DVDVR Message Board

New Years Resolutions?

Niners Fan in CT

I've never made it a point to say "this year is going to be different!" but after everything that's happened this past month or so I thought it might be nice to at least set some goals.

The first thing I want to do is get a new job. It's not that I don't love where I work or the people I work with. It's about the money and progressing. After I graduated I just sort of stayed where I was at because it pays the bills and I was comfortable and it's not really stressful.  But with that said, I understand that I could be doing more and I'd like to start saving more money so it's time to move on. It's time to really grow up. 

I probably won't be ready to date again for a while and usually I tend to develop relationships when I'm not seeking them.

I need to get back into the gym too. I'm 180lbs but I'm just skinny. I've lost a lot of muscle.

Need to get back into the jogging to lose weight. I've been hit by psoriasis on my hands and feet. being a hefty guy (5'8", 260lbs) the cracks in the skin have gone down to the quick making it difficult to put pressure on my feet.

Now that the condition is as under control as I hope, I need to get back onto the wagon. 

Apart from that - usual stuff, eat better, weigh less, drink less.

I have the standard resolutions.  Definitely want to lose weight, manage my money better, drink less, and learn more.  I'm just trying to find a way where I don't fall into that resolution trap that everybody seems to do.  I'm going to the gym tomorrow, but so is everybody else.  Makes me want to stay away for a while and do my thing at home.  I feel the best thing to do is make myself accountable throughout the year.  I just don't want these plans to fizzle out, especially if I want to move to a house eventually and have a kid.

Well, big picture, I'm definitely going to get my PhD this year. I'm resolved to publish a couple of articles as well. I'm hopeful of some gainful, permanent employment, but not counting on it.

I have some informal resolutions, like losing about ten pounds, and trying to stress out less.

My one formal resolution is that I'm going to read a short story a day for the entire year. I tried that in 2013 and probably read about 200 stories before falling off the wagon.

Write a minimum of 1000 words per day for publication,  (I usually advise beginners to shoot for 500 words per day of anything; yeah, it sounds easy, but... It's sooooo easy to make little deals with yourself such as: "I'll double up tomorrow; let's see what's on the Network...")1000 is working at a pretty good clip along with fact-checking and what-not, pretty much fills my three-hour day... 'Course if I'm lucky enough to get on a roll, my record stands at 7,335 starting at 5:00 PM and then looking at the clock when finished with the story only to realize that it was 4:30 AM. Love to get in the zone like that more frequently, but that's a really rare occurrence.

Ain't going to make a resolution about it, but I have a feeling that my days as a smoker might be numbered, just seems like it's time...

• Like 1

I have a few:

1) CREATIVE PROJECTS. I'm going to go to either business school or law school at some point in time. (Hopefully business school.) My job will pay for a lot of it, so I should use that opportunity. I don't have an exact timeline in place because of some other issues, but hopefully I'll start in the Spring 2016. That gives me XXX months to get my extra-curricular work done. I've got a lot of plates spinning and want to get this stuff done.

2) GET ORGANIZED. I have too many plates spinning. I'm afraid I won't have the focus to get all what I want done.

3) READ MORE. Trying to finish a book every two weeks or so. This has been a goal the past few months so not necessarily a NYR. I've been keeping up on it. Less time online (you may have noticed my NXT recap word counts are no longer the size of Philip Roth novellas) and more time with my head in the books.

I will never ever accidentally let a whole goddamned unopened Arnold Palmer jug slip off the table and onto the kitchen floor while setting my groceries on the counter at 10:36 at night after getting off fucking bullshit work.  Never again.  This will never happen again.  I could've had the cops called on me if the neighbors heard that shit happening.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The wife and I made a mutual resolution of no more fighting or arguing over stupid shit. We got into a HUGE fight on Christmas of 2013 and spent most of 2014 on eggshells around each other. We had our good moments too, of course. But, decided that we don't want anymore BS like that, so we're starting fresh.

• Like 1