DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2016 Edition

Kevin Wilson

Maybe this Akebono promotion isn't such a big thing after all?

Here's the card so far for the first show thanks to Purolove:

Royal Road "THE BEGINNING", 20.04.2016
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

-. Yuto Aijima & Kazushi Miyamoto vs. TARU & Voodoo Mask
-. AAA/Lucha Undergound Offer Match: X vs. X
-. Akebono, Ryota Hama w1.jpg & Taiyo Kea vs. Masato Tanaka zero1.jpg, Yuj Okabayashi bjw.jpg & Daisuke Sekimoto bjw.jpg

Other participants: NOSAWA Rongai, MAZADA, Daichi Hashimoto bjw.jpg, Masao Inoue

I would have replaced Kea with with Yutaka Yoshie in the main event, so we had a clear theme of fat guys vs. stiff guys, otherwise this looks good. I hope they get someone good for the LU Offer match. Also a rare Kazushi Miyamoto sighting.

What happened to Kazuki Hashimoto and how long is he out?  I just watched the Strong Climb announcement video and I was wondering how exactly was in it and I read that Shinobu is in because Kazuki Hashimoto was injured.

What happened to Kazuki Hashimoto and how long is he out?  I just watched the Strong Climb announcement video and I was wondering how exactly was in it and I read that Shinobu is in because Kazuki Hashimoto was injured.

He fractured his forearm sometime in February. He had surgery last week but no time table as to his return.

• Like 1

He fractured his forearm sometime in February. He had surgery last week but no time table as to his return.

Thanks hoss.

And the Royal Road main event looks awesome.

Ryukyu Dargon Pro too, dunno who you'd get from there though.

Who do they have? Is that the follow-up promotion to Okinawa Pro? While looking through their cards, I saw Billy Ken Kid on some of them. I love Billy Ken Kid.

I'm surprised to see Dragon Gate in there. I know they also took part in previous versions of the Super J Cup, but they are usually so secluded I'm always surprised to see any of their wrestlers outside of Dragon Gate. I'm also surprised DDT is not on the list.

Holy shit, New Japan just announced Super J Cup 2016 with participants from NOAH, ROH, CMLL, Dragon Gate, Kaientai Dojo and Zero1.

Any idea when?  Between this and the WWE Cruiserweight Open, hopefully we get a resurgence of Jr. wrestling. 

• Like 1

Who do they have? Is that the follow-up promotion to Okinawa Pro? While looking through their cards, I saw Billy Ken Kid on some of them. I love Billy Ken Kid.

No idea really, their stuff doesn't hit youtube much. That Dingo Dog guy? Billy Ken Kid would be good.

Holy shit, New Japan just announced Super J Cup 2016 with participants from NOAH, ROH, CMLL, Dragon Gate, Kaientai Dojo and Zero1.

Any idea when?  Between this and the WWE Cruiserweight Open, hopefully we get a resurgence of Jr. wrestling. 

August 21st. The whole thing seems to happen in a single day.

I think it's possible this event even happening at all is just New Japan's reaction to the Global Cruiserweight Series. I think they are pissed.

They made several other big announcements today. Michael Elgin signed a two-year deal, which was previously rumored. Katsuyori Shibata signed a one-year contract (honestly didn't even know he wasn't under contract, yet). Will Ospreay will challenge Kushida for the Jr. Heavyweight title in April.

And they announced that Will Ospreay is the newest member of CHAOS.  While it seems weird putting a British guy in the group, more of him in New Japan can't be bad ever

And they announced that Will Ospreay is the newest member of CHAOS.  While it seems weird putting a British guy in the group, more of him in New Japan can't be bad ever

CHAOS has always had gaijin talent, FWIW. Romero's been a member the entire time.

I'm surprised to see Dragon Gate in there. I know they also took part in previous versions of the Super J Cup, but they are usually so secluded I'm always surprised to see any of their wrestlers outside of Dragon Gate. I'm also surprised DDT is not on the list.

Billy Ken Kid is everywhere. Cagematch says he's worked for Ryukyu, AJPW, BJW, KAGEKI, Dotonbori and Kyushu Pro just this year alone.

Ryukyu is a follow-up to Okinawa Pro led by Gurukun Mask (formerly Gurukun Diver).

I think it's possible this event even happening at all is just New Japan's reaction to the Global Cruiserweight Series. I think they are pissed.

They made several other big announcements today. Michael Elgin signed a two-year deal, which was previously rumored. Katsuyori Shibata signed a one-year contract (honestly didn't even know he wasn't under contract, yet). Will Ospreay will challenge Kushida for the Jr. Heavyweight title in April.

You're probably right.  Although it's been brewing for the past couple of years, I think we're finally seeing healthy competition among wrestling promotions again, and it's great.  Neither New Japan nor the WWE can rest on their laurels anymore, and the surprise of seeing highly-regarded names suddenly pop up and wrestlers having legitimate leverage with their contracts hopefully means we're moving into a much more dynamic period.  It's kind of history repeating itself, but I'm not complaining.  

I don't think they are pissed, doubt they care on that level as it takes nothing away from them, but it may have encouraged them to do one themselves. It was overdue anyway and seems like it has been mentioned in passing by a wrestler here and there the last few years. Should be fun, I enjoy single elimination tournaments.

You're probably right.  Although it's been brewing for the past couple of years, I think we're finally seeing healthy competition among wrestling promotions again, and it's great.  Neither New Japan nor the WWE can rest on their laurels anymore, and the surprise of seeing highly-regarded names suddenly pop up and wrestlers having legitimate leverage with their contracts hopefully means we're moving into a much more dynamic period.  It's kind of history repeating itself, but I'm not complaining.  

I would be surprised if Barrett doesn't get a NJ offer. I'm no expert on NJ, but I assume he would be a top of the card type addition?