DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2016 Edition

Kevin Wilson

SPOILERS below from today's big AJPW show: 

Anyone else think Akiyama should just get his late-career giant 18 month title run with the Triple Crown the same way Misawa, Kawada and Kobashi all did? He's never held a top title for more than a handful of months, and there's nobody else they really NEED to be pushing right now. Even if Miyahara isn't ready in 2 years he could still drop it to Suwama and then Suwama could put over Miyahara or Jake Lee or whoever's the man of the hour by the time. Jun is still in great shape and capable of really solid main events, and he works well with a wide variety of opponents. Looking forward to seeing him defend against Doering, Zeus and maybe Hino now that he's a freelancer.  

Would they even have enough challengers to last him this long without having to face the same guys over and over again?

My solution would be, since their attendance numbers don't change much for a TC defense anyway, to just not have TC matches as often. If they have a challenge every three or four months they could stretch it out, plus one re-match isn't uncommon on longer reigns. Course if it was every six weeks or so that would be an issue.

back in the 90s AJPW wasn't opposed to doing repeat challengers. I'm pretty sure Misawa, Kawada, Hansen, Kobashi, Taue and Dr Death all habitually got an extra shot or two, depending on the reign and the length. I was actually going to remark that they could run Suwama vs Akiyama twice with Akiyama winning and then a third time with Suwama winning the belt and it wouldn't even feel *that* repetitive to me. But then I'm a huge mark for both guys. 

Even barring multiple title shots you have Doering, Zeus, Suwama, Miyahara, Omori, Kea if he's healthy, a novelty defense against a junior like Aoki, Kanemaru or Suzuki, outsiders like Hino or Shuji Ishikawa, maybe even KENSO if you could build him up as a potential fluke transitional champ, SUSHI could unmask as Akira Raijin or KYOSHI and get a push for a few months....there are options here, people. Hell you could run Akiyama vs Fuchi as Fuchi's first and last TC shot and at least you'd have a sympathetic crowd of old school AJPW buffs. 

• Like 1

I think it's a cervical disc too, so worse than like a lower back one. Not really surprising if you've ever seen him bump at any point in the past 12 years.

I always heard that Akiyama never liked holding the big belt, that being the reason for his unexpected title drops to  Junior Heavyweights Ratboy and Marufuji in NOAH. The length of those title reigns doesn't really support the theory, but anybody who drops a heavyweight under those circumstances while essentially holding the book? I know there's more to the story.

got news from Enuhito today apparently, Go Shiozaki is going to NOAH show at Korakuen on November, 20. i don't know what he doing there since

Marufuji is #1 Contender for GHC Heavyweight Championship and facing Minoru Suzuki in December

i'm not sure he want a title shot

got news from Enuhito today apparently, Go Shiozaki is going to NOAH show at Korakuen on November, 20. i don't know what he doing there since

Marufuji is #1 Contender for GHC Heavyweight Championship and facing Minoru Suzuki in December

i'm not sure he want a title shot

Meltzer tweeted that he signed with NOAH.  I hoped that he would sign with New Japan, but who knows with their working agreement.

After Marufuji fails, again, he can be Suzuki's next challenger who will also fail and the title reign will finally end when he drops it to Harry Boy Smith for no reason.

Apparently there's some heat between Marufuji and Shiozaki. Marufuji said in an interview, if Shiozaki comes back he'll leave.

i think it's true if that happen

and Kotaro Suzuki leave from AJPW and vacating his Jr. HVT title.. i guess, he will following Shiozaki after that

Source : https://www.all-japan.co.jp/archives/news/%E9%88%B4%E6%9C%A8%E9%BC%93%E5%A4%AA%E9%83%8E%E9%81%B8%E6%89%8B%E9%80%80%E5%9B%A3%E3%81%AB%E3%81%A4%E3%81%84%E3%81%A6/

I can base this on my English speaking, viewing from afar, non-informed, observations, but isn't Marufuji one of those guys that New Japan inexplicably loves?  Any time I've seen him wrestle in New Japan, he's seemingly been put over higher than any other outisder I remember.  I'd probably rather have Shiozaki in New Japan, because I think he's a better wrestler, but Marufuji would probably be really good in New Japan.  They need some fresh matches, and for better or worse Marufuji wrestles a fairly unique style.  It could be fun to see how he could shake things up going into next year.

I'll assume its an angle until its proven otherwise (Marufuji leaving because Go comes back). Poor All Japan, it must be an epic mess behind the scenes right now, what is odd is that this is a slow but still major exodus instead of the usual mass exodus we see in Japan sometimes. If Suwama for any reason decides to leave ever they may as well just close up shop.

• Like 1

Are there any major talents right now who are publicly unhappy/have contracts expiring soon that in theory AJPW could snap up? I feel like if they had that one Big Name to lend credibility to the promotion and feud with Suwama for a year or two it would at least buy them some time. Nakamura would be my impossible dream, not that he would ever leave NJPW.

I think the key would be to find someone interested in promoting as well as competing. Mutoh jumping in 2001 was clearly, in hindsight, because he wanted his own company and not because he wanted to save All Japan. There's a whole generation of younger guys who weren't part of the whole "top names books his own card" mentality the way Mutoh, Chono, Misawa and Hashimoto were. Maybe guys like Nakamura and Tanahashi will start developing the itch to be running their own show. If they did, AJPW is ripe for the usurping. 

Don't read German, but purolove has a longer piece on All Japan up right now. Upshot seems to be that AJ is only paying on a per-performance schedule, with no guaranteed monthly income, which a lot of wrestlers can't survive on. Shiozaki, Kenso, Akebono, and Suzuki have all left the company in recent months.

Don't read German, but purolove has a longer piece on All Japan up right now. Upshot seems to be that AJ is only paying on a per-performance schedule, with no guaranteed monthly income, which a lot of wrestlers can't survive on. Shiozaki, Kenso, Akebono, and Suzuki have all left the company in recent months.

Here's the article run through Google translator. A lot of undecipherable Engrish, of course, but the main points are clear.  Besides cutting off monthly guarantees, AJ will probably cut back on the number of shows they run.  So, yeah, not much money to be made there if you're being paid per appearance.

All Japan: Promotion in serious trouble (of STRIGGA on 11/18/2015)

Only at the beginning of the week, we reported that Kotaro Suzuki will dissolve its agreement with All Japan Pro Wrestling 1 December. He is after KENSO, Go Shiozaki and Akebono the fourth renowned wrestler who ended his contract with the promotion founded 1972nd

While the signs at Suzuki Been clearly, so giving an interview from All Japan president June Akiyama in Tokyo Sports new insights into the relationships that led to these disposals. Kotaro Suzuki said in his press conference last Monday of two amendments to the contract since July, which were the reason why he left All Japan. Akiyama was in the mentioned interview now that the disposals of Shiozaki and Akebono were made due to changes in their contracts. This contract modifications can only have harmed Wrestler, because otherwise would Shiozaku and Suzuki little reason All Japan to turn their backs after they found there, together with her boyfriend in June Akiyama early 2013 a new job.

Another detail, which is called Akiyama in this interview, tells you, what about the promotion as a whole. Akiyama confirmed to demand the newspaper that there are no fixed contracts that guarantee a fixed monthly payment more. The wrestlers are now paid exclusively per appearance. Akiyama spoke very openly about how dependent the wrestlers because it ceases a guaranteed income from a tight tour schedule, as they otherwise do not make enough money. Therefore, have the management to him the responsibility to provide enough dates.

Right here but nothing beyond doing another problem, since the end of last week published All Japan Pro Wrestling, although four appointments for January, but. Akiyama commented that he did not know if you can keep the usual busy schedule from February upright. All Japan held last year 94 shows and will come at the end of this year to 104 events. Has the promotion, however there is not enough money available to host about 100 annual shows, at the same time paying the wrestler will be lower. Especially for wrestlers like Akebono and Shiozaki, who to support a family, this was probably too high a risk.

An additional difficulty the current economic situation in Japan, because Japan is officially located since Monday in a review, after the revolutionary economic policies of Prime Minister Abe Shizo was regarded as a failure. Thus a further shrinking of the once biggest promotion of Japan appears down to the level of a league like Pro Wrestling ZERO1 who hold almost exclusively in the Greater Tokyo, increasingly likely.

Marufuji is like the NOAH president or something, why would he leave? He'd have say on Go coming back in to begin with.

He'd have say but not ultimate say, the most he would have is a solid way to express his opinion since he is on the board. But owners can always overrule presidents :) I still think its work anyway, I mean its wrestling.

So Shiozaki was indeed at the NOAH show today, held a promo and was invited to join Suzuki-gun. Marufuji was also on the show.

It was also announced that Zack Sabre Jr. had his last match for the promotion. I wonder what that means.

Zack doesn't look like the type to go to NXT. With his build he pretty much can't get any bigger and they have little use for guys like that, so maybe he's going to NJPW?