DVDVR Message Board

Best of ROH General Pimping Thread~!

I was at Manhattan Mayhem. Great show top to bottom. It didn't have a single match that garnered a ton of praise, but everything was really good and the show had an incredible flow.

I also want to add both Joe vs. Danielson from Midnight Express Reunion in 20014 and Joe vs. Danielson from Fight of the Century in 2006. Both were incredible matches and almost overshadowed because both guys were so deep into their title runs.

• Like 1

Gangsta Ki was probably Ki's best run anywhere. I don't think it produced many matches that people would count among the best of his career, but crowds were molten for pretty much everything he did. Playing the vicious asshole (being his regular self?) took him to the next level, in terms of being a larger than life character rather than just an Indy Superworker. I don't really know why no one else has tried to use him in the same role.

He was instrumental in building up Jay Lethal during that run. On the downside, his relationship with ROH inevitably blew up again before they could payoff Joe/Ki. But I guess you get what you deserve when you try to build a 2 year angle around Low Ki.

• Like 1

Gangsta Ki was probably Ki's best run anywhere. I don't think it produced many matches that people would count among the best of his career, but crowds were molten for pretty much everything he did. Playing the vicious asshole (being his regular self?) took him to the next level, in terms of being a larger than life character rather than just an Indy Superworker. I don't really know why no one else has tried to use him in the same role.

He was instrumental in building up Jay Lethal during that run. On the downside, his relationship with ROH inevitably blew up again before they could payoff Joe/Ki. But I guess you get what you deserve when you try to build a 2 year angle around Low Ki.

Let's talk about Low-Ki & Homicide vs. Samoa Joe & Jay Lethal from Punk: the Final Chapter. I was there live. It was my first ROH show. Just an awesome tag match with molten heat. And the brawl afterwards was insanity. Top to bottom. I was on the stands next to Low-Ki when he jumped from the top bleacher to double-stomp Jay on the ground. Insane. And Samoa Joe just deciding not to give a fuck anymore and launching about one million chairs at 'Cide and Ki was great too.

Let's talk about Low-Ki & Homicide vs. Samoa Joe & Jay Lethal from Punk: the Final Chapter. I was there live. It was my first ROH show. Just an awesome tag match with molten heat. And the brawl afterwards was insanity. Top to bottom. I was on the stands next to Low-Ki when he jumped from the top bleacher to double-stomp Jay on the ground. Insane. And Samoa Joe just deciding not to give a fuck anymore and launching about one million chairs at 'Cide and Ki was great too.

After EVA's post this was the match I was going to bring up but you beat me to the punch. I'm surprised no one has bought up Kobashi's two matches in ROH yet.

• Like 1

I loved KENTA's various runs in ROH, particularly his 2 matches with Danielson from GBH 2006 and the second PPV in 2007, and the match against Hero on Hdnet in 2009.

Special mention also to his threeway vs Joe and Danielson from 2006 where they all seemed like they were trying to legitimately hurt each other, is there a reason Joe vs Kenya never took place one on one?

After EVA's post this was the match I was going to bring up but you beat me to the punch. I'm surprised no one has bought up Kobashi's two matches in ROH yet.

Good call. Everyone remembers and loves Joe vs. Kobashi, but I think people forget sometimes that Kobashi & Homicide vs. Joe & Low-Ki was the tits too.

I loved KENTA's various runs in ROH, particularly his 2 matches with Danielson from GBH 2006 and the second PPV in 2007, and the match against Hero on Hdnet in 2009.

Special mention also to his threeway vs Joe and Danielson from 2006 where they all seemed like they were trying to legitimately hurt each other, is there a reason Joe vs Kenya never took place one on one?

I feel like one of those three got concussed in that match, but that might have been an angle.

I'm surprised ROH never did Joe vs. KENTA. It seemed like they were building to it (thought it might happen at that show in 06 instead of the three way). The crowd heat alone for Joe/KENTA would have been off the charts.

And for Gangsta Ki, his best match was probably against KENTA at Final Battle 05. Granted, he wasn't really Gangsta Ki in the match but it was during that run. Also, Ki and Aries had a really good match at Final Battle 08 (the last ROH show I attended and even watched) that probably would have gotten far more praise if it happened even a year earlier.

The first Dragon Gate six man was awesome. Also, the WrestleMania weekend shows for the Mania in Orlando were really good. I loved the hell out of Nigel/Aries.

I'm in the process of watching Death Before Dishonor V Night 2. Morishima vs. Albright. NRC & Matt Sydal vs. The Resilience & Delirious. Danielson vs. Mike Quackenbush. Mark Briscoe vs. El Generico. Kevin Steen vs. Jay Briscoe

Final Battle 08? Pretty sure Aries wrestled Tyler Black on that one. I don't think Low Ki has been back to ROH since 2005/06.

The only Ki/Aries match in ROH that I recall was at The Future is Now in 2005 where Ki beat Aries with a top rope Ki-Krusher in a non-title match - giving Aries a story line neck injury going into his match against Punk. Ki left ROH for the last time in early 2006 - I think his last match was against Jack Evans, which is a shame as they were building to a Ki/Daniels/Danielson rematch at the Anniversary Show...

Low Ki/Aries happened at All Star Extravaganza 2 to become the #1 contender it's how Aries got the title shot at Joe. It also had Joe vs. Punk 3 sadly I have the show on VHS and not DVD.

It was a 2 disk DVD set. I let a guy borrow it awhile back. When he returned it to me, he only gave me disk 2 back. Bastard. So I lost Aries vs. Low-Ki.

I haven't watched it in years but I remember the crowd for that Ki/Aries unsanctioned match deflating 1/4-1/2 way through as they collectively realized it was done so Ki could go over.

Does the DG six man really hold up? At the time I thought it was the greatest thing I'd ever seen and probably my 1b favorite match after Bret/Davey from SS92 and I'm scared to death it'll be awful now.

I love this project and I can't wait to go back and rewatch this stuff. I was such a huge ROH fan back then.

Final Battle 08? Pretty sure Aries wrestled Tyler Black on that one. I don't think Low Ki has been back to ROH since 2005/06.

You're right. I combined the Aries/Tyler Black and Aries/Ki from ASE II matches in my head. I loved both matches though!

• Like 1

Low Ki/Aries happened at All Star Extravaganza 2 to become the #1 contender it's how Aries got the title shot at Joe. It also had Joe vs. Punk 3 sadly I have the show on VHS and not DVD.

It was a 2 disk DVD set. I let a guy borrow it awhile back. When he returned it to me, he only gave me disk 2 back. Bastard. So I lost Aries vs. Low-Ki.

Yeah the VHS version was a 2 pack as well I picked it up when they were getting rid of there VHS releases. Another VHS I picked up that way had the Punk vs. Rave cage match.

Tonight I've been watching the CZW/ROH brawls from the 100th show, Weekend of Champions, and of course the cage match from Death Before Dishonor.  It made me remember just how hot that angle was and how much I got into it.  CZW got me back into wrestling in late 2001 and I always had a soft spot for that promotion, even though I ended up losing interest in their product not too long after this angle.  There was so much good stuff coming out of both feds at the time and while I haven't watched all of those shows save for the main events yet, the match listings reminded me of all the other good stuff ROH had at the time.

Anyways, these 3 matches were crazy and all over the place without taking it too far.  I'm thinking this was one of the few situations where Adam Pearce did anything worthwhile, and shit, has BJ Whitmer ever not hesitated to kill himself?  The cage match came close to being overbooked with Danielson's heel turn and Joe being taken out early leading to a really lopsided match for a while.  When it got going it was excellent and there was such insane heat coming off the ROH crowd.  I can't recall many other instances in that era where fans were throwing stuff and being so openly hostile.

I think Whitmer is pretty damn underrated just for how good of a brawler he was in his RoH career. The CZW feud, the Jacobs feud, the Whitmer and Maff/SCS stuff, especially the really damn great Chicago City Street Fight... He's gonna have more matches in this listing then most think he will.

Regular singles match Whitmer wasn't amazing, I will say. But he's been in a lot of good shit for RoH.

I watched Manhattan Mayhem today, and that show is just great. I think the impromptu tag at the end is tremendous and is Gabe doing his best Paul Heyman impression. I think at least three matches from this show will make my ballot, but that brawl is going to end up very high.

First controversial opinion time: I've watched two James Gibson matches and come away a little underwhelmed both times. I have a feeling he will end up with a pretty good showing overall, but right now I think he would be lower down for me than I would have thought going in.

Some I haven't seen mentioned yet

Samoa Joe vs. Jay Briscoe, At Our Best (An obvious candidate IMO)

Austin Aries vs. Samoa Joe, Fina Battle

Low Ki/Homicide vs. Lethal/Samoa Joe, Manhatten Mayhem

Low Ki/Homicide vs. Lethal/Samoa Joe, Punk: The Final Chapter

Kobashi vs. Joe

Roderick Strong vs. James Gibson, Unforgettable

Danielson vs. Strong, This Means War

Embassy vs. Gen Next, Steel Cage Warfare

KENTA vs. Low-Ki, Final Battle

Danielson vs. Strong, Supercard of Honor

Do Fixer vs. Blood Generation, Supercard of Honor

Cabana vs, Homcide, Better than our Best

Danielson vs. Delirious, 100th Show (Forget which of this series was best tbh but I remember loving the matches)

CZW vs. ROH, 100th show

Homicide vs. Necro, Ring of Homicide

Aries/Strong vs. Briscoes, Destiny

CZW vs. ROH Cage of Death

BJ Whitmer vs. Necro Butcher, War of the Wire

Danielson vs. Nigel, Unified

Joe vs. Strong, GBH V Night 1

KENTA vs. Danielson, GBH V Night 2

Aries/Strong vs. KENTA/Davey, Honor Reclaims Boston

Morishima vs Joe, Fifth Year Festival

Cabana vs. Jacobs, FYF Chicago

Nigel vs. Rave, FYF Liverpool

Morishima vs. Nigel, Fighting Spirit

Morishima vs. Aries, Battle of St. Paul

Briscoes vs. MCMG, Good Times, Great Memories

Morishima vs. Shingo Good Times, Great Memories

Great list.

I'm glad someone agrees the Nigel/Morishima match at Fighting Spirit is a great match. That one never gets any love.

I have to re-watch Joe vs Morishima. I was there live and was blown away. Up until that point, it was the most I ever marked out at a live show. But when I watched it again on DVD a couple of months later, it lost some of its luster. Thankfully, it's on Youtube