DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia General Discussion: 2016 Edition

Kevin Wilson

New year, I figured it was about time to start a new thread.

I am going to try to do better this year on starting topics about the big events.  Will I be successful?  We'll see!  But any show that doesn't have a thread or just for general puroresu stuff, post it here.

Anyone have a good pic of Ibushi's balcony moonsault from Peter Pan 2012? You would think finding a pic of a spot that crazy and memorable would be easy but can't find one anywhere, looks like Yahoo Sports doesn't archive that far back.

What Japanese wrestler doesn't? Seriously, that was one of my first impressions when I saw some of the merch being sold in Korakuen. Every wrestler is gay4pay.

Thanks for the pic though. The moonsault one of course...

Since New Japan has, in the past, worked their Dome show numbers, I'm curious how truly bad the attendance was in '07 when they claimed 18,000. Was that a legit number or how bad was it really? If that number was legit, any reason why they didn't work it to be respectable and less embarrassing? I remember following the company through all this but I'll be damned if I can remember the hows and whys.

It was an angle where Ichiro Yaguchi, one of Atsushi Onita's boys, was raising Great Nita out of retirement from the river or sea or something I guess for some match at the time. Here is the whole series of photos from May, 2013. I think it was part of the angle to setup his big match that summer against Akebono as Kilauea.

http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/photo/fight/all/dtl/235/

To badly translate the mobile article I found about it:

Yaguchi in the Nita summons "love of prayer"
""Evil ways" Atsushi Onita incarnation Great Nita is the 27th, appeared for the first time in 10 years in response to the prayer of Yaguchi 壹琅! Participation of Atsushi Onita wrestling ring 6.21 Shinjuku FACE tournament of Nita landed from Tokyo Odaiba coast has become decisive.

6.21 is discretionary Shinjuku Produce, Yaguchi burning obsession to Nita summoned several tens of minutes that devote towards the sea "love of prayer", Phantom of the Nita and looked like systemic dressed in black appeared from rocky shade. Before long, Ya closer to shore as crawl the shallows, compromise towards the Yaguchi, I share the joy of "reunion". Again, Phantom was Nita. It's says Nita who "is smeared with the Tokyo Bay of sludge" black completely changed Yaguchi, but once both were "comrades" between mind the ring even in the land of Afghanistan seems to have been especially close to going beyond time and space.

It should be noted, Yaguchi is eager to confrontation of 6.21 Shinjuku "ally" Onita Metropolitan made its own debut 20 anniversary box office. In response to the other hand "Nita Advent", it was stated that the move towards the realization of Nita vs. Great Bono that Onita proposed on the occasion of the press conference of the 22nd."

For the record, this was also Yaguchi.

mandora.jpg

I'm pretty sure his day job is as a session musician or something.

Edit: http://blog.livedoor.jp/yaguchi16/

Okay, he went to the Berklee College of Music, he's more talented than we are.

• Like 1

Finally typed this up somewhere else so I may as well put this here about my experience going to Dragon Gate's Final Gate show in Hakata on 12/28 of last year:

I went to the show but when I got to Hakata, I realized that I forgot my ticket back home. I live a shinkansen ride away from Fukuoka so returning home and then back to Hakata would have probably made me miss most of the show plus cost an extra hundred dollars or so. So I went to the box office before the gates opened and talked with one of the staff. He’s like, “Where do you live?” and when I tell him he knows I can’t get back in time. So he asks if I have a receipt (no) or if I have/can get shamail (a picture via email – either I have a photo of the ticket itself or someone can get my ticket and send a photo of it to me – anyway, also no). They basically try to find some way to get me a ticket but in the end I (understandably) have to buy a ticket again. I bought a ticket similar to what I had before, a 2nd floor general ticket at about 50 dollars. When they are about to give me the ticket, Anthony Mori, who is working the box office, instead gives me a 2nd floor special seat ticket, a twenty dollar upgrade. Not the best seat in the house but way more than they needed to give to a dumb-ass who forgot his ticket.

The semi-nude photos are very easy to find if that's your thing, daddio. Ladies love them too ya know. Oh yeaaaaah.

Nudity isn't as big of an embarrassment thing in Japan as it is in the West, especially when it comes to men. Makes sense with sumo wrestlers and men in festivals wearing thongs.

Not uncommonly, my NJPW fandom went from like 91-96 and then 2011-present.  Bit of a gap. 

What are a handful of must-see matches from, say, 2006 on (I guess the beginning of the Tanahashi-era).

It seems that everyone really hit their prime in the last couple of years, which is why the wrestling really improved. 

Of the current crop, what's the best stuff that probably a lot of us who jumped on board the last few years missed?

I preferred

Heard a great story while there that MMA legend and Pancrase founder Suzuki likes to arrive at the live events early and get  in the ring with the 'young boys' aka rookies and newbies and work out with them. I'm told that everyone always knows when this occurs because they can hear the young wrestlers screaming. - JR

I preferred

Heard a great story while there that MMA legend and Pancrase founder Suzuki likes to arrive at the live events early and get  in the ring with the 'young boys' aka rookies and newbies and work out with them. I'm told that everyone always knows when this occurs because they can hear the young wrestlers screaming. - JR

How impressive! Someone who's been doing shoot stuff for 20 years can beat up a bunch of people who can't fight back and don't know what they are doing. I thought this bullshit went away in the 80's? No wonder promotions can't find new guys.

if Suzuki's looking for sparring partners, I'm sure Cain Velasquez wouldn't mind helping him out ;) Bet he wouldn't be so bad then huh?