DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2016 Edition

Kevin Wilson

If Hama leaving leads to more matches like this one, Giddyup: (8) BJW Tag Championship Match: [42nd Champions] “Twin Towers” Kohei Sato (ZERO1) & Shuji Ishikawa (FREE) vs. [Challengers] “SMOP” Akebono (Oudou) & Ryota Hama (FREE)

Card for the first day of the Super J Cup (from Purolove.com):

NJPW Produce "SUPER J-CUP 2016", 20.07.2016
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 1: Matt Sydal vs. Kaji Tomato
2. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 1: Gurukun Mask vs Kenou
3. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 1: Yuma Aoyagi vs Taichi
4. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 1: Jushin Thunder Liger vs Eita
5. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 1: Titan vs Will Ospreay
6. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 1: BUSHI vs Yoshinobu Kanemaru
7. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 1: Ryusuke Taguchi vs Daisuke Harada
8. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 1: KUSHIDA vs Taiji Ishimori

I don't know. This sounded way more interesting, when it was first announced. I'm glad they changed it from a One-Day event to a Two-Day event, but I wish there were more wrestlers from outside NJPW/NOAH in this.

As far as names out of the ether go, I had no clue Buffa was back in Zero-One after who knows how many years and is in the Fire Festival and won one of their belts 2 weeks ago. He's the former K-Pusha in ALL MONEY IS LEGAL. He's been around since last July showing how little I or most people pay attention to Zero 1.

Some of this (as always, with puro) is baffling. Kanemaru is still wrestling (much less even Liger)? Who is Eita? Who is KAJI TOMATO?!

I know, these questions will probably be easily answered by someone, but it's just... strange. Puro has gotten so subdivided and obscure that even I have a hard time keeping up. You Joshi cats, I really don't know how you do it.

Hey Joshi stuff is much easier to find these days. Now keeping up with all the wrestlers..... well I have a good memory ;)

Eita is an up and coming star in Dragon Gate, has a lot of buzz. Tomato is a long time wrestler in K-DOJO.

I'm happy to see Kenou in there, he deserves the spotlight.  Atsushi Aoki or Hikaru Sato would have been better picks from All Japan, but I'm guessing they want Yuma Aoyagi to get some attention, although he's still quite green.  The Titan-Ospreay match has a ton of potential on paper, and Kushida-Ishimori could be nuts.  

It's not a terrible line-up, but like I'm sure others will say, it's certainly a bit underwhelming.  I'm sure some matches will deliver, though.  

Eita and Kaji Tomato are actually pretty well known DG and indy guys as stated, Gurukun Mask on the other hand is not. He's an older random indy scrub formerly of Okinawa Pro who gets around.

23 hours ago, The Z said:

Card for the first day of the Super J Cup (from Purolove.com):

NJPW Produce "SUPER J-CUP 2016", 20.07.2016
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

1. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 1: Matt Sydal vs. Kaji Tomato

Should be a fun match, Tomato is underrated.
2. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 1: Gurukun Mask vs Kenou

I assume Kenou is just going to beat the shit out of him.
3. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 1: Yuma Aoyagi vs Taichi

I have no clue how this will be.
4. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 1: Jushin Thunder Liger vs Eita

This may surprise people and don't be shocked when Eita goes over.
5. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 1: Titan vs Will Ospreay

This could be absurd.
6. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 1: BUSHI vs Yoshinobu Kanemaru

Should be solid.
7. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 1: Ryusuke Taguchi vs Daisuke Harada

Should also be solid.
8. SUPER J-CUP 2016 - Round 1: KUSHIDA vs Taiji Ishimori
Should surprise people and be quite good. GURUKUN MASK FOR THE WIN!

• 2 weeks later...

So did anyone watch the Super J Cup?

Spoiler

Wow, like I feared, they eliminated every single wrestler from outside NJPW/NOAH in the first round. How lame. I thought the Super J Cup was about the best Jr. Heavyweights in Japan, not a New Japan circle jerk. I like Liger as much as everyone else, but does a 50 year old Liger really need to advance to Round 2 over Eita? Even with the NOAH wrestlers they made some awful decisions, advancing Taichi and Kanemaru, but eliminating Harada and Ishimori. You have to be kidding.

At least the matches themselves were all pretty good. KUSHIDA vs. Ishimori was MOTN, Osprey vs. Titan was a proper spotfest. Eita went all out against Liger.

Round 2 looks very uninspired. I expect the remaining three NOAH wrestlers to be eliminated in Round 2, so the semi-finals and finals will be exclusively New Japan guys.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Z said:

So did anyone watch the Super J Cup?

Hide contents

Wow, like I feared, they eliminated every single wrestler from outside NJPW/NOAH in the first round. How lame. I thought the Super J Cup was about the best Jr. Heavyweights in Japan, not a New Japan circle jerk. I like Liger as much as everyone else, but does a 50 year old Liger really need to advance to Round 2 over Eita? Even with the NOAH wrestlers they made some awful decisions, advancing Taichi and Kanemaru, but eliminating Harada and Ishimori. You have to be kidding.

At least the matches themselves were all pretty good. KUSHIDA vs. Ishimori was MOTN, Osprey vs. Titan was a proper spotfest. Eita went all out against Liger.

Round 2 looks very uninspired. I expect the remaining three NOAH wrestlers to be eliminated in Round 2, so the semi-finals and finals will be exclusively New Japan guys.

As someone who just subscribed to NJPW World I thought it was a fun show. After watching the first day of G-1 I was expecting them to respect outside wrestlers though.

• 4 weeks later...