DVDVR Message Board

2013-2014 COLLEGE BASKETBALL THREAD

RIPPA

• 2 weeks later...

Rick Pitino = class.

“Some things happen for a reason,” Pitino told Balado. “Good things sometimes come from misfortune.” 

Then he pulled out a trio of $100 bills from his wallet and handed them to Balado, insisting he take his wife out for a nice dinner after the brutal few weeks the couple had recently endured. 

Balado politely declined, having too much pride to take charity. 

“You can afford it now,” Pitino said. “You’re an assistant coach at Louisville.”

• 1 month later...

I'm super pumped for the hoops season to start. BEYOND pumped.

I went to La Salle University in Philly. It's a great little school. I would venture to say that 99.9% of people who went there loved it. A huge chunk of professors went there. A lot of my classmates had siblings who attended school with them or their parents went their. I dubbed it "A legacy school for people who don't give a crap about their legacy." Any professor or student who shows an ounce of pretension gets chased from that place. It's awesome.

There was sort of a disconnect, though. As much as people love the school, there was just a certain something missing in the spirit people have. People who went to school together love hanging out together and would, without question, send their kids there once they become college age. But alumni events are poorly attended and their fundraising campaigns are an eternal struggle.It's sad to say this, but it's because of the basketball team. La Salle was a legitimate national power in the 1950s and 60s, with a few NCAA and NIT championship banners hanging from the rafters of our crappy gym. The school has had three national Player of the Year people in Tom Gola (who has the all-time college rebounding record), Michael Brooks (1980) and the great Lionel Simmons.

But the team didn't make a tournament since 1992 and had a bunch of awful errors. They moved from the MAAC (where they were positioned as the Gonzaga of the east) to something called the Midwestern Collegiate Conference, taking them from playing other east coast schools to Wisconsin-Milwaukee. They then moved to the much better A-10 but struggled with recruiting. They then opened their first on-campus gym which is essentially a really big high school facility.The worst, though, came in 2004. Two players (one of whom is Gary Neal) were arrested for raping a girl on campus for a basketball camp over the summer. Then a second girl (on the La Salle woman's team) stepped forward and said she accused a third player of raping her the year before and went to both the women's and men's coaches (Billy Hahn, who is now Bobby Huggins' assistant) and reported it to them and they didn't do anything.

It was a huge local scandal and a total embarrassment. Even worse, though, was who we took the hit from. Stephen A. Smith was still collecting a paycheck from the Inquirer and wrote a column that began "Ladies and gentlemen, do not send your children to La Salle University." The reason, though, wasn't because the coaches hid a rape. The reason was because the players were kicked off the team and coaches were fired before the case went to court. Great human being, quite frankly.The team showed some signs of life over the past few years. But they couldn't get over the hump. The had a team that won 18 games and returned 90% of the scoring AND added a freshman Top 50 center named Aaric Murray. They looked like they were beasts. But then three of the starters had season ending injuries, so they naturally sucked. The next season was a terrible collection of dipshits. Aaric Murray got kicked off the team (they said "transferred" to be polite in the press release) where he ended up at West Virginia. He then got kicked off of there for being a total lunatic and is now at Texas Southern.

Anyways, the few of us who still cared about La Salle hoops were about done. But then the season after they made the NIT. And then last year they were REALLY good for the first time.Their best player was Ramon Galloway. Ramon grew up within walking distance of campus, which is in a really rough part of the city. His dad was blind after being shot in the face with a shotgun by someone who owed him money. Two of his brothers were locked up for selling drugs and guns. Ramon ended up going to high school in Florida to get away from all of that. He was a really big recruit and ended up at South Carolina. Then his grandfather needed a kidney transplant and he asked for a hardship waiver and came back home.

They ended up sneaking into the tournament in the First Four games. They beat a good Boise State team. Then they played Kansas State in Kansas City and held on for the win. And then they beat Marshall Henderson's Ole Miss team on a last-second shot by Ty Garland (another local kid who transferred back home who will likely be an Academic All-American) he dubbed "The Southwest Philly Floater" after the game to Craig Sager. Then he gave a shout out to his Cousin Bern.

All of this also coincided with the 150th Anniversary of the school's foundation.

At a really tiny school, you get to know the players if you go to the games or are on campus (I do some volunteer stuff) or read the message board or have friends who teach. Every single person says they are the absolute best group of kids. They're super funny and personable and great ambassadors. There's also a few pre-med students on the team. All of them get good grades and actually participate in class -- I mean, it's not an Ivy League school but we also don't have any SMU-style basket weaving classes, either. You can't fill up a roster with easy A's if you're an athlete.

It was seriously one of the two or three best weeks of my life. I got to watch all of the games with my closest friends and we were surrounded by people who were also watching all of their games with their closest friends. Philly sports radio that week was somehow 95% La Salle basketball talk -- there were many nights when I was trying to get a score update and they didn't have one. People wore La Salle gear everywhere.

It's obviously tempered a bit being the off-season. But all me and my friends from school talk about (even the people who are "eh" on hoops) is this year's team. Ramon graduated but they bring everyone else back and add in another really good looking transfer. They could start the season ranked -- if they don't, a few wins to start the season will get them their. Season tickets are flying through the roof. They're also on ESPN or CBS College Sports a whole bunch. They're also playing Temple at The Palestra (Penn's gym, home to most intra-city school matchups) for the first ESPN Gameday of the year, which will be ridiculous.I'm so conflicted on college sports. The kids are obviously exploited and it's an industry filled with total scumbags. But our coach is a really good guy who assembled a team of great student-athletes. And it's brought together a community that has always wanted to be brought together but didn't have the glue.

Anyone who says that sports don't matter is wrong. Yes, it's a temporary event. But sports can transform people and communities. I got to be a part of that last year and, if all goes well, it will be even more awesome this year.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, the new Blue Jay is pretty choice.  But still eff Creighton for leaving the MVC.

Trying to find Louisville's schedule on ESPN yesterday made me realize that I no longer have any fucking idea who is in what conference.

I just saw the list of schools in the new American Conference and holy fuck the UConn women are never ever going to lose another conference game again.

This is going to be the weirdest season ever with all the shit we're going to have to get used to.

I am SO EXCITED for Nov. 9.

That is when my beloved La Salle Explorers hoist their Sweet 16 banner.

I am still in absolute shock and awe from last March. They were one of the last teams in and went on a fantastic run. We were ignored for literally decades in the Philly sports scene. Then, after we beat Marshall Henderson and Ole Miss, La Salle dominated the local sports scene. They were on the cover of both newspapers every day for two weeks. And sports radio did All La Salle stuff for essentially a week. The Monday after the game against Ole Miss was so incredibly surreal.

On top of being a very good team, they're also a really great group of kids. La Salle has about 4,000 undergrads. On top of getting my BA there, I also have my MA and a certificate. And I worked on campus for a few years. I know professors and other people on campus who know the players. And they say that each and every single one of them seems like they're in a contest to see who could be a nicer person. Even better, they have a bunch of All-Academic types of kids. And it's a small, Catholic school. We don't have basket weaving or any classes that are open to athletes only and easy A's. They have to actually go to class and stuff.

I literally dreamed of what it would be like to just have them MAKE the tournament. I've gone to 90% of their home games since I moved back to Philly in 2004. I sat through some miserable games with terrible teams. Remember when Towson State went on that insane losing streak? They beat us at home for their last win in however many years. It was so terrible.

And then it happened! What's also great is that since the school is so small, it's really a community. I've kept in touch with a bunch of my professors. My best friends are the people I met my first week of school. Essentially 90% of my social group are classmates. I know a lot of siblings who went there, and a bunch of kids whose parents also went there. We call it "A legacy school for people who don't care about having a legacy." It's super unpretentious and prides itself on graduating good people. Not that other schools don't do that, but we really make it a point. The run also coincided with the 150th Anniversary of the founding of the school, which made it even more special and great and touching for us.

I was literally in tears a bunch during the tournament run. It was the best two weeks of being a sports fan of my life. I can't believe something eclipsed the 2008 Phillies World Series and the outpouring of Philly Pride. But this did -- it was more personal and I had a lot more ownership. I mean, I go to I have no idea how many baseball games a season. But college basketball's a completely different feeling and emotional bond. The school really got to show what it's all about to the region and how special a place it is to those of us who went there and we really captured the Delaware Valley's hearts. The kids who represent the team get that and what it means to us.

Nov. 9 is the home opener against Manhattan, who are a pretty tough MAAC team this year. I get to see a Sweet 16 banner. Oh my god.

• 2 weeks later...

You are a dedicated fan and supporter of your college, Greggulator. That is for damn sure. I did see that they lost in double overtime.

All of you old-school basketball fans will appreciate that in 2013 there is still a son of Rick Barry who is in college hoops. This is the youngest one, Canyon Barry of The College of Charleston. He is a redshirt freshman and he does in fact shoot underhand free throws like his old man.

To give two random asides, it's obvious the Miami Hurricanes are going to have growing pains with their inexperienced team if they're losing to St. Francis, and I thought it was strange that Wisconsin would play St. Johns in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, then I saw that they played in a 3,000 seat brand new arena (the Sanford Pentagon) and it's actually awesome as it's modern and yet has various touches straight out of the 50's or 60's. You might as well try to be original if you're building a small arena like that, I say.

To give two random asides, it's obvious the Miami Hurricanes are going to have growing pains with their inexperienced team if they're losing to St. Francis, and I thought it was strange that Wisconsin would play St. Johns in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, then I saw that they played in a 3,000 seat brand new arena (the Sanford Pentagon) and it's actually awesome as it's modern and yet has various touches straight out of the 50's or 60's. You might as well try to be original if you're building a small arena like that, I say.

Yeah, the Bucks and T'Wolves played a preseason game there this season.  It looks like the world's nicest high school gym.  Very cool building.

I went to the Badgers first preseason game.  They look somewhat less than inspiring this year. Ben Brust was doing a good job getting to the rim and creating shots.  Sam Dekker had some moments in the second half after disappearing in the first.  And when UW-LaCrosse threw a zone at them they really struggled.  Defensively they looked bad, missing assignments and getting lost on switches.  History suggests that Bo Ryan can tighten that up, but I don't think the talent is there to compete against the top of the Big 10.

I head to Chicago on Tuesday for the Champion's Classic.  I can't believe I'm going to see Wiggins in person.  I guess some other guys will be playing too, I dunno.

That loss was a killer. It was a REALLY great game, though. We came back eight down with about three minutes to go and tied it at the end of regulation. We then were up three with the ball in OT w/ about 45 seconds left and coughed up a turnover. The Jaspers pulled away in Double OT.

Tough loss but Manhattan is a very good team. They should make the tournament this year and, if they do, I'm picking them to win a game. Their defense was outrageously good. They had good size, depth and have a bunch of lights-out shooters.

I head to Chicago on Tuesday for the Champion's Classic.  I can't believe I'm going to see Wiggins in person.  I guess some other guys will be playing too, I dunno.

Oh, that's pretty sweet. It will be pretty hard to live up to all of the hype he has gotten this year.

Indeed the marathon of live college basketball has begun. On right now is Wichita State at home vs. Western Kentucky. It started at midnight Wichita game but there isn't an empty seat in the house. What likely will be the highlight of what I am able to see from the marathon: two gray-haired elderly ladies passing a can of Rockstar Absolute Zero between each other and one of them examining the can like, "What in the hell AM I drinking?"

Oh, that's pretty sweet. It will be pretty hard to live up to all of the hype he has gotten this year.

Indeed the marathon of live college basketball has begun. On right now is Wichita State at home vs. Western Kentucky. It started at midnight Wichita game but there isn't an empty seat in the house. What likely will be the highlight of what I am able to see from the marathon: two gray-haired elderly ladies passing a can of Rockstar Absolute Zero between each other and one of them examining the can like, "What in the hell AM I drinking?"

For posterity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Wjzg-iH4w

Speaking from experience, the elderly women at Shocker games do not screw around.  There was a bluehair in a wheelchair that sat near us for a couple of seasons that yelled some of the foulest things I've heard at a sporting event.

Shocks looked good last night.  Their defense is already on point.

For posterity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Wjzg-iH4w

Speaking from experience, the elderly women at Shocker Missouri Valley games do not screw around.  There was a bluehair in a wheelchair that sat near us for a couple of seasons that yelled some of the foulest things I've heard at a sporting event.

FTFY. Those schools are incredibly passionate for basketball and the alumni never lose it... one of my favorite basketball memories came when we beat DePaul in 1993 for the first time in 40 years and one older dude behind me and the radio booth literally passed out. Awe-inspiring.

• Like 2

Julius Randle is a load offensively but can't play defense for shit. Hands down on post defense, doesn't hustle back. Add in the fact that he can't shoot free throws and while he's got all the raw talent in the world, dude isn't even close to NBA material right now. Didn't box out on the bucket that sealed the game against the Spartans tonight, either.

Fun Badger game tonight.  They scored over 100, which is like seeing a unicorn, and Frank Kaminsky set the UW single-game scoring record with 43 points.  As a bonus North Dakota had a kid who is a dead ringer for Delonte West put up 37.  Crazy night.