DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2016 Edition

Kevin Wilson

I don't know if I just read something out of context in the Michinoku Pro summary but the big Delphin/Togo angle in 1997 only kept him off shows for a few months.  He returns with the sunglasses/no mask and a "new" physique around the time of the August 1997 TV block of shows.  He makes his heroic in-ring comeback in the 10/10/97 show with a great six man tag.  Everything MPro from 1996-1997 is worth watching.  1995 is pretty good too.  1998...has the young Ultimo Dragon students who do a decent job replacing KDX.  1999 and 2000 then get really with 2002 later being almost at the level of 96-97.  I haven't watched much after 2003 with the Toryumon X guys but it looks to be at the very least to be as fun as the 1993-1994 MPro.  Those early years have some good and great shows but not as good as everyone would later become a few years later. 

It hasn't been shamed in a while so I'll just say it - DO NOT EXPECT ANYTHING FROM The Undertaker vs. Hakushi match that also took place on that show. Sasuke/TAKA is a letdown as well from that same night.  They had better matches in 1997 WWF and probably lesser known MPro matches. 

What, Taker/Hakushi? That's pretty widely known to have happened and be a stinker. 

I was looking up results and found that BJW's Fan Appreciation show this year is going to feature this: 

Suffocation Water Hell!!! Summer of Tension!!! Dainippon of Summer!!! Summer Vacation Pro-Wrestling!!! Poseidon Adventure Splash Match: Ryuji Ito, Abdullah Kobayashi & Yuji Okabayashi vs. Shu Brahman, Kei Brahman & Takayuki Ueki

~ 200 liters of water will be used. BJW warns the fans that there is a high chance that they will get wet throughout the duration of the match

What, Taker/Hakushi? That's pretty widely known to have happened and be a stinker. 

I was looking up results and found that BJW's Fan Appreciation show this year is going to feature this: 

Suffocation Water Hell!!! Summer of Tension!!! Dainippon of Summer!!! Summer Vacation Pro-Wrestling!!! Poseidon Adventure Splash Match: Ryuji Ito, Abdullah Kobayashi & Yuji Okabayashi vs. Shu Brahman, Kei Brahman & Takayuki Ueki

~ 200 liters of water will be used. BJW warns the fans that there is a high chance that they will get wet throughout the duration of the match

Still better than watching a Haruka Eigen match.

Full results of NJPW show.  Credit: Purolove.com

NJPW "THE NEW BEGINNING IN OSAKA", 11.02.2015 (WPW/NJPW World)
Osaka BODYMAKER COLOSSEUM
7,500 Fans - Super No Vacancy Full House

1. Sho Tanaka besiegt Yohei Komatsu (5:38) mit einem Single-Leg Crab Hold.
2. Tiger Mask & Máscara Dorada besiegen Manabu Nakanishi & Captain New Japan (5:03) nach einem Cradle von Dorada gegen Captain.
3. Special Tag Match: Rob Conway & Chase Owens besiegen Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Jushin Thunder Liger (7:53) nach einem Package Driver von Owens gegen Liger.
4. Special Singles Match: Kota Ibushi besiegt Tomoaki Honma (12:15) mit einem Phoenix Splash.
5. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title, 3 Way Match: Matt Jackson & Nick Jackson besiegen Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish © and Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA (7:53) als Matt KUSHIDA nach dem More Bang For Your Buck!! pinnte - Titelwechsel.
6. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Kenny Omega © besiegt Ryusuke Taguchi (13:58) mit dem One-Winged Angel (1st defense).
7. Special Six Man Tag Match: Kazushi Sakuraba, Kazuchika Okada & Toru Yano besiegen Bad Luck Fale, Yujiro Takahashi & Tama Tonga (11:45) nach dem Rainmaker von Okada gegen Tonga.
8. Special Six Man Tag Match: Yuji Nagata, Satoshi Kojima & Tetsuya Naito besiegen Shinsuke Nakamura, Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI (16:30) nach einer Stardust Press von Naito gegen YOSHI-HASHI.
9. IWGP Tag Team Title: Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows besiegen Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata © (16:26) als Gallows Shibata nach dem Magic Killer pinnte - Titelwechsel.
10. IWGP Heavyweight Title: AJ Styles besiegt Hiroshi Tanahashi © (26:08) mit dem Styles Clash - Titelwechsel.

Kinda surprised by a couple of results.

• Like 1

I guess they are still going "all in" with the Bullet Club.  Part of me wonders if if this is due to wanting to expand popularity into the US, so they are having Americans win the titles.  I mean look at the card, five of the ten matches had at least one American on the winning team (six if you include Mexico).  That can't be a coincidence.  

Watching the New Japan show, some early observations...

The High Fly Flow on to 8 dudes busted up Tanahashi really badly. There was a huge gash under his left eyebrow and he bled quite a bit. He collided face-first into Matt Jackson's face. How do they not break each other's ribs when countering the high fly flow and springboard 450 with the knees up, I do not know. Both spots look gross. Styles did a decent job attacking the cut when in desperation mode a few times near the end. The Styles Clash is super over - he only had to break (several) necks to do it! I didn't like him using the hollow point as a build-up killer move instead of a finishing killer move. The crowd didn't buy it either as they went from panicky when he was going for the clash to super quiet once he hit the hollow point (which doesn't look great, because he's clearly protecting the recipient, thankfully). Good match, not great.

I skipped the opening three matches but Ibushi/Honma was fun, the three way Jr. tag title match was better than the 1/4 match - a great junior tag sprint, then there were a few dull multi-man tags that I glossed over, followed by the tag title match which was kind of there until a fun last few minutes. Skipped most of Taguchi/Omega because I didn't really care for their first one and what I saw from this one wasn't all that different or more appealing.

How long has Naito been booed by the fans? Is there a particular reason for it other than him being Tetsuya Naito?

One thing I still don't like about New Japan is the antiquated way they handle rookies.  Tanaka and Komatsu show a lot of promise, especially Tanaka, but even after debuting over two years ago they are still in opening matches  I don't know if they are the next Tanahashi but I'd like to see them in longer matches against better opponents.

Watching the New Japan show, some early observations...

The High Fly Flow on to 8 dudes busted up Tanahashi really badly. There was a huge gash under his left eyebrow and he bled quite a bit. He collided face-first into Matt Jackson's face. How do they not break each other's ribs when countering the high fly flow and springboard 450 with the knees up, I do not know. Both spots look gross. Styles did a decent job attacking the cut when in desperation mode a few times near the end. The Styles Clash is super over - he only had to break (several) necks to do it! I didn't like him using the hollow point as a build-up killer move instead of a finishing killer move. The crowd didn't buy it either as they went from panicky when he was going for the clash to super quiet once he hit the hollow point (which doesn't look great, because he's clearly protecting the recipient, thankfully). Good match, not great.

I skipped the opening three matches but Ibushi/Honma was fun, the three way Jr. tag title match was better than the 1/4 match - a great junior tag sprint, then there were a few dull multi-man tags that I glossed over, followed by the tag title match which was kind of there until a fun last few minutes. Skipped most of Taguchi/Omega because I didn't really care for their first one and what I saw from this one wasn't all that different or more appealing.

How long has Naito been booed by the fans? Is there a particular reason for it other than him being Tetsuya Naito?

Re: Osaka booing Naito. He told them to.

• Like 1

One thing I still don't like about New Japan is the antiquated way they handle rookies.  Tanaka and Komatsu show a lot of promise, especially Tanaka, but even after debuting over two years ago they are still in opening matches  I don't know if they are the next Tanahashi but I'd like to see them in longer matches against better opponents.

I imagine both are about to be sent to CMLL/Europe for their seasoning expeiditions, no? 

I imagine both are about to be sent to CMLL/Europe for their seasoning expeiditions, no? 

Yea I imagine, I just wish they'd hurry up and do it.  They can then start phasing out Nakanishi :)

• Like 1

Yoshihito Sasaki has been removed from Big Japan's roster page. I think I'm going to cry :( Maybe he has secretly retired. Uuuuuggggghhhhh.

His wikipedia page (great source, I know) just says that his contract was not renewed and that the surgery didn't go well.  So it doesn't look good but he hasn't officially retired anyway.

So, based on attendance, DDT has gotta be the #2 fed in Japan right now, right?

I'd still put them behind Dragon Gate because their attendance throughout the year is higher on a week to week basis, and while DDT can pop a big crowd for their special events, so can Dragon Gate (they sold out Kobe World Hall last year, claiming over 9,000).   I think New Japan, Dragon Gate, and DDT are the only three promotions that can sell out Korakuen on a regular basis so I have no issue considering them the top three in that order.  Dragon Gate also runs a lot more shows than DDT, which I think matters as well.