DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2016 Edition

Kevin Wilson

From here.

They were supposedly fan portraits but I'd like to think that SUGI himself made them in his spare time.

There was also another Japanese person (SUGI said it was through him that he got the idea and his contact that got the cannabis) involved but I don't know if anything happened to him at the time. He currently runs a company/makes wrestling gear for WWE and Japan wrestlers (most notably Rey Misterio Jr.)  but he was AAA's Japan rep or something like that.

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Why did Sugi have such beef to do something that shitty? Did Nosawa fuck his mom or something? That is seriously rotten. 

I am not sure what their relationship was, all I heard at the time was that Sugi was promised more (better?) bookings in AAA if he did this. I don't think he was the one personally that hated Nosawa or Io, but someone else convinced him to do it on their behalf. Still his responsibility of course and he was never booked in AAA again so needless to say it didn't work out well for him.

With WWE boring me silly lately (especially Raw) I finally signed back up for World and checked out the Naito title win over Okada.  Holy shit is Naito good.  I know this isn't news, even to me, but that cinched it.  Already happy I signed up again.

I'll be bouncing through a bunch of stuff tomorrow as I let scripts run in the background tomorrow for work, and I can't wait.

Naito vs. Omega from the end of the G-1 is absolutely worth a look.  Amazing match.  More recently, Naito vs. Elgin from just a few days ago was tremendous as well.  The Los Ingobernables six man tags all range from good to really great, especially since Naito is in a leadership role in those, and due to his bizarre antics, they're all pretty much off the rails.

Indeed, lots of top-notch Naito watching in your future.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Evil Otto said:

Naito vs. Omega from the end of the G-1 is absolutely worth a look.  Amazing match.  More recently, Naito vs. Elgin from just a few days ago was tremendous as well.  The Los Ingobernables six man tags all range from good to really great, especially since Naito is in a leadership role in those, and due to his bizarre antics, they're all pretty much off the rails.

Indeed, lots of top-notch Naito watching in your future.  

I love whenever they feature his matches on AXS TV, they way JR and Barnett deride his heel tactics.

So can someone recommend me any All Japan matches from the 70's, in particular Jumbo or Baba? But any one will do actually. I've only seen Baba in his late days when he's putting guys over- no disrespect towards him, but I'm pretty sure he didn't earn his legendary status from those days.

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

If you want to see prime Baba, watch his match with The Destroyer. One of the most highly regarded matches of that era  (that was taped). I haven't seen it in probably 10 years or so.

I like how they kept working the headscissors. God the Destroyer was such a great heel!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4uy9pn_マツコの知らない世界-160927-2_fun

Nothing important but just a short appearance of Okada, Ospreay and Roppongi Vice on a TBS variety show. The premise of the show is people talking with the host, Matsuko Deluxe, about different, sort of out of the mainstream topics. The girl - a Keio University student, not a talento - who speaks with her is a big wrestling fan and I think she says her father used to make wrestling mats. Interesting if only for the fact that it's wrestling just outside of golden time in Japan on TBS.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a long shot, but I'm trying to remember the date of a match. It was in NOAH sometime between 05-07, a tag match with Misawa and KENTA on opposite sides.  KENTA does some Kawada stuff and Misawa gets royally pissed. Anyone have a general idea?

"Passport trouble."

Matt Sydal arrested in Japan for possession of cannabis

According to the newspaper report, Sydal was charged with possessing a “hidden pipe containing liquid cannabis two and a pipe containing cannabis two of a state of being attached to the electronic cigarette”; slightly more than two grams in total.

Per PWInsider, Sydal (real name Matt Korklan) was convicted of the charges yesterday (Oct. 13), but has not been sentenced.

Japan is notoriously strict on cannibas possession. Although it likely means the end of his New Japan run, simply being barred from re-entering the country could be Sydal’s best case scenario. It’s not uncommon for those convicted of similar charges to be jailed for five - seven years.

What is worse is that in the last couple of years there has been a campaign by the government on synthetic marijuana as it was a "loophole drug" that was being sold in shops. They closed the loophole and renamed them Kiken Drugs (literally dangerous drugs). Conveniently for the government, before and after the renaming (there was a contest for the new name) there were deaths related to Kiken Drugs. Not people killed by the drugs but people killed by people on drugs.

Tokyo Reporter site is slightly NSFW: http://www.tokyoreporter.com/2016/10/16/osaka-customs-nab-pro-wrestler-matt-sydal-for-marijuana-possession/

OSAKA (TR) –  Osaka Prefectural Police and customs officials have arrested a 33-year-old American professional wrestler for the alleged importation of marijuana, reports the Sankei Shimbun (Oct. 14).

On September 22, Matt Korklan, who is known under the performing name Matt Sydal, allegedly arrived at Kansai International Airport carrying 2.12 grams of liquid marijuana inside a backpack. The liquid was contained in four tubes for an e-cigarette.

“Due to troubles at home and in life in general, I started smoking marijuana,” the suspect is quoted by Mainichi Broadcasting Service. “At a store, I was advised to start smoking due to the resulting high, and I continued so that my body would feel more agile.”

Korklan, who has been charged with violating the Marijuana Control Law, formerly appeared in the WWE Superstars under the name Evan Bourne. Prior to his arrest, he was to participate in a New Japan Pro Wrestling event in Kobe.

According to law enforcement, liquid marijuana is rare in Japan, with the arrest of Korklan being a first for the airport.

Korklan was prosecuted on October 13.

For people like me who obsessively follow AJPW: Jake Lee pinned Rikiya Fudo in a six-man today (or yesterday). One of his first "significant" wins and gives him some momentum going into the tag league with Miyahara. 

@RandomAct pretty sure that was Misawa/Ogawa vs Marufuji/KENTA for the tag titles in 2003. Unbelievable match that I recently revisited and has held up tremendously. Him and Marufuji also replicated the heel tactics from the classic 1995 Misawa/Kobashi vs Kawada/Taue match in their big 30-minute broadway classic with Morishima and Rikioh. All those NOAH tags from 2003-2005 seem to me the best stuff from anywhere in the world from that decade when I look back on them now. (with Kobashi/Honda vs Akiyama/Saito being the best of the bunch). 

• Like 1