DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2016 Edition

Kevin Wilson

How thin is NOAH's jr. heavyweight roster if they went right back to having Kanemaru challenging for the the belt after losing it to Kotoge?  

I still can't believe they gave Kanemaru a seventh run as champ AND he held the belt for seven months in 2016.  That dude must have some REALLY good blackmail shit on Jado if he's still getting title runs in 2016.

On 9/27/2016 at 2:52 PM, Thomas Bugg said:

So can someone recommend me any All Japan matches from the 70's, in particular Jumbo or Baba? But any one will do actually. I've only seen Baba in his late days when he's putting guys over- no disrespect towards him, but I'm pretty sure he didn't earn his legendary status from those days.

Jumbo vs. Billy Robinson 3/5/77 is an absolute must see.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Not sure if this has been a topic of discussion yet (I realize AJPW is pretty niche these days) but....who are we all speculating will be Jun Akiyama's partner in this year's Real World Tag League?? 

It's gotta be Taiyo Kea right? Or Mutoh? ...Akebono? 

Kea most likely

Translating whatever STRIGGA wrote in German over at purolove, seems accurate enough based on Japanese readers accounts.

" It was quite surprising at today's tuesday of the Japanese time announced that Pro Wrestling NOAH was sold to an IT company called Estbee. This company did not take over the promotion by chance, but the former president of All Japan Pro Wrestling, Masayuki Uchida, works in a high position for the company based in the east of Tokyo.

The sale of NOAH to Estbee had been carried out because responsible persons - above all Naomichi Marufuji wanted to meet their own "reconstruction measures" in the light of the worsening situation along with steadily decreasing number of viewers. In the course of this, the leaders first turned to the Chamber of Commerce of the Tokyo Prefecture, but were also looking for new sponsors. Finally, Naomichi Marufuji, designated by Tokyo Sports as the central figure of the sale, was able to establish a confidential contact with Masayuki Uchida. After Uchida was dismissed as president of All Japan in 2013, he left the pro wrestling and worked in an upscale position for Estbee.

In the course of this takeover, Masayuki Uchida is now the new NOAH president, while the former President Akira Taue will change into a consultancy function. Yosuke Fuwa, who is also Managing Director of Estbee, was appointed as the company's managing director. It is interesting that Marufuji, so far the vice president and contact person for Uchida, is not called as a member of the new leadership day. It remains to be seen what this means for Marufuji's future.

It is certain that all the wrestlers and co-workers have been taken over and that the shows announced up to 24.12. As planned. Uchida's plan is to generate new capital by the end of this year, with which Pro Wrestling NOAH can manage itself as an independent company under the umbrella of the new parent company.

Although the takeover of New Japan Pro Wrestling by Bushiroad in 2012 is only partly comparable to this takeover, the sale of NOAH at Estbee can be a crucial turning point in the history of the Ark, especially since Bushiroad no longer enters the business of NOH To be involved. As a result, it is also unclear whether this will affect the ongoing wrestling between New Japan and NOAH wrestlers. Clearly, only this sales pro wrestling NOAH should breathe new life.
"

So regarding the Suzuki-gun guys, I wonder if their contracts were transferred over to NOAH at some point, because they were working there exclusively for so long or if they remained contracted to NJPW the entire time. The feud was played out anyways, but without them their roster seems so thin.

If Bushi Road is completely out, I hope they at least open the doors to partnerships with other promotions like AJPW and Wrestle-1. That at least could lead to some good wrestling down the road.

1 hour ago, aricandover said:

The weird guy that owned All Japan was  Nobuo Shiraishi, who actually fired Uchida on his Facebook wall. 

Oh, okay, maybe it's not as bad then. When Shiraishi is main eventing against Marufuji, we'll know something is up.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2016 at 8:21 AM, The Z said:

So regarding the Suzuki-gun guys, I wonder if their contracts were transferred over to NOAH at some point, because they were working there exclusively for so long or if they remained contracted to NJPW the entire time. The feud was played out anyways, but without them their roster seems so thin.

If Bushi Road is completely out, I hope they at least open the doors to partnerships with other promotions like AJPW and Wrestle-1. That at least could lead to some good wrestling down the road.

Suzukigun, minus the guys like Iizuka and Desperado, are freelancers.