DVDVR Message Board

2013-2014 COLLEGE BASKETBALL THREAD

RIPPA

There are A LOT of teams that could win the title this year. Sparty certainly appears to be the best team, but there is more parody than last year where UL and Indiana were clearly the two best teams.

We have to cut Kansas and Kentucky (yes, my team) some slack. They're dealing with a lot of freshmen and will look different (better) in March. Wiggins sucked tonight but he's still an AMAZING talent. That eventually shines through.

• 2 weeks later...

Southern Illinois is now 2-8 after losing tonight to Murray State.

SIU coach Barry Hinson was not too happy with his team.

He goes on quite the rant about his team. Among the highlights, he explicitly says his team is "soft", "mama's boys", and "uncoachable", and says his guards "were awful", and his wife could shoot better than his big men. He also likes to tell her that "size don't matter".

Southern Illinois is now 2-8 after losing tonight to Murray State.

SIU coach Barry Hinson was not too happy with his team.

He goes on quite the rant about his team. Among the highlights, he explicitly says his team is "soft", "mama's boys", and "uncoachable", and says his guards "were awful", and his wife could shoot better than his big men. He also likes to tell her that "size don't matter".

Reminds me of when we went into Terre Haute in 1993 and held the Sycs to SIX POINTS in the second half. After the game their coach said he would've thought they were throwing the game if he didn't know they were too shitty to pull it off (not his exact words).

Also, this:

mrgh.png

Halftime: Southern University 57, Champion Baptist College 6

I found what the matchmaker who booked pro wrestling squash shows in the 1980s and Butterbean fights in the 1990s is doing now. Champion Baptist is an extremely obscure apparently-accredited college in Arkansas that has already faced 3 D1 schools and gave up 100+ points every time.

I think we could pick 5 random people from this board, put them against a 3-9 team like Southern, and post at least 6 points in a half

So we just had a record broken in an NCAA men's basketball game. To be honest I would expect this in a women's basketball game but this is a men's score. At halftime it is:

Southern University 57

Champion Baptist 6

At one point Southern was up 44-0. That's the record which was set.

I looked online as I sure as hell have never heard of them. The Champion Baptist Tigers are from Hot Springs, Arkansas and compete in something called the ACCA. I thought, "What in the shit is the ACCA?" It's the Association of Christian College Athletics. According to someone on Twitter, most of the schools in the organization aren't even regionally accredited. I don't know why they scheduled them, but so did SE Louisiana, New Orleans, and Mississippi Valley State, all of which were total blowouts.

From the ESPN story

Champion Baptist College was founded in 2005 and, according to Southern athletic director William J. Broussard, "has played four other D-I [schools] in the region."

When asked why the Jaguars would schedule a game against Champion Baptist, Broussard said Southern has trouble scheduling out-of-conference games against programs larger than itself.

Broussard added that money probably factored in to Champion Baptist's decision to play the Jaguars.

"I assume it's a budget balancer for them as well," he said.

For some reason I thought Bradley had the record for most points before the other team scored... turns out it's the record for scoring the most points before the other team score and then LOSING. (1977: leads New Mexico State 28-0, loses 117-109.)

and Deadspin checks in:

The NCAA's rules for what constitutes a legal opponent are shockingly brief: If a school offers a four-year degree and plays the majority of its games against U.S.-based college varsity teams, it counts as a legal opponent for a Division I basketball team.

Which I think means Full Sail University could legally face D1 basketball teams. Which could get some valuable basketball experience for WWE NXT wrestlers

As if the Southern Illinois Salukis season wasn't going bad enough (they are now 4-11 after losing to Pete's favorite school-Illinois State-today), they had to drive back from ISU back to campus and well, they were doing it in really awful snowing conditions and the bus driver stopped because it was so bad and well, the bus is stuck on the now-closed Interstate 57.

They apparently have enough food and gas to survive until the next day when a tow truck can get them out, but considering that it may be colder down there now than it was at the game in Green Bay today and I know the entire area is going to have high temperatures of below zero on Monday, what a shitty no good rotten season for the team.

Badgers don't usually pour it on like this.

They're not used to having an offense this potent.  They don't know their own strength.

Wiggins made two absolutely terrible decisions at the end of a close game with Oklahoma last night.  He also had a couple of "Oh shit, how did he do that?" plays earlier in the game.  As much as I love having him as a Jayhawk I think he would ahve been better served going somewhere with a simpler offensive scheme, as KU's motion offense just does nothing for him.  As much as it pains me to say it, he would be absolutely killing it in a Calipari drive-and-kick offense.  KU's shitty outside shooting isn't helping him any, either.  This is really Ellis & Embiid's team, they just mesh so well working the high and low post respectively.  Selden looked really good, knocking down some clutch shots, and Frankamp gave good minutes for the first time this season.