DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2016 Edition

Kevin Wilson

Just finished the show. This didn't really feel like Super J Cup to me, more like Mediocre J Cup.

Just like the 2004 version, the non-tournament matches saved the show, Best match was the CMLL Six-Man Tag in my opinion, followed by the two Tag Title matches.

I was watching YOJIMBO for the eighth time and decided to google the actor who plays the giant thug swinging a huge hammer. Name's Tsunagoro Rashomon and apparently he's a pro wrestler. Plugging his name into google only gets a couple of results from 1955-56.

that is all.

• Like 2

rashomon.jpg

He was a sumo wrestler of Taiwanese descent. Didn't have a very distinguished sumo career. Looks like he found his second calling as an actor after a fairly short stint of pro wrestling. Can't find any results past 1956 but by then it looks like he was into the acting thing. When people see him in movies et al, apparently they mistake him for Baba (and vice versa). Seems to be still alive at the ripe age of 96.

• Like 2

I was just poking around and saw a lot of the cards have been updated through the next month: http://www.njpw.co.jp/english/match/index.php

From the NJPW World schedule, on the slate for this month so far is:

9/1 - Lion's Gate Project 3

9/12 - Road to DESTRUCTION (tour show)

9/17 - DESTRUCTION in TOKYO

9/22 - DESTRUCTION in HIROSHIMA (...)

9/25 - DESTRUCTION in KOBE

Just watched the YLG3 main event while skipping the rest (if there's anything good in there, chime in!) and another crazy NJPW/NOAH brawl with a match occasionally poking through. I never thought I'd be excited about him ever again, but Shiozaki's eventual one on one with Shibata should be insane (assuming he isn't dead from Shibata keeping him in a sleeper for like a minute). Also, clearly Nagata and Nakajima aren't through with each other yet, which is a good thing for hot matches and a bad thing for blood vessels and soft tissue.

And a scrappy and fun showing by Kiyomiya, who then had to die for NOAH's sins.

Watched the first few of Mike Bailey's matches in DDT and man, what a great fit.

I hope they keep him as a regular. It would be such a shame, if he turned into one of those guys you only remember every once in a while, just because of one stupid mistake he made,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

Thanks for the heads up. I need more Mike Bailey in my life so I'll be sure to check that out when I can.

Matches that have aired so far as far as I know:

08/06 - DNA19:  Kouki Iwasaki & Mike Bailey vs. Guanchulo & Shunma Katsumata (Haven't seen this one yet, but it's free on YouTube)
08/09 - Beer Garden Fight: Kota Umeda vs. Mike Bailey
08/11 - Beer Garden Fight: Special Interference Match: Danshoku Dino vs. Mike Bailey (those last two are part of the Beer Garden Fight compliation, both are clipped but fun)
08/28- Ryoguku Peter Pan 2016: Daisuke Sasaki & Tetsuya Endo vs. Dick Togo & Mike Bailey (definitely watch this one. This was DDT's biggest show of the year and probably my favorite match on the show)

• 2 weeks later...

I already know the answer to this, so I don't even know why I'm asking, but is anyone else watching the first day of Michinoku Pro's Fukumen World League?

I didn't even know this was happening, so I was delighted to see this pop up in the RealHero archive.

The most surprising thing so far was the return of Takuya Sugi. If you can trust Cagematch.com, which I do, this was his first match since 2014 and even that was his only match that year. He hasn't wrestled regularly since 2013. Does anyone know what happened to him? Why did he stop wrestling? Is this his full-time return to wrestling or is this just another one-time thing? He doesn't seem to have lost a single step. He's still exactly as fast as he was 10 years ago.

2 hours ago, The Z said:

I already know the answer to this, so I don't even know why I'm asking, but is anyone else watching the first day of Michinoku Pro's Fukumen World League?

I didn't even know this was happening, so I was delighted to see this pop up in the RealHero archive.

The most surprising thing so far was the return of Takuya Sugi. If you can trust Cagematch.com, which I do, this was his first match since 2014 and even that was his only match that year. He hasn't wrestled regularly since 2013. Does anyone know what happened to him? Why did he stop wrestling? Is this his full-time return to wrestling or is this just another one-time thing? He doesn't seem to have lost a single step. He's still exactly as fast as he was 10 years ago.

I don't actually think that was him in 2014 since it was a role others could have jumped into, but since it wasn't filmed we will never know for sure. I love cagematch and visit the site almost daily but I've found little mistakes here and there sometimes. But it is possible it was him, even though it was a weird match to have a one-off.

It was definitely him however in NOAH during the summer of 2013. In his last match he severely injured his ankle, so he went on the shelf (I had trouble at first believing it was him so I had to buy the events just to make sure. Certainly was.). All I had heard since then was that after he healed up, he had a real job and just quietly left wrestling. So nothing concrete, I figured he wasn't blackballed anymore since he had that NOAH tour and had just decided to stop wrestling. Hope he is back for good since I am one of his biggest fans from back in the day.

• Like 1

Yea that is what led to a lot of shit for Io since she was with Nosawa, for at least a few months anyway until Sugi confessed to doing it. Hell that is why we know Io's real name, from the reports about her being arrested, which normally wrestlers are a bit more hush-hush about. For some reason marijuana is a big no-no in Japan, just ask Arashi about that, so it was a much bigger deal than it may sound to Americans.

So yea while sometimes I find blackballing silly, he actually deserved it. But was back a year later anyway.

I was probably bothered more because Arisa Hoshiki's parents pulled her out of Stardom because of it.

39 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

So yea while sometimes I find blackballing silly, he actually deserved it. But was back a year later anyway.

I think even Arashi returned around a year or so later. Was Sugi ever arrested over his situation?

11 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I was probably bothered more because Arisa Hoshiki's parents pulled her out of Stardom because of it.

I think even Arashi returned around a year or so later. Was Sugi ever arrested over his situation?

I don't think so. I am not sure where he planted the drugs (if it was while still in Mexico or once they returned to Japan) so its possible he didn't do anything that could be prosecuted in Japan. But still a pretty shitty thing to do knowing how Japan feels about marijuana.

And Arashi kept wrestling but lost his All Japan gig permanently, he kinda ended up just wrestling in small promotions. Which is why I was surprised at the time that Sugi re-appeared in NOAH, not that they are what they once were but still seem like a bigger promotion than would want to use him.

I guess by blackballed I really mean from the larger promotions, anyone can find a small indy to use them but they won't really make much money.

I remember Arashi being banished from AJPW. I just also remember being surprised at how fast he came back to wrestling. Sugi never being prosecuted for a crime he admitted to committing surprises me, but what you said makes some sense.

10 hours ago, lostinube said:

I think Arashi benefited from having other vets willing to give him a chance like Fujinami with Dradtion and then later Tenryu.

If I recall correctly, Sugi put the drugs inside these portraits that someone (he?) gave to Nosawa and Io.

120524_nosawa.jpg

Ha yep that rings a bell, don't think I've ever seen that picture though.