DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2016 Edition

Kevin Wilson

The thing is All Japan doesn't have debt and actually has tons of sponsors. It's how they signed and kept Akebono.

"Sponsors" = Yakuza money marks.

It also probably explains why they put the Triple Crown back on Akebono after he drew flies during his first title reign and couldn't work a 2*** match if his life depended on it.  Akebono's Yakuza fanboys probably grabbed Akiyama by the hand and threatened to cut his fingers off if he didn't put the belt back on the Lard Warrior.

So, I don't know if this is the appropriate place to ask, but I also don't know where else to ask- what happened to the YES/NO folders? Was there an official decision to kill them, or did participation just die off? It wasn't the most thorough system but I always found them helpful.

Participation just died off. It was Ditch's baby so I don't know if he had stuck around if it would have thrived, but it was already on the downswing. A few active posters that really got into it stopped posting as much and it was never my thing so I didn't push it. We re-started it last year but as you can see only a few people ever posted anything. I guess people just migrated elsewhere.

Whatever happened to Ditch anyway? Seems he just vanished.

He has wanted a job in politics for many years, last I heard he had finally gotten a one he was excite about. So possible if he works in government he either doesn't have time for it, or he just lost interest. But as far as I know he is still alive and happy.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned anywhere on this board, but perusing their site, Watanabe appears to be going by "King of Darkness" EVIL as his new ring name. Naito with the name I guess. It's too bad HATE had to have all the health issues he has. We could have had a battle of EVIL vs HATE to see which wins out.

943.jpg

Leading up to the Suwama vs. Fujita tag at Tenryu's Retirement show will be a pretty big tag at All Japan's show on 11/1. They're running Suwama & Hikaru Sato vs. Masakatsu Funaki & Kendo Kashin. It will be Funaki's first match since leaving for W1 in June of 2014, and apparently Fujita's going to be coming to the ring with Funaki and Kashin.

• Like 1

Seems like he's off until at least next week. He even canceled some book signing events. We'll just have to wait and see. It is the beginning of the flu season in Japan though so that could be it. Kind of like Makabe getting sick at the beginning of the year. Japan tends to not want people (or students) going in if they have the flu, if only to reduce the spread.

• Like 1

Hay fever is a bitch here. Post-war they planted lots of trees that produce pollen (cypress I think) and over the years the need to cut down those trees for building material lessened and the trees just kept growing and producing pollen. Medicine reduces my need for a mask but I still need something to protect my eyes during hay fever season.

SPOILERS below from today's big AJPW show: 

Anyone else think Akiyama should just get his late-career giant 18 month title run with the Triple Crown the same way Misawa, Kawada and Kobashi all did? He's never held a top title for more than a handful of months, and there's nobody else they really NEED to be pushing right now. Even if Miyahara isn't ready in 2 years he could still drop it to Suwama and then Suwama could put over Miyahara or Jake Lee or whoever's the man of the hour by the time. Jun is still in great shape and capable of really solid main events, and he works well with a wide variety of opponents. Looking forward to seeing him defend against Doering, Zeus and maybe Hino now that he's a freelancer.  

Any news on Ibushi? He's been pulled from the next DDT tour due to "poor physical condition" and he was pulled from his KO-D Title match because he had fever.

Seems like he's off until at least next week. He even canceled some book signing events. We'll just have to wait and see. It is the beginning of the flu season in Japan though so that could be it. Kind of like Makabe getting sick at the beginning of the year. Japan tends to not want people (or students) going in if they have the flu, if only to reduce the spread.

Kota Ibushi's out indefinitely with a herniated disc:

http://www.f4wonline.com/japan/kota-ibushi-out-action-indefinitely-due-injury-200821

Bad injury that.

SPOILERS below from today's big AJPW show: 

Anyone else think Akiyama should just get his late-career giant 18 month title run with the Triple Crown the same way Misawa, Kawada and Kobashi all did? He's never held a top title for more than a handful of months, and there's nobody else they really NEED to be pushing right now. Even if Miyahara isn't ready in 2 years he could still drop it to Suwama and then Suwama could put over Miyahara or Jake Lee or whoever's the man of the hour by the time. Jun is still in great shape and capable of really solid main events, and he works well with a wide variety of opponents. Looking forward to seeing him defend against Doering, Zeus and maybe Hino now that he's a freelancer.  

Would they even have enough challengers to last him this long without having to face the same guys over and over again?