DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2016 Edition

Kevin Wilson

I don't usually have anything against Michael Elgin, but he had a singles match against a different New Japan guy on all of the recent ROH/NJPW shows and in my opinion he didn't click with any of them. Would have preferred someone else in that slot.

It's funny, last year I remember we were all (okay a few of us) saying how cool it would be if Tenzan made it to the finals by the skin of his teeth and then lost to a young guy. now we're all predicting his grotesque demise. either way, good for him so long as his matches don't suck. 

Taiyo Kea. Back in AJPW. all his matches so far seem to run about 10 mins shorter than one would expect them to given the other wrestlers involved. please tell me he's not like horribly broken down/out of shape and just doing weird short guest appearances as a kind of borderline-comedy Legends figure to add a name to the roster. 

To add to W-1 troubles, Masakatsu Funaki announced today that he was leaving the promotion to become a freelancer and his last show would be on 6/20. Muto offered him a spot contract, and he turned that down as well. Sanada's in America, Funaki's leaving, and Kea's returned to All Japan.

• Like 1

TAJIRI took a spot date contract where has to work a certain amount of dates and is paid per appearance. Financial wise I'm not sure what shape W-1 is in, but I could imagine they spent a lot of money having nearly 30 guys on the roster and all the equipment they travel with.

Watching Wrestle-1 really, truly hurts my brain.  Come on, I can't be the only one...

Taiyo Kea back in AJPW really doesn't do it for me in 2015, sorry to say.  Now, if he's back in the groove and putting on killer matches like the Kea of old, I'll be first in line with praise.  I'm honestly not expecting that to happen, though.  

Last week Tenryu announced the second half of his retirement tour:

第12戦 6月30日大日本プロレス Big Japan 6/30 in Sapporo
(北海道・札幌テイセンホール)
第13戦 7月27日天龍プロジェクト Tenryu Project 7/27 at Shiba King 1st Ring
(東京・新木場1stRING)
第14戦 8月9日九州プロレス Kyushu Pro 8/9 in Hakata
(福岡・博多スターレーン)
第15戦 8月23日DDT DDT 8/23 at Ryugaku
(東京・両国国技館)
第16戦 8月30日大日本プロレス Big Japan 8/30 in Nagoya
(愛知・名古屋国際会議場イベントホール)
第17戦 9月2日天龍プロジェクト Tenryu Project 9/2 at Korakuen
(東京・後楽園ホール)
第18戦 9月13日ゼロワン Zero-1 9/13 in Niigata
(新潟・佐渡市相川町民体育館)
第19戦 10月4日フリーダムズ Freedoms 10/4 in Iwate
(岩手・一関総合体育館ユードームメインアリーナ)
第20戦 10月5日 フリーダムズ Freedoms 10/5 in Akita
(秋田・大館市民体育館)
最終戦 11月15日 天龍プロジェクト Tenryu Project 11/15 at Ryugaku

(東京・両国国技館)

Watching Wrestle-1 really, truly hurts my brain.  Come on, I can't be the only one....  

I haven't watched any of it. The balance between good matches and entertaining storylines between AJPW/W1 is sad. However, I'd rather watch Suwama/Doering/Akiyama/Omori/Akebono/Miyahara try to put on good matches then watch whatever it is W1 is trying to do.

Kota Ibushi made an appearance on SASUKE (aka Ninja Warrior) which aired last night in Japan. He timed out on the Soritatsu Kabe (Warped Wall). I was lucky enough to attend the taping in May through a friend and they didn't show on TV that after he timed out, he tried to do a flip part way up the wall and almost landed on his head.

I still have the IC title match and main event to go as far as things I want to/should watch from this show.

0. Opener was what it was, but I enjoyed it. Komatsu looked really good with Mascara Dorada.

1. Jr tag spot fest was good. Even though the Young Bucks did a lot of shtick, they're such great smug pricks. Really liked the dropkick spot where the Bucks were sitting on Cody Hall's shoulders. I half expected them to be toped instead.

2. I really want an Ingobernable tshirt! Honma is a really good babyface, but man Fat Fuck Fale is awful. Yujiro isn't much better. Naito's new character is pretty cool.

3. I might need to reach this as I skipped ahead a little bit. What I did see was really good.

4.Jr Heavyweight title match was a little hit and miss. Kushida's selling was a little bit inconsistent towards the end and it wasn't even "fighting spirit" no-selling. Omega looked a little klunky on offense. It was better than the Tokyo Dome Jr title match, though.

5. I skipped ahead to the finish which was cool. Don't quite get the Ishii love and don't quite get the Makabe hate. I do wonder if Ishii was legit out on his feet towards the end before the spider German suplex.

6. Skipped it.

7. Toru Yano is a miracle worker getting a good match out of Tanahashi. I bit on a few of the false finishers. Tanahashi selling the low blow even after the match was a neat touch.

Call me crazy, but I thought KUSHIDA vs. Omega was MOTN.

Crazy.

It could be, in a timeline that Shibata/Sakuraba and Okada/Styles didn't exist.