hope that show shows up somewhere,

Okay, because this wasn't explained whatsoever I went to the trouble of looking up NOAH results myself (nobody is doing their damn job around here anymore!) and found this 

tumblr_inline_nrqkdgdEdE1qhf2de_500.jpg

*Stewie Griffin voice* Man Super Crazy got faaaaaaaat (most of us here can relate to that gentlemen, no insult intended) I'm so out of the loop I have no idea who the other three are.

and this 

tumblr_inline_nroqd0J3HG1qhf2de_500.png

Well shit. This and Suguira (remember when we called him Big Boss?) going up against Suzuki might be good as long as everyone reigns it in a bit. Someone should tell me how the above was if/when it comes out on the Youtubes or Dailymotions.

Man, it seems like it's finally time to pay attention to NOAH again. I hope that show shows up somewhere,

Okay, because this wasn't explained whatsoever I went to the trouble of looking up NOAH results myself (nobody is doing their damn job around here anymore!) and found this 

I was talking about the "riot" that broke out after the main event. Apparently fans got really loud and threw trash into the ring. This also lead to Taichi getting into a scuffle with one of the band members of AK-47 (or whatever that band is called). Japanese fans rarely get this emotional. Seems like Suzuki-gun is really drawing a lot of heat in NOAH, which is a good thing.

I can't help, but also be a bit excited about Suzuki vs. Takayama, even knowing how broken down Takayama is.

Suzuki vs. Sugiura should definitely be good.

Well shit. This and Suguira (remember when we called him Big Boss?) going up against Suzuki might be good as long as everyone reigns it in a bit. Someone should tell me how the above was if/when it comes out on the Youtubes or Dailymotions.

A bunch of the matches have shown up on Dailymotion now.

Suzuki vs. Takayama was better than I expected. I quite liked it actually. Of course, you have to brace yourself for a lot of outside interference, but New Japan viewers should be used to that by now.

I would also recommend Daisuke Harada vs. Zack Sabre Jr. from the same show. Those two guys just have incredible chemistry with each other. I saw another match of theirs against each other in wXw, which was also amazing. They just click.

• 2 weeks later...