DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2016 Edition

Kevin Wilson

More Women Ardently Watch Prowrestling Matches

It was at a prowrestling exhibition recently held by DDT Pro-wrestling, a prowrestling organization in Tokyo, on March 3 in Shinjuku Ward, Tokyo. The event, which was limited to a women-only audience, attracted about 600 spectators mainly in their 20s to 40s.

According to DDT, the number of female spectators began increasing about three years ago. Currently, about half of the audience for ordinary exhibitions is women. Thanks to the increasing numbers of female fans, the total number of spectators increased 20 percent from the previous year in 2013 and 10 percent in 2014.

New Japan Pro-Wrestling, a large prowrestling organization in Tokyo, also said the ratio of female fans, which was about 10 percent of the audience about four to five years ago, has increased to about 30 percent recently.

This is where I always thought Dragon Gate was ahead of the curve where they purposefully cultivated more "ikemen" wrestlers.

It's a valid modern business model to cultivate. Anyway, Kobashi announced he's going to be a father, his wife is due later in the year.

20150409-00000016-tospoweb-000-3-view.jp

Or a loving half nelson suplex letting centifugal force do the work.

That is my pitch because 'dropping her with a burning hammer so fast the baby is left hanging in the air like WIle E. Coyote' is too silly.

• Like 2

In trying to find something outside of NJPW to get into from Japan, this "This day in history" piece from F4W sounds amazing.  I'd love to see if there's video of this somewhere, or if anything confirmation that this was indeed wacky and awesome.

An all-time great wacky indie show took place 14 years ago in 2001, as Masao Orihara's Mobius promotion ran the Apex of Triangle trios tournament, which primarily featured talent from Michinoku Pro and the odd array of indies that it worked with, including infamous monster fighter Survival Tobita from the Saitama Pro Wrestling Company. Not only did Orihara wrestle as himself, but one of the other teams featured Sasuke the Great, his alter ego, which was the evil counterpart of The Great Sasuke. Except it might not have been him, because sometimes they teamed together (the other Sasuke the Great was believed to be Pentagon Black)

Anyway, it all built to the finals, where The Great Sasuke, Gran Hamada, and Tiger Mask IV defeated Orihara, Takeshi Ono, and KAW*KAW. The cash prize was awarded...and it turned out to currency with Sasuke the Great's "face" on it. He pointed and laughed at The Great Sasuke and that was the end of the show. Truly must-see entertainment.

Repeated injuries combined with being in NOAH, which gets very little attention. Can't think of anything he's done post Misawa that really stood out, and while I feel sorry for him having to deal with retiring, I can't say I'll miss him as he never seemed to take off like he should have after the ROH title run.

Yeah, I was pretty excited for AJ's prospects for that half-year/year they had Akiyama and Go and Muto and crew hadn't left, but then the whole W-1 thing happened and they've just got so little to work with.

I will give them an A for effort. They've tried shifting spotlight to other guys like Akebono, Joe Doering, and Omori who aren't bad at all... they've even done a decent job with Zeus by using him effectively (Shiozaki/Zeus was really fucking good).. No one cares though. It's obvious the small fanbase they had spilt into two when W1 formed and honestly, both companies should just cut the fat and merge, take some of the few decent workers NOAH has and really do this thing.

• Like 1

What's the consensus on Takeshi Rikio? I tended to enjoy him most of the time, although I disagreed with him being the one to dethrone Kobashi. His title reign wasn't anything hot either, but I enjoyed him. I see him get shit on by mostly everyone. I was wondering if that hatred is really so prevalent?

My recent exploits into AJPW are very WAR-esque which means "watch it". Akebono is, in six-mans where he doesn't have the chance to blow up in moments due to cardio, one big surly destroyer of a wrestler.

EDIT: I am all about AJPW/Wrestle-1/NOAH reconfiguring in a conglomerate banner if they could ever all get along for the benefit of the group. Let them take their personal squabbles out on each other in the ring and have them keep their own factions and just beat the shit out of each other with no clear winner, ever. Everyone wins!

Well technically NOAH is a part pf NJPW now so that would never happen. I blame the continued split between AJPW and WRESTLE-1 though on Mutoh's vanity.

Apparently no one liked Nobuo Shiraishi when he acted as president, based on the exodus of half the roster.  Wrestlers have left promotions before and just became freelancers (such as Sasaki) but for a dozen wrestlers to leave at once shows there was definitely some behind the scenes issues there.  Hopefully those have been resolved now that Akiyama is the president.