DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2016 Edition

Kevin Wilson

Yikes, I finally watched that Shibata/Shiozaki match. That's the saddest thing I've ever seen.
The match was pretty good actually, but the crowd was dead silent for the entire match. What the fuck happened to NOAH, man? This was supposed to be a big interpromotional match between two of the biggest stars of either promotion and the crowd didnn't give a single shit about any of it.

2 hours ago, SouderDrew said:

Question for those who subscribe to New Japan World. I am thinking about signing up for it and I'm just wondering if it like the WWE Network where you can watch whole shows from the 70s, 80s, 90s, etc or can you just watch individual matches?

Unfortunately, NJPW World isn't the best resource when it comes to archives, and is nowhere near WWE Network in that regard.  Pre-2012, there's no more than a couple dozen matches for each year (with most videos being individual matches, aside from the Dome shows).  Going back to the 70s, 1979 has the most matches tagged at 11, and 1989 leads the 80s with 34...

On 11/12/2016 at 7:40 PM, The Z said:

Yikes, I finally watched that Shibata/Shiozaki match. That's the saddest thing I've ever seen.
The match was pretty good actually, but the crowd was dead silent for the entire match. What the fuck happened to NOAH, man? This was supposed to be a big interpromotional match between two of the biggest stars of either promotion and the crowd didnn't give a single shit about any of it.

I don't remember them being any worse than a typical NOAH crowd but then I was completely sucked into the match so I wasn't noticing. They really should redo it in NJ with flipped winners and then finish with a rubber match, that would be so dope. Shiozaki might end up in the hospital after though.

So, I seem to remember a story from like a year ago that Takumi Soya was returning to wrestling (and All Japan). Am I wrong? I'm wondering if it was more like Takumi was in the crowd and blogs made something of it that it wasn't.

The 11/22 BJW show is really damn good. The six man is full of big guys running into each other and Hashimotos kicking each other as expected, but I think it's even more smartly structured and wrestled than usual. Isami Kodaka is completely insane in the also-excellent Deathmatch Title main event. And the undercard has Hideki Suzuki in one match, and Big Guns and Nomura in another, so what's not to love?

Tokyo Sports Year-End Awards:

http://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/prores/mens_prores/628622/

MVP: Tetsuya Naito

Best Bout: Okada vs Marufuji - 7/18 G1 Climax

Best Tag Team: Strong BJ (Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabayashi)

Fighting Spirit Award: Katsuhiko Nakajima

Distinguished Service Medal: Kento Miyahara

Technique award: Kenny Omega

Rookie award: Chihiro Hashimoto

Joshi Wrestling award: Io Shirai

Lifetime Achievement Award: Hayabusa

2 hours ago, BAHU said:

Tubasa is the owner of FU*CK.

I thought I recognized the name from my puro travels but didn't know if that was actually the owner selling the items so I didn't want to call him out like that :) Unless he has it listed somewhere as his official account in which case I am glad I am able to directly support them indirectly.

The name that makes me worry for that Pro-Wrestling Masters show is Liger i.e. with yearly new Japan contract signings right around he corner him being the only NJ guys in that match make me wonder...

James

17 hours ago, J.H. said:

The name that makes me worry for that Pro-Wrestling Masters show is Liger i.e. with yearly new Japan contract signings right around he corner him being the only NJ guys in that match make me wonder...

James

I wouldn't worry too much, Liger seemingly has always had a blank check to wrestle anywhere he wants due to his status in New Japan, ranging from WWE to random US Indies to Michinoku Pro. I think as long as Liger is wrestling he will be affiliated with NJPW.

• 2 weeks later...

Something else about those recent Z1 results...

[SPOILERS AHEAD]

I don't really follow Zero-One (who does these days) but I was a little taken aback by how, uh, regressive the results fromtheir big show were this week, Ohtani retains the jr strap AND Sato retains over Obata? Wasn't the whole point of the Fire Festival this year to establish Obata finallyy as the new top guy so they don't have to rely on Sato until he's as old as Hashimoto was when he led this company? Say what you will about Kento Miyahara but at least AJPW invested in a young, unproven guy and have stuck with him long enough to pay off the investment (his recent title match with Suwama was a fantastic New Man vs Guy Who Up Until Now Has Unquestionably Been the Man match. 

Also, the Jr tag title match finish sounds RIDICULOUS! "Double pinfall" in 216?? What??

Quick note from Tokyo that last nights bjw tag title match was off the charts. Easily the best match I've ever seen live. Insanely stiff, perfectly executed and crowd going batshit. Watching live, absolutely flawless. It's on samurai in a week or so, so I won't spoil the content, safe to say that the capper was a ridiculous spot right before the finish.