DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2016 Edition

Kevin Wilson

In women's wrestling, at least, it seems to have started with the Beauty Pair in the 70s getting paper streamers when they were singing ala the idols of their day.

http://youtu.be/9a7qv6Dzih4

When they started doing regularly during entrances, I don't know but here's Jackie Sato getting them solo in 1980.

http://youtu.be/UEgZzOv98lY

Here's a few getting thrown in 1979 for Baba/Inoki vs Singh/Abdullah

And just for kicks, here's an idol getting grazed with a roll.

Thanks for the information, guys.  It's always been a question I thought of but not sure if it was worth asking.  Great to know about though.  Hard to imagine somebody trying that in WWE, but if they did they'd likely be thrown out.

Curt, I saw the gif of the seating mats getting thrown in.  I wasn't sure what the hell that was about, but that was interesting.  And The Z, Rave getting toilet paper always cracked me up.  They stopped that for a while, but every now and then one would be thrown at somebody the crowd hates.  Pretty sure Elgin got it at least once after the baseball issue.

Maybe the referee but the seconds are there to learn and watch. After the match, they tend to their senpai with magic spray or, better yet, taped glass bottle of water if it was in the '80s.

If the refs do call spots, it's a lot less frequent than in America where you've got flippin' Drake Younger more or less calling the women's matches as a referee.

I have two unrelated questions that I thought I might be able to get some answers to here.

I saw the Michinoku Pro 10 man from the Inoki Festival 12/01/1996 recently, which is an outstanding match, and I was really curious as to what the deal was with this event exactly? Did Inoki not have ties to NJPW at this particular period of time? The line up of guys who worked this show and the fact the MPro match main evented is all really bizarre to me for a show that Antonio Inoki promoted. It's also curious because the crowd doesn't seem like they're particular familiar with the wrestlers.

The other question was something I was wondering as I was watching some of the mid-90s Champion Carnival TV blocks. Is there footage from these matches that doesn't feature the weird CC bumper music drowning out the intros and post match, and that has the normal AJPW commentary instead of the after-the-fact whisper team up with Giant Baba? It's a minor gripe but I always wanted to see some of these matches in a more "live broadcast" format.

WAR is some of the best shit ever. They did great juniors wrestling on the undercard at the same time New Japan was blowing up with their juniors stuff (and ended up doing their own Super J card at the same time too), had super stiff heavyweight matches on top, brought us half the matches posted on the MISC. MATCHES thread with Tenryu's insistence upon bringing in all kinds of random wrestlers from around the globe and making them tag*, and had thee most intensely heated interpromotional feud EVER in New Japan vs. WAR. Just go looking for "WAR Tenryu" on Youtube and watch anything that comes up, you won't be disappointed. 

SWS was prior to WAR and was equally terrific, btw. 

http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2434-misc-matches/

The whole Perro Aguayo Jr. tragedy made me think about Naohiro Hoshikawa. Does anyone here know if he ever showed improvement? I think to remember there was even talk of brain damage back then, though I don't think I have heard news about him in 10 years.

The whole Perro Aguayo Jr. tragedy made me think about Naohiro Hoshikawa. Does anyone here know if he ever showed improvement? I think to remember there was even talk of brain damage back then, though I don't think I have heard news about him in 10 years.

He last appeared in ZERO1 in July of 2013 for his anniversary.  He is able to stand with help but I am not sure about brain damage.  He had a little fake match with Marufuji on 7/17/13.  From watching the video I am not sure if he is all there to be honest.

Seems a bit exploitative but if he enjoyed it, who am I to judge.

Alien spaceships have never entered Japanese airspace, the country’s defense chief told the Diet on Thursday, amid questioning about the threat from space aliens.

Defense Minister Gen Nakatani said the nation’s warplanes can be scrambled whenever there is a report of an unidentified flying object. But, he said, jets have so far encountered no UFOs from space.

“When the Air Self Defense Force detects indications of an unidentified flying object that could violate our country’s airspace, it scrambles fighter jets if necessary and makes visual observation,” he said.

“They sometimes find birds or flying objects other than aircraft but I don’t know of a case of finding an unidentified flying object believed to have come over from anywhere other than Earth,” he said.

Nakatani, a sober politician with a reputation for thorough understanding of his brief, was responding to a question from flamboyant wrestler-turned-lawmaker Antonio Inoki.

At a meeting Wednesday of the Upper House Budget Committee, Inoki had asked if aircraft were dispatched to meet extraterrestrial visitors and “whether studies are going on.”

Inoki, known for his outsized chin and trademark red scarf, said he did not know whether or not aliens existed, but he had once seen a mysterious flying object rocket into the air on the horizon and disappear.

From here.

• Like 1

Maybe the referee but the seconds are there to learn and watch. After the match, they tend to their senpai with magic spray or, better yet, taped glass bottle of water if it was in the '80s.

If the refs do call spots, it's a lot less frequent than in America where you've got flippin' Drake Younger more or less calling the women's matches as a referee.

The magic (freezing) spray is awesome. I used some at a medical tent when I was running a half-marathon and got a pulled groin muscle at mile 8.

Any updates on Yoshi Tatsu?

He's out of the halo and it looks like he's out of the neckbrace as of a couple weeks ago.

Apparently there was a press conference today announcing the full-fledged return of FMW.

Here's the announced wrestlers so far:

Atsushi Onita

Ricky Fuji

Hideki Hosaka

Masato Tanaka

Gosaku Goshogawara

Choden Senshi Battleranger 

Kikutaro

Tomohiko Hashimoto

KAI [WRESTLE-1]

Andy Wu [WRESTLE-1]

Seiki Yoshioka [WRESTLE-1]

Shotaro Ashino [WRESTLE-1]

Miss Mongolia

Ray

NOSAWA is going to be leading a heel stable, possibly with Kazunari Murakami. Hayabusa is also going to be involved in the promotion.

Just to be clear this promotion legally has nothing to do with the original FMW. That is why it is called Super Battle FMW. They didn't buy the FMW name from bankruptcy court, they didn't buy any of the FMW library or anything like that. So this will just be another promotion like Tarzan Goto's Super FMW promotion using the name to stand out. Battle Ranger who along with Hideki Takahashi (old FMW sales guy) that started this promotion is saying that this is promotion will be a continuation of FMW that ended in 2002 although that would be like if JT Smith started a new indy promotion in Philadelphia and said it was the first continuation of ECW since it closed down in 2001.

Results from NJPW's Invasion Attack:

Shelley/KUSHIDA/Nagata/Komatsu/Capt. New Japan d. Liger/TMIV/Taguchi/Tanaka/Nakanishi

Honma/Tenzan/Kojima d. Hall/Tonga/Takahashi - Honma gets the pin!

Baretta/Romero (Roppongi Vice) d. The Young Bucks to win the IWGP Jr. Tag Titles.

Kenny Omega d. Mascara Dorada to defend the IWGP Jr. title - Omega challenged Alex Shelley after the match (shouldn't it be the other way around?)

Taven/Bennett d. Gallows/Anderson to win the IWGP tag titles - part of the story of the match was that Anderson had lust in his eyes and in his black heart for Maria Kanellis. She jumped on the apron to distract him towards the end leading to the title change (whatever their finisher was, it looked bad).

Goto/Naito/Makabe d. Nakamura/Ishii/YOSHI-HASHI - Goto pinned Nakamura, who was mocking Goto at the beginning by pretending to not be able to see him, probably to set up an IC match between the two. Makabe and Ishii continued their issue as well.

Sakuraba/Yano d. Shibata/Tanahashi - Yano and Tanahashi did their thing but the match ended with Sakuraba tapping out Shibata.

Okada d. Fale - Let's hope this is finally over.

Styles d. Ibushi - Not that I would know. So apparently for some people overseas, their feeds died early. In Japan, a bunch of people (including me) lost our connections right as the main event was about to begin. Thanks New Japan!

Also they announced the dates for the G1 Climax 25, starting on July 20th and ending August 16 in Ryogoku. That's almost a week longer than last year (7/21 to 8/10). Are they expanding the field for the 25th G1?

Slight update: New Japan acknowledges that there were problems and blames it on "unauthorized access."

本日の4.5両国大会におきまして、不正なアクセスが集中したことにより、一部のお客様にLIVEでご覧いただけない状況が発生いたしました。 復旧が遅れ、皆様にご迷惑をおかけしたことをお詫びいたします。 今後このようなことがないよう対応をしてまいります。