DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2016 Edition

Kevin Wilson

Well that sucks. Partially because The Z is probably right. Or at least I suspect that he'll end up as more of a "floater" than a go-to freelancer like Suzuki or Takayama. While AJ is no great shakes, at least you can build a personality and a spot on the card.

I wonder, given that this has apparently been a long time coming, how this relates to Go's fairly truncated title reigns.

• Like 1

It would be cool if he went to BJW for awhile and worked against Sekimoto and Okabayashi. Could give their Strong Style title some big league cred. 

Edit: I didn't realize KENSO left too. Hasn't AJPW always been pretty good to that guy? I don't see him being in demand for freelance bookings the way Go is. Hopefully Suwama stays at least. 

It would be cool if he went to BJW for awhile and worked against Sekimoto and Okabayashi. Could give their Strong Style title some big league cred. 

Edit: I didn't realize KENSO left too. Hasn't AJPW always been pretty good to that guy? I don't see him being in demand for freelance bookings the way Go is. Hopefully Suwama stays at least. 

Well KENSO is different since he still freelances in All Japan. So he probably makes less from All Japan since he isn't under contract but it gives him freedom to do other stuff. Hell the guy is old, maybe he just wants to chill the other days of the month :)

Speaking of KENSO, I wonder how many cards these guys will run before they more than likely go out of business. Also, not that it makes any difference but KENSO's wife, Hiroko has now gotten into local politics. It could play into his decision to go freelance (control his schedule more).

I think KENSO will always be a "name" guy who can get bookings.

Well if Akiyama is the one not letting contracted wrestlers participate in other promotions, then that would be a problem. Smaller indies (which is what All Japan is) generally can't afford to do that, I have no idea what they pay their wrestlers but its pretty unheard of for wrestlers not in New Japan or Dragon Gate to not be permitted to bounce around occasionally to other shows. Maybe it is being exaggerated or just isn't true at all, but I could see wrestlers not liking that unless the pay is really good.

• Like 2

Hey everyone. I used to post on SSS as CP Munk and now I'm here because I love puroresu.

Don't know why Akiyama is running a "closed doors" policy with the dearth of talent they have there. Really, the death knell was sounded when the NOAH exodus happened and Mutoh leaving was probably the point of no return for them. I could be wrong; I would not have believed ten years ago that ZERO1 would still be going, either.

Apparently Shiozaki got squashed in his tag match against Akiyama & Kanemaru. A final "FU" from Jun on his way out.

Willing to bet Go stays a freelancer for awhile. New Japan already has so many wrestlers they're booking those insane 10-man tags. NOAH would probably be the best place for him and God knows they need more serious heavyweight talent.

Go in NJPW wouldn't be the worst either. There's kinda a rut with the top guys, and bringing in Styles brought in some fresh matchups. I'd imagine bringing in Go would bring another round of fresh stuff, and he has instant cred being a GHC and TC champ.

I totally agree that Nakamura versus Styles is probably the ONLY singles showdown we haven't gotten yet, and that NJPW is going to have to shake things up at the top of the card.

However, I would much rather see Shiozaki built up in NOAH after a homecoming, with NJPW giving Goto more of a push. I know there is a small chance of that happening, though, given that they just took the IC belt off him and seem to have given up on building him up.

Go returning to NOAH doesn't really make any sense...he's not the savior of the promotion, he's the guy who ditched them.  

UNLESS...Go returns, but in the same evening turns heel and joins Suzuki-gun,  emphatically putting the final nail in the coffin, if that's indeed where they might be going with this long-term angle...

As far as New Japan goes, I can't imagine he would settle for anything less than that level.  He's in his prime, so he might as well give it a shot.  I'm honestly having a hard time imagining Shiozaki in New Japan, but maybe that would make it more interesting if it plays out that way.  

I was a bit miffed at first when Go announced he was leaving, since this will no doubt hurt All Japan in the short term.  But the more I think about it, if Akiyama is being so strict and holding guys back from earning a better living, I can see how a guy like Go can only put up with that for so long.  

The thing is All Japan doesn't have debt and actually has tons of sponsors. It's how they signed and kept Akebono.

If I were Akiyama I would have let Go work where he wanted because it would have kept him. I could see him doing well in NJPW though.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kotaro leave soon too. This isn't what Burning signed up for. Akiyama only agreed when it was clear Muto had no interest in returning and forcing us to deal with W1.

so, apparently King Corino and Kevin Kelly calling King of Pro Wrestling for New Japan. Don't want to hear anymore geeks whining about how they can't graps the language.

but according to PWInsider.com, Matt Striker will be on commentary too.

1443807057701.png

Does that mean that it is going to air on PPV here, or is the English option going to be available through NJPW World?

aired on NJPW World. just click the English Coverage picture and click a row which has "3AM EDT / 0AM PDT" sentence on your NJPW WORLD to watch it in English commentary. You can change the language into English on the top of the page

Jeez, Kevin Kelly and Corino... honestly Striker is the best part of that equation. They should just get Ranallo and Warmaster instead.

According to PWInsider it's only Kelly and Striker, no Corino.

I am surprised more people have not praised that Shibata/Naito match. Those two guys used their time effectively, and Naito continues to be a great heel.

I also liked the subtlety of the ref giving Shibata more leeway after Naito shoved him down to the mat.

Jeez, Kevin Kelly and Corino... honestly Striker is the best part of that equation. They should just get Ranallo and Warmaster instead.

According to PWInsider it's only Kelly and Striker, no Corino.

Thank God on Corino not being a part of it.  Never met the guy, can't attest to what his real life personality is, but the "gimmick" of King Corino has me reaching for the mute button on the rare occasions I watch ROH.