DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2016 Edition

Kevin Wilson

I don't doubt you when you say those Suzuki-Kanemaru matches are crazy.  I just feel like between NOAH and All Japan, I've seen it a bazillion times.  I'll give it a whirl, though.  

I'll vouch for that captain's fall match.  Tons of fun.  That was classic hard-hitting pro wrestling, which may be what current All Japan does best at this moment in time.  

I'm dying to see the tag title match, hope that turns out to be as great as it looks on paper.  I was under the impression that Doering was injured, did that not turn out to be true?

All Japan is an odd wild west-type promotion these days, lots of tough guys drifting in and out, a mishmash of styles.  Lots of interesting freelancers on the periphery.  For example, Yuji Hino coming in for the upcoming heavyweight tournament.  I mean, holy shit!  It's very promising, but it seems like they can't afford to lock guys like that down for more permanent gigs, which is a shame.  

Doering got hurt but I'll be damned if the crowd didn't love the Doering/Aoki tag team. That's a team I'd like to see more of. Apparently the Captain's Fall from 8/16 and the Akebono/Zeus TC matches are both worth tracking down as well.

Suwama is in the press allegedly unhappy with Jun Akiyama. He feels that Akiyama needs to reform All Japan, revitalize stables, and allow the company to work with other companies. Apparently, Suwama has Atsushi Aoki in his corner but the rest of All Japan doesn't necessarily agree. It was Akiyama who killed Suwama's IGF program as the President wants to the promotion to mimic the time of Giant Baba's which as isolated as possible with the workers showing loyalty only to All Japan. There's an allegience test going on with workers choosing either the "President Faction" or the "Senior Managing" section. Suwama made it clear at the Tenryu Retirement conference that he wanted to assume Tenryu's rebellious spirit and might rebel against Akiyama's conservative ways and do whatever he wants.

If it's an angle, it's awesome. If not, well this sucks again. However, I'm more inclined to believe it's an angle.

Does anyone know what became of Milano Collection AT after he retired?

From his wikipedia page:

Sawafuji remains with New Japan as a member of the IWGP Championship Committee and a color commentator.

He's not on commentary very often though, at least nothing that airs on World. I think I've only seen him a few times the past year or so.

Not sure if anyone on here buys puro memorabilia but I just wanted to let everyone know I opened up a store - The Puroresu Central Shop! I am selling puroresu cards (such as King of Pro Wrestling), lots of autographed stuff, magazines, just whatever I can get my hands on at a reasonable bulk price. I have some rare items like a program from the first Champion Carnival and a Misawa/Akiyama signed DVD. So check it out :)

• Like 1

NJPW "Destruction in Okayama"
23. September 2015
Okayama - 3.160 Fans

Katsuyori Shibata, Yuji Nagata, Yohei Komatsu & Sho Tanaka beat Tetsuya Naito, Manabu Nakanishi, David Finlay & Jay White (7:47)

reDRagon (Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly) beat Jushin Thunder Liger & Mascara Dorada (8:31)

NWA World Junior Heavyweight Championship
Tiger Mask IV beats Steve Anthony © (10:10) ===> TITLECHANGE

Special Tag Team Match
Hiroshi Tanahashi& Matt Sydal beat Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga) (10:00)

IWGP Tag Team Championship
Bullet Club (Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows) © beat TenKoji (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) (13:15)

CHAOS (Shinsuke Nakamura, Tomohiro Ishii, Beretta, Rocky Romero & YOSHI-HASHI) beat Hirooki Goto, Tomoaki Honma, Alex Shelley, Ryusuke Taguchi & Captain New Japan (13:24)

Special Tag Team Match
CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & Toru Yano) beat Bullet Club (AJ Styles & Cody Hall) (9:52)

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship
Kenny Omega beats KUSHIDA © (16:26) ===> TITLECHANGE

Matt Sydal will be the first challenger of Kenny Omega!

NEVER Openweight Championship
Togi Makabe © beats Kota Ibushi (18:41)

Tomohiro Ishii challenges Togo Makabe to a title match.

I can do without having to deal with Makabe's shitty ass holding a belt, and I don't want to watch Ishii have to be his bitch... again.

Taking the Jr belt off KUSHIDA is ok with Omega vs Sydal and if they pull the trigger on Time Spitters vs. Anderson/Gallows title switch.  At this point, what the hell are either KUSHIDA and Shelley going to do in a horribly stagnant Junior Division that they're better than?

So, the semifinals of All Japan's current tournament are actually interesting: Akebono vs Shuji Ishikawa and Yuji Hino vs Akiyama. I don't imagine the regular roster jobbing to outsiders, but the fact that Hino and Ishikawa have made it this far is promising.

I honestly don't know how to call that tournament however I could see a Akiyama/Ishikawa final with Akiyama taking it giving Bono 3 fresh challengers in Suwama, Ishikawa, and Akiyama.

More matches announced for Tenryu's retirement. Suwama and Kazuyuki Fujita finally square after a summer full of politics.

- Koki Kitahara, Ryuji Hijikata & Kotaro Nasu vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima, Hikaru Sato & Daichi Hashimoto

- Yoshihiro Takayama & Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs. Minoru Suzuki & Kazunari Murakami

- Suwama & Kengo Mashimo vs. Kazuyuki Fujita & Yuji Hino