DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2016 Edition

Kevin Wilson

4 minutes ago, The Z said:

He moved on to watching movies. You can find him on Letterboxd.

He inofficially broke the record for most movies watched in a year three years in a row.

Sounds like Punq to me :D. Hope PUNQ out how to make money off of his martyrdom someday. Watch horrible stuff + review it + _____ = profit.

Is there any explanation for Yoshitatsu's new HHH gimmick? He seems way above that and was on his path to the main event before NJPW forgot about him and WWE took him on. I would have brought him back and put him in the mix with the main eventers immediately.

I've been getting back into BJW this year after missing the last 2 years (pissed i missed the Sumo Hall show :( ) just wondering what's happened to Mens Teioh, Shadow WX and also did Yoshihito Sasaki & Shinya Ishikawa ever come back from their injuries?

20 minutes ago, Ultimo The Great said:

I've been getting back into BJW this year after missing the last 2 years (pissed i missed the Sumo Hall show :( ) just wondering what's happened to Mens Teioh, Shadow WX and also did Yoshihito Sasaki & Shinya Ishikawa ever come back from their injuries?

Sasaki - hasn't wrestled anywhere since the 2013 injury, so far as I'm aware.

Shinya Ishikawa - retired in 2014.  Maybe.  BJW announced his retirement ceremony, then canceled the ceremony, but I don't think Ishikawa wrestled anywhere after that,

Shadow WX - dropped by BJW.  Cagematch and various other sources don't list any appearances by him in the past several years.

Men's Teioh - still active.  He wrestled for BJW a fair number of times in 2015, though I don't know that he's been on a 2016  BJW card.  Also makes appearances in K-Dojo and DDT.

• Like 1

Decided to dive into this year’s AJPW Champion Carnival and do a couple binge watches of about fifteen matches. A few random thoughts and recommended matches.

Is Kengo Mashimo the best he’s ever been at 37 years old? It was a treat to watch him against a bunch of different opponents in singles matches. So charismatic, such a great bully, and still so explosive with his submissions. Jun Akiyama has enough left in the tank to play his current role effectively. The way he sold his knee against Mashimo was classic Akiyama. I can see why they’re getting behind Kento Miyahara. Good look, athletic, seems to be progressing well and I generally enjoyed what I saw out of him. I didn’t love Daisuke Sekimoto in this setting but I did have fun watching the Zeus match because it was two big dudes excessively beating the hell out of each other. Super Tiger was very hit or miss. Naoya Nomura has some serious potential! Still raw but if he continues to improve at this rate, they’ve got something with him. Jake Lee sold a lot and sold well. Zeus keeps growing on me as a destructive meathead. Bodyguard on his own can be a rough watch.

Overall, there weren’t a ton of ****+ matches but I found it all very easy to get through and I wound up going back and watching more matches. The crowds mostly suck but you get used to it.

Recommended matches
Kengo Mashimo vs. Kento Miyahara (4/9)
Jun Akiyama vs. Kengo Mashimo (4/18)
Takao Omori vs. Zeus (4/16)
Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Kengo Mashimo (4/22)
Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Zeus (4/24)
Jun Akiyama vs. Naoya Nomura (4/23)
Kento Miyahara vs. Super Tiger (4/18)
Jun Akiyama vs. Kento Miyahara (4/17)

Up next, I’m going through a bunch of 2016 Wrestle-1.

• Like 2

RE: Yoshihito Sasaki, he was released from his BJW contract in January 2015 if that means anything. Apparently, his recovery had a lot of setbacks. Who knows, he may still be having issues with his knee.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2016 at 6:28 PM, rzombie1988 said:

How does everyone keep up with puro these days? XWT doesn't upload everything anymore and Jahmale seems mostly done. I see stuff about Joshi groups but I don't know which one they mean.

Jahmale still uploads everything, It now gets uploaded on veoh and rutube, two services I don't like but that is just where we are at now. I get Joshi from a separate dealer for $1.50 a disk which is in my price range, plus I subscribe to Samurai TV. Joshi Group is http://www.facebook.com/groups/1647081278837431/

23 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Jahmale still uploads everything, It now gets uploaded on veoh and rutube, two services I don't like but that is just where we are at now. I get Joshi from a separate dealer for $1.50 a disk which is in my price range, plus I subscribe to Samurai TV. Joshi Group is http://www.facebook.com/groups/1647081278837431/

How do you subscribe to Samurai TV?

18 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I think its the "Fighting TV" one, it just doesn't have the proper name.

Oh my God! Thank you so much. I am watching Samurai TV in USA. Dream come true.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, rzombie1988 said:

So how does it work? Is there just a tv channel listing and and you pick what you want?

The sample list of channels does not list Samurai TV, however I signed up for the one week trial. The actual list of channels has Kanto, Kansai, BS and CS channels. Samurai is one of the CS channels. J-Sports, GAORA and BS-Asahi, Nitere are there too. Lots of wrestling to find.

1 hour ago, rzombie1988 said:

So how does it work? Is there just a tv channel listing and and you pick what you want?

You pick the channel, then you can either watch live or it saves everything from the seven days prior. Once it falls off the 7th day, you can't watch it anymore, so its like a one week DVR.