DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2016 Edition

Kevin Wilson

For a tour and when AJPW still fails to draw, it'll hot shot to someone else to try to catch fire.

seems to me their gonna build around Kento,Jake lee, Nomura and Aoygi as longterm big players, if they can survive. Dont see any hotshotting happening here.

Exactly. I'm not sure where they got this hot shot deal from. Go quit, so they put it on Akiyama until the contract situation eased. It's clear the plan was for Miyahara to take it off of Suwama but his achilles snapped. Miyahara's win ideally should have been at Sumo Hall and honestly they should have just left the belt vacant or put it up in this year's TC, but whatever. I guess Akiyama promised a TC match on 2/12, so we got one regardless to who was in the main event.

• Like 1

Sooo...spoilers:

Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows said goodbye, Tama Tonga (after losing the Never Championship already) challenged Honma & Makabe with a partner yet to be revealed.

KUSHIDA retained his title and Kenny Omega beat Tanahashi in the Main Event to become the new IC Champion!

Sooo...spoilers:

Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows said goodbye, Tama Tonga (after losing the Never Championship already) challenged Honma & Makabe with a partner yet to be revealed.

KUSHIDA retained his title and Kenny Omega beat Tanahashi in the Main Event to become the new IC Champion!

I thought Karl Anderson said he was never going to WWE? LOL

Sooo...spoilers:

Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows said goodbye, Tama Tonga (after losing the Never Championship already) challenged Honma & Makabe with a partner yet to be revealed!

Please be his dad... please be his dad.... please be his dad...

That or uncle Barbarian.

So, the NJPW/ROH Shows will include the following cards:

Night 1

Tag Team Match:
Jushin "Thunder" Liger & Matt Sydal vs Dalton Castle & Ryusuke Taguchi

Singles Match:
Delirious vs. Gedo

Singles Match:
Frankie Kazarian vs. KUSHIDA

8 Man Tag Team Match:
Tomoaki Honma, Hiroshi Tanahashi, Moose & Michael Elgin vs. BULLET CLUB (Cody Hall, Yujiro Takahashi, Tama Tonga & Bad Luck Fale)

6 Man Tag Team Match:
Katsuyori Shibata & reDRagon (Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly) vs The Elite (The Young Bucks (Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson) & Kenny Omega)

Tag Team Match:
The Briscoes (Mark Briscoe & Jay Briscoe) vs BULLET CLUB (Doc Gallows & Karl Anderson)

Tag Team Match:
Tetsuya Naito & Jay Lethal vs CHAOS (YOSHI-HASHI & Kazuchika Okada)

ROH World Television Championship:

Roderick Strong © vs Tomohiro Ishii

Night 2

Singles Match:
David Finlay vs Jay White

Tag Team Match:
Jushin "Thunder" Liger & Matt Sydal vs Gedo & Delirious

Singles Match:
Dalton Castle vs Frankie Kazarian

8 Man Tag Team Match:
Meiyu Tag (Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata) & reDRagon (Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly) vs BULLET CLUB (Tama Tonga, Bad Luck Fale, Doc Gallows & Karl Anderson)

Tag Team Match:
KUSHIDA & Moose vs Los Ingobernables (Tetsuya Naito & BUSHI)

6 Man Tag Team Match:
Hiroshi Tanahashi, Michael Elgin & Roderick Strong vs CHAOS (YOSHI-HASHI, Tomohiro Ishii & Kazuchika Okada)

NEVER Openweight 6-Man Tag Team Championship:

Toru Yano & The Briscoes © vs The Elite (Kenny Omega & The Young Bucks (Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson))

ROH World Championship:

Jay Lethal © vs Tomoaki Honma

So, the NJPW/ROH Shows will include the following cards:

Night 1

Tag Team Match:

Jushin "Thunder" Liger & Matt Sydal vs Dalton Castle & Ryusuke Taguchi

ie: the only match I care about

So Strong/Ishii is for the title?

And no talk about how ridiculously good Tanahashi/Omega was? Second-best match of the year, below Tanahashi/Okada from Wrestle Kingdom. Too much interference? Yeah, but it served a purpose.

And I was thinking the new member of Bullet Club could be Will Ospreay. Or is he gonna have to spend some time beating Captain New Japan in tag matches before he gets "elevated" into being Tama Tonga's partner?

And how brute-force, unreal strong is Michael Elgin? I'm shocked he's not in WWE - he looks like a guy Vince would love.

And no talk about how ridiculously good Tanahashi/Omega was? Second-best match of the year, below Tanahashi/Okada from Wrestle Kingdom. Too much interference? Yeah, but it served a purpose.

I have a feeling lots of people will be talking about that match once they finally see it.  You knew there would be interference from the start, but they weaved it into the match so creatively it didn't become the focal point.  No one in the crowd was disappointed after that match, that's for sure.  Both Tanahashi and Omega played their roles perfectly.  

Omega became a main event star on the first try.  It was quite an amazing performance to behold.  

It somehow strengthened Omega as the heel leader of the Bullet Club while keeping Tanahashi just as strong. Match had three logical "acts," which is what makes it better than Nakamura-Styles from Wrestle Kingdom to me.

Wonder if they'll try to bring Kushida up the ladder a bit? He certainly seems to be popular.

Yes. I think Seth has better babyface charisma than heel, though he did okay in the role of chickenshit heel personality. It's just his in-ring style didn't consistently match the character he was playing. Omega plays slimy bastard really well. His mic work needs improvement to be sure, he still sounds too scripted and not natural enough. His physical charisma, though, is off the damned charts.

After Day 1 of the NJPW/ROH "Honor Rising" 2 day event:

So, ISHII~! just now beat Roderick Strong and is the new ROH TV Champion! So I think his match against Goto at the ROH 14th Anniversary PPV is now a title match!

Full results:

Matt Sydal & Jushin Thunder Liger defeat Dalton Castle & Ryusuke Taguchi via Shooting Star Press

Delirious defeats Gedo via roll-up

KUSHIDA defeats Frankie Kazarian via submission

Michael Elgin, Moose, Hiroshi Tanahashi & Tomoaki Honma defeat Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Tama Tonga, Yujiro Takahashi & Cody Hall) via Spear

Bullet Club (Kenny Omega, Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson) defeat reDRagon (Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly) & Katsuyori Shibata via One Winged Angel

The Briscoes (Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe) defeat Bullet Club (Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows) via Froggy Bow

Jay Lethal & Tetsuya Naito defeat CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI) per Lethal Injection

ROH World TV Championship
Tomohiro Ishii defeats Roderick Strong © via Brainbuster --> NEW CHAMPION