DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2016 Edition

Kevin Wilson

AJ already had the IWGP title and has lost to the big three. There wasn't much else for him to do.

Isn't Anderson one of the last notable wrestlers of the past ten years or so who hasn't wrestled for TNA or the WWE?

At the very least, this should spell the end of the Bullet Club. There's no one at AJ's level who is available now, right?

With Yano teaming with the Briscoes and Nakamura going, isn't time to get rid of the CHAOS label too?

I guess if you like Los Ingobernables, Shibata, Ishii and Goto, 2016 will be as good a chance as they'll get.

• Like 1

If the rumors are true, the only one that really matters is Nakamura. I never expected Styles to stay long term, and Anderson/Gallows were mostly doing comedy mid-card tag matches in 2015. If it forces New Japan to freshen things up a bit, I'm all for it.

• Like 3

The news hasn't really hit the Japanese side of the internet yet (aside from sites reporting about what the Observer et al are saying). So the main result when you google 新日本プロレス under news is about the Doraemon thing with Yoshio Kojima.

As I've mentioned in the other thread-Kevin gave me the ok so I started the puro MOTY threads for 2016.

Firstly-I'd implore everyone who watched WK and loved it to nominate the matches they did in the New Japan thread so we can at least try to revitalize this thing for a bit before everyone forgets about it.

Secondly-does anyone remember what time limit Ditch used for the "shorties" thread?

As I've mentioned in the other thread-Kevin gave me the ok so I started the puro MOTY threads for 2016.

Firstly-I'd implore everyone who watched WK and loved it to nominate the matches they did in the New Japan thread so we can at least try to revitalize this thing for a bit before everyone forgets about it.

Secondly-does anyone remember what time limit Ditch used for the "shorties" thread?

Pretty sure it was ten minutes.

it's getting tiring for me

giant bernard made into a superstar - bye

prince devitt - ok bye

machine gun and another dude who already got booted before - later

non-WWE king of US wrestling brought to replace devitt as BC leader and blossomed into top gaijin main eventer - ok see you have fun on midcards at full sail university as JJ Myles

next thing fucking HHH will sign Ishii and have him work lighting at house shows

it's like fuck you Imma take all your favorite shit and make it suck

will Nakamura drop the IC title or just vacate it? they should have him get pinned clean by Ishii and make him the new IC guy now that hes dropped the NEVER strap. 

Kenny Omega has already challenged Nakamura for the title and I'm sure he'll drop it to him.

The next major show, where it could happen is in February, though and according to Tokyo Sports Nakamura's contract ends this month.

I'm sure they can work something out, though. Unlike Alberto del Rio, I'm sure Nakamura isn't a complete and utter asshole, who will just leave with the belt.

Oh right good point. Think anybody else will leave since the contracts are up this month? I can't imagine the temptation to freelance is as big as it used to be. Nagata does a lot of freelancing compared to the rest of the roster, I keep expecting him to formally leave the company and either go full-time freelance or start his own weird promotion. 

What's the deal with Goto? It seemed like he was being set up to be one of the next top guys in 2009-11 and then they just...didn't pull the trigger. He's at Wrestle Kingdom teaming with Nak against Misawa and he's clearly coming off as the star as the team. Big solo matches in the next few years at WK. What made NJPW halt his ascension? 

Goto went on his excursion, came back and had that boss match with Tanahashi and then he just got tournament win after tournament win. Its a damn shame he never did anything to really standout to make it worthwhile to put the belt on him

James

I am a big fan of Goto, I think it was more the crowd reacted more to Okada and Nakamura so they went with it. I don't think he is necessarily out of the title picture forever though, especially not now if Nakamura leaves, but he may be better suited to making the tag titles mean something again.

I'm not arguing that. I'm asking why it seemed like he was going to be the next heavyweight star and then got leapfrogged by Okada/Nakamura/maybe Naito and never progressed again. 

They had to rebuild the company around Tanahashi and Nakamura so pushing them properly and hard came first.

Mutoh got a title reign because he's Mutoh.

They brought in Kojima when he was All Japan's top guy so they gave him the belt when he came in before using him to put over Tanahashi.

Makabe is/was New Japan's biggest crossover star and got insanely over.

They were dead set on pushing Okada once he came back from an excursion.

AJ was set free from TNA and they went all in with him.

If Mutoh wasn't willing to come in, Kojima didn't quit All Japan and AJ stayed in TNA then Goto would've probably had a title reign by now. Though it should be noted that in the past couple of years they have been way more interested in pushing Naito and Devitt (jhad he not left).